Answers to emode.com IQ test ( "the original IQ test" )

Jay

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:29 pm
niky wrote:

as for the numbers question... 900 1000 1100 1200... John always likes the number that is 100 higher... and the only number that this would hold true for in this case... but it's not a very elegant solution... :p

John doesn't always like the number that is 100 higher... then what about 99 and 100?
You're going the wrong direction there :wink:

Original Question:
Quote:
John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

John only likes the numbers that are perfect squares:
400= 20 * 20
100= 10 * 10
2500= 50 * 50
The numbers 300, 99, and 2400 are not perfect squares.

The choices were

900= 30 * 30 and is a perfect square.
Therefore, 900 is the answer.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:38 pm
Re: race question
cketcham wrote:
She does and they tie. No?

no.

Spanky explained it, as have I so I won't repeat it but you can find them earlier in the thread.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 11:59 pm
Tempting/thorny is not a contrast either. There's missing context here, which is that though the rose may be tempting, it will hurt you if you pick it. I could come up with an equally applicable context in which lonely would be a better word.

Edit: Actually, it's more grammatical than anything. You would say "lonliest" not "most lonely" anyway.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 12:03 am
The context is implied rufio. The test only asks for the best match and the very clearly implied contrast is the best available.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 01:07 am
Not in that sentence it isn't. There could be a context like, an observation that roses that grow more closely together generally have more thorns. We don't know, it doesn't say. The "tempting" context is just the most cliched, not the most logical.

IQ tests don't measure IQ - they measure culture.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 01:34 am
... ok
0 Replies

billyjeanwalker

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 01:41 pm
famous quotes...not logic
Although the sentences with missing words can be figured out with logic and reasoning, due to the fact that the alternate choices are not logical, they are famous quotes designed to test ones knowledge of literature and philosophy.

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple"

- Oscar Wilde

"A cynic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing"

- Oscar Wilde

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next; Virtue is doing it."

- David Starr Jordan

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."

- Socrates

"Even the most tempting rose has thorns."

"It is easier to point the finger than to offer a helping hand."

I believe the last two are from religious texts, probably the bible. Although I am not sure which testament.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 01:43 pm
The choices are logical. It helps to have common knowledge of the sayings but the answers are still the most logical choice of the ones offered.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 10:56 pm
I still say that "thorny" is not the opposite of "tempting". Contest that if you will.

Those last two are way too eloquent for either testament of the bible. They're just truisms.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 11:04 pm
well. . . in the case of roses, the analogy holds. . . the "downside" or the evil of a rose is its thorns. . . therefore, even the most tempting rose must have a hint of evil, ie, thorns. . .
0 Replies

ciakow

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 04:02 pm
Strange test
With English not being my native tongue I expected to have a lower score than I have gotten in the past, but 127!!!

I checked the answers and I dont agree on these:

2: Monkey -> I thought all the other ones graze. And the explanation given was: a kangaroo stands on two feet... So do a lot of monkeys every now and then, but I've never seen the others stand on two

20: Just like someone else said: given the same situation or even racing for time; the average is the same so they finish the same!

31: I guess this was my misstake... I thought they meant a letter as in; a, w, t or something... in that case my answer would have made the most sense.

40: I actually got this one right but for a different reason: straight lines&shapes go with straights (even though the corners aren't) and rounds go with rounds, except for the answer...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 04:09 pm
ciakow,

The "which is the odd one out" questions are some of the least straightforward. I named Kangaroo because of it's posture but maybe they were going for marsupial being the difference, I don;t remember what animals they gave as a choice so I can't confirm this.

In regard to the race, that is simply not true. See the calculations given by several people on this thread. e.g.

spanky wrote:

Jack travels a distance "d" at 30 mph and returns a distance "d" at 10 mph. His total travel time is d/30 + d/10 = d/30 + 3d/30 = 4d/30

Sandy travels a distance d at 20 mph and returns a distance d at 20 mph. Her total travel time is d/20 + d/20 = 2d/20 = 3d/30 which is d/30 less than Jack.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 04:44 pm
Wow
Check it out - welcome all the new members posting here!
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:11 pm
Thanks, husker :-) The welcomes are well-appreciated. . .
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 01:15 am
"Evil" is not semantically equivalent to "thorny" either, and "evil" is not the opposite of "tempting" anyway, and as far as I know, the two words are only strongly linked in western theology.

Give it up, guys. You can't claim that natural language is "logical". It's always cultural.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 02:26 am
rufio,

I have given up, but not because I think you are right. It's because like fresco said, the "game of "enfant terrible" and "having the last word" is wearing a bit thin".
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 03:00 am
Actually, I would prefer not to have the last word. I would prefer that some of you people who claim to have differing opinions than me might actually address my posts.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:46 am
Well. . . I think we've tried. . . the fact is, thorn is the right answer, and if not because thorny is the 'opposite' to you (which I don't think anyone has claimed), than because, unfortunately, thorny is the ONLY answer that makes any sense. Sorry.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:36 am
rufio wrote:
Actually, I would prefer not to have the last word. I would prefer that some of you people who claim to have differing opinions than me might actually address my posts.

In this case you might want to ditch the "enfant terrible" game then, many would be willing to elucidate but as someone else said they are "nonplussed" by your approach.

I tried to engage you earlier and ended up wondering why I made the effort.
0 Replies

bazooooka

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:05 pm
some more insight!!!!!!!!
another way to look at it is that he like 400 (4+0+0) 100 (1+0+0) and 2500 (2+7+0+0)

thus he like 1, 4, and 7

the next number would be 10

thus 1000 (could be seen as 10+0+0)

thats getting kinda crazy though

ps..also it was "grape" cuz all the other come from a tree - still they all have skin thus coconut seems equally wrong; as for jack and sandy - SANDY will always win - just pick any hypothetical distance and figure it out

>>
>>
John only likes the numbers that are perfect squares:
400= 20 * 20
100= 10 * 10
2500= 50 * 50
The numbers 300, 99, and 2400 are not perfect squares.

The choices were

900= 30 * 30 and is a perfect square.
Therefore, 900 is the answer.
0 Replies