Answers to emode.com IQ test ( "the original IQ test" )

aking

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 04:07 pm
Emode
Me and a few friends have just taken the original IQ test on Emode. Is there any relation that anyone knows of FOR SURE as to the raw score and the type? For instance, two of us scored exactly the same, but one was a factual curator and one was a visionary philosopher.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 04:20 pm
They decide that for ya based on how you do with the math and spatial questions. I do not know exactly which questions they use for what lil' title they give.
0 Replies

boringnbored

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:49 pm
i got a 144 with your answers
i'm a visionary philospher now:

I wasn't sure if i paid enough attention , I might have messed up.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:57 pm
I took that test and got 160, I think. Or maybe it wasn't that test.

IQ tests are generally wrong, anyway, and I already see a problem here - if you don't know what a kangaroo is, it doesn't mean you have a lower IQ, but it does mean you'll score lower on the test. There were actually academic intelligence tests that we had to take in grade school that involved things we might not know about (a school in Arizona - they asked us about galoshes) and there was a big hoop-la over it, I remember.

Even if they were in any way accurate, there's no way to measure only IQ and not culture as well.
0 Replies

Cham Zord

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:45 am
While we're on the whole "IQ" topic, does anyone have all the answers for EMode's Super IQ Test?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 07:37 am
I didn't bother taking it and I cancelled my subscription. Is it one of the free ones? If I have the time and remember to do it I'll post the answers.
0 Replies

Cham Zord

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:43 am
Hey, thanks. Yeah, it's one of the free ones. Five pages long, or something like that. Anyways, it's like an advanced version of the original IQ test, just with harder and longer questions.
0 Replies

gasgiant

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 07:57 pm
emode IQ test
For all of the "scientific" -ness that's claimed. It's really not. There are many flaws to tests like these. For instance:

1. Knowledge. At least one question required knowledge of the Pythagorean Theorem. If you never took geometry, you're SOL on that one.
2. As several people have pointed out, there were multiple answers possible on more than one question. To select one possible as the "best" fit is to engage in biased judgement.
3. Even if the test featured questions requiring little knowledge, and that had only one answer, the fact that the correct answer hides among only four others means that people will sometimes score correctly by accident.
4. No doubt a small number of people will click the wrong answer by mistake, as is easily possible with the one that looked like a butterfly chad to me.

So they shouldn't tout this test as scientific.
0 Replies

whatis1029

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 03:20 am
What is the highest possible score issued for this test?
0 Replies

niky

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 08:46 am
Quote:
24. What number is one half of one quarter of one tenth of 800?

Question... I merely joined this board because this freaking question is bugging the HECK out of me... so far as I remember, the choices were

something else...

and as 1/2 of 1/4 is 1/8 and 1/10th of 800 is 80, I still can't figure WHAT THEY WANT you to answer...

This test is seriously f*d up...

and as others have noted:

Quote:
4. Even the most ___________ rose has thorns.

Answer: tempting

Explanation: because the other words don't make a sensical contrast

lonely in this case makes perfect contextual sense.

Quote:
7. John likes 400 but not 300; he likes 100 but not 99; he likes 2500 but not 2400. Which does he like?

Answer: 900

Explanation: search this site, Jespah answered this here before. Many of these questions are all over the net, that's why I doubt emode minds if the answers are posted.

I call BS on this, because I answered TWICE because the first results pissed me off (said I was only 133 :p), and by answering 1200, I got 135... that was the only change I made.

Quote:
20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

Answer: sandy

Explanation: jack only catches up at the end

false... neither should win, as they average the same speed... all things being equal... and considering they leave the line at the same time, jack is in the lead at point Y and SANDY catches up at the finish line...

I've noticed only ONE question he got right that I didn't... what's up with this? why did I get 133?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 09:06 am
Welcome niky. I can answer your first question:

1/10 of 800 is 80.
1/4 of 80 is 20.
1/2 of 20 is 10.

How did you get 80?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:15 am
niky wrote:

Quote:
4. Even the most ___________ rose has thorns.

Answer: tempting

Explanation: because the other words don't make a sensical contrast

lonely in this case makes perfect contextual sense.

Ba ba booey makes perfect contextual sense too. But the word "even" in the sentence implies a contrast. And lonely/thorny is not a contrast so it was not the best answer.

i.e. Even though he is repulsive he is lonely. <- that is an equivalent, the contrast would be fatally flawed.

Quote:
I call BS on this, because I answered TWICE because the first results pissed me off (said I was only 133 :p), and by answering 1200, I got 135... that was the only change I made.

Fair enough, but the situation you describe does not make it BS at all. The difference in score doesn;t mean one was the right answer and the other was not.

If you doubt any of my answers take the test and use my answers, you will score the maximum score like I said.

Quote:
false... neither should win, as they average the same speed... all things being equal... and considering they leave the line at the same time, jack is in the lead at point Y and SANDY catches up at the finish line...

You are wrong. My explanation is, indeed, confusing but your answer is wrong. Dunno why i explained it that way but I'll try again.

Think of it this way, each leg of the race is 30 miles. When Jack reaches the mid point sandy will be 10 miles behind him. 10 miles later they will be neck to neck. The rest of the way sandy will be in the lead.

Jack loses the lead two thirds of the way in.

Quote:
I've noticed only ONE question he got right that I didn't... what's up with this? why did I get 133?

Because you are wrong about being right. ;-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 10:21 am
I just want to step in to congratulate the first Ba ba booey reference I have seen on A2K to date.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 04:57 pm
niky wrote:
Quote:

The answer to this one is 10. Why?

1/10 of 800 is 80
1/4 of 80 is 20
1/2 of 20 is 10.
0 Replies

niky

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 08:56 am
sorry... it appears a lot of people answered the question i edited out...

I just realized I was wrong... i read it as 1/2 of 1/4 OR 1/10 of 800...

my bad... either I need to get glasses, or I need to lower my screen resolution from 1600x1200 to something approaching readable. Sad

and contextually, lonely/thorns makes sense...

*Even lonely people have their defenses..., or even lonely people are defensive? - more allegorical than folksy... oh well...

I understand WHY the answer should be "tempting", but IMHO, from a poetic point of view, it's cool.

I know I'm wrong there. :p

as for the race... I can't accept it... not elegant from a mathematical viewpoint. if the two of them average the same speed over the same distance, logic dictates that neither should win. And how WOULD you know the distance? No matter what it is, they are averaging the same speed over the same distance... to and fro and fro and to are equal... there should be no discrepancy.

as for the numbers question... 900 1000 1100 1200... John always likes the number that is 100 higher... and the only number that this would hold true for in this case... but it's not a very elegant solution... :p

I can accept you got a higher score, after the first run, I realized I was a bit careless/err... blurry eyed (damn screen...) but you've made mistakes, too... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I wonder if it's possible to get a higher score?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2003 07:23 pm
niky,

Again, the answers I listed here, are the answers that emode accepts as the correct ones. Now I know you really wish to dispute whether they are correct but you do so by disputing things that make no sense (it doesn't matter at all how long the race is for example, make up your own distanc and the results are all the same) but as I have been saying you can check for yourself and that way I don't have to keep repeating the same thing ad nauseum.

144 is the highest score their test gives, to answer your last question.

As to the race knowing the distance means nothing.

Edit: I just realized that you need to be a paid subscriber for them to give you an answer sheet. Now The obdurate refusal to accept the answers makes a bit of sense, you have only yourself to rely on and emode isn't telling you the answers.
0 Replies

bfree

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:33 pm
Re: 20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

If they travelled for the same amount of time (not distance) at each speed then they have the same average speed. The way to figure this type of question out is to simply input a distance and see what happens, e.g. suppose the distance between x and y was 10 miles:
Jacks : at 30mph = 20minutes at 10mph = 60 minutes TOTAL 80minutes
Sandy: at 20 mph = 30minutes at 20 mph = 30minutes TOTAL 60minutes
obviously Sandy finished first unless she stopped for a toilet break which we know would have added 30 minutes to her trip!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2003 08:56 pm
I tried explaining it that way and niky just got caught up on how I "knew" the distance. Works on any distance. Rolling Eyes

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

spanky

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2003 02:57 am
Mathematical Elegance
Niky,

Let's get elegant. Let's say the distance between x and y is "d" miles. We can calculate the time it takes to go "d" miles by dividing by the rate of speed in miles per hour (miles / miles per hour = hours). For instance if the distance d were equal to 40 miles and we travelled 20 miles per hour then it would take 40 miles / 20 miles per hour = 2 hours. But to maintain elegance we will keep the distance generically "d"

Jack travels a distance "d" at 30 mph and returns a distance "d" at 10 mph. His total travel time is d/30 + d/10 = d/30 + 3d/30 = 4d/30

Sandy travels a distance d at 20 mph and returns a distance d at 20 mph. Her total travel time is d/20 + d/20 = 2d/20 = 3d/30 which is d/30 less than Jack.
0 Replies

cketcham

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2003 05:40 pm
race question
But the miles per hour for both Sandy and Jack are equal for an equal distance. They both come out to 40 mph for the overall distance which is the same for both of them. Jack would get to point Y first, but he is slower by 10 mph coming back which gives Sandy a chance to gain 10 mph to catch up. She does and they tie. No?
The question is not who got to point Y last, or who catches up from point Y to point X.

20. In a race from point X to point Y and back, Jack averages 30 miles per hour to point Y and 10 miles per hour back to point X. Sandy averages 20 miles per hour in both directions. Between Jack and Sandy, who finished first?

0 Replies