Fred Thompson... unclear on the concept?

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:42 am
they are "illegally" sneaking into THIS country. fyi, that's why we call them "illegal aliens."

i've never seen a tv for $10... and a large portion of these people can barely afford food or basic needs.

so give them all their $10 tv... are all these spanish channels you speak of on broadcast cable? NO.

keep diggin.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 11:46 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
they are "illegally" sneaking into THIS country. fyi, that's why we call them "illegal aliens."

i've never seen a tv for $10... and a large portion of these people can barely afford food or basic needs.

so give them all their $10 tv... are all these spanish channels you speak of on broadcast cable? NO.

keep diggin.

You've never bought a crappy ass old TV, then, with a small screen. But they work just fine.

In Austin there were 3 spanish channels on Broadcast TV; here in the bay area there are six. My cable package gives me eight. You don't know what you are talking about when it comes to Spanish language TV - or the price of cheap old TVs, it seems Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:06 pm
This thread is about American citizens... not about illegal immigrants.

My point is that Fred Thompson-- and the Republicans in general, are spitting in the face of Spanish speaking American voters (and there are millions of Spanish speaking American citizens).

The immigration issue, the English only issue and many other issues important to ethnic minorities; like affirmative action and health care, will be decided by elected officials.

This is why it is very important to me that the right people are elected to Congress and the White House.

And... this is why issues like English only ballots that upset voters in minority communities... and why statements that are taken as racist by many Americans, have such effect.

When we get legislation passed that we like because we win elections since our side is motivated and unified... it will make it all worth it.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:09 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

My point is that Fred Thompson-- and the Republicans in general, are spitting in the face of Spanish speaking American voters (and there are millions of Spanish speaking American citizens).

The immigration issue, the English only issue and many other issues important to ethnic minorities; like affirmative action and health care, will be decided by elected officials.

This is why it is very important to me that the right people are elected to Congress and the White House.

And... this is why issues like English only ballots that upset voters in minority communities... and why statements that are taken as racist by many Americans, have such effect.

When we get legislation passed that we like because we win elections since our side is motivated and unified... it will make it all worth it.

That's a joke, right?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:10 pm
woiyo wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

That's a joke, right?

Why would it be a joke?

It seems that we have one party here in America who is focused on inclusion, and one which focuses on excluding people who aren't the same as them. Which one do you think is going to get more votes in the long run?

Jeez

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:12 pm
Nope, no joke. You will understand November of next year.

Fred Thompson's quotes were played quite a bit in Florida (not the Florida has ever had much affect on national elections).
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:13 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

That's a joke, right?

Why would it be a joke?

It seems that we have one party here in America who is focused on inclusion, and one which focuses on excluding people who aren't the same as them. Which one do you think is going to get more votes in the long run?

Jeez

Cycloptichorn

Stop, please.... you're obviously joking.

BOTH parties ignore the rule of law. That has to be obvious since we already have immigration laws on the books that no one is enforcing.

BOTH parties are behind special interest groups and against working class citizens.

Stop the joking around and get serious.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:24 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

That's a joke, right?

Why would it be a joke?

Jeez

Cycloptichorn

Stop, please.... you're obviously joking.

BOTH parties ignore the rule of law. That has to be obvious since we already have immigration laws on the books that no one is enforcing.

BOTH parties are behind special interest groups and against working class citizens.

Stop the joking around and get serious.

Nobody's joking here.

The Dems are telling those who don't speak English: hey, we're not going to discriminate against your right to vote.

The Republicans are telling them: we certainly intend to discriminate against your right to vote, if we can get away with it.

Don't muddy the issue by bringing other stuff into it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:31 pm
Yet, the current immigration law is quite specific with certain exclusions, regarding English.

Yea, I know, rules just keep getting in the way.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:34 pm
There happens to be a number of immigrants here, in Mo, and there are no spanish broadcast stations. There are also none in Va (unless added VERY recently).

And, why exactly does it offend anyone that a ballot only be in English? It is the national language and all.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:40 pm
If you don't like what BOTH parties are doing... then don't vote for either party. That is fine with me.

My perspective is that the current immigration laws are unworkable. I want congress to fix them rather make the current mess even worse.

The Democrats are much more likely to fix the current laws then the Republicans are. This is one of the reasons why I will vote for, donate to, and work for Democratic candidates.

The way we will resolve this issue for once and for all is to elected more Democrats to office.

If you disagree with this, then the fact that you don't support either party is fine with me.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:43 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
If you don't like what BOTH parties are doing... then don't vote for either party. That is fine with me.

My perspective is that the current immigration laws are unworkable. I want congress to fix them rather make the current mess even worse.

The Democrats are much more likely to fix the current laws then the Republicans are. This is one of the reasons why I will vote for, donate to, and work for Democratic candidates.

The way we will resolve this issue for once and for all is to elected more Democrats to office.

If you disagree with this, then the fact that you don't support either party is fine with me.

The last Democratic Administration did not enforce immigration laws on the books.

Why should I think that the current crop of candidates will enforce any current or new immigration legislation?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:46 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
There happens to be a number of immigrants here, in Mo, and there are no spanish broadcast stations. There are also none in Va (unless added VERY recently).

And, why exactly does it offend anyone that a ballot only be in English? It is the national language and all.

I don't think English is the 'official' language of America. I'm pretty sure we don't have any official language.

Further, are you counting Kansas City in Missouri?

Quote:
KUKC-LP is a low-powered broadcast television station in Kansas City, Missouri and is licensed to the city with offices in Overland Park, Kansas. KUKC is a licensed Univision network affiliate and the only Spanish-language television station in the area. It is owned and operated by Equity Broadcasting, who programs KUKC via satellite from its headquarters in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Univision, the largest spanish-only channel in America, is owned by Hallmark Greeting cards co., which is located in... Missouri.

It isn't a question of offense but one of equal access. Let's say that we have a 60 year old man who naturalized 5 years ago. His english is passable but not great. Would you rather have him be confused when voting, or have it very clearly written in a language he could understand?

Let me ask, why are you offended by the current system - one which is inclusive for different types of folks?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 12:54 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:

I don't think English is the 'official' language of America. I'm pretty sure we don't have any official language.

Quote:
KUKC-LP is a low-powered broadcast television station in Kansas City, Missouri and is licensed to the city with offices in Overland Park, Kansas. KUKC is a licensed Univision network affiliate and the only Spanish-language television station in the area. It is owned and operated by Equity Broadcasting, who programs KUKC via satellite from its headquarters in Little Rock, Arkansas.

I stand corrected! There is a station in KC. However, access to a single station (and point of view) doesn't really offer all there is to know.

Quote:

Univision, the largest spanish-only channel in America, is owned by Hallmark Greeting cards co., which is located in... Missouri.

It isn't a question of offense but one of equal access. Let's say that we have a 60 year old man who naturalized 5 years ago. His english is passable but not great. Would you rather have him be confused when voting, or have it very clearly written in a language he could understand?

Let me ask, why are you offended by the current system - one which is inclusive for different types of folks?

Cycloptichorn

I'm not "offended" by the current system. I'm offended at the idea of entitlement that people have. I couldn't go to another country and bitch and moan because they don't speak MY language. It should be expected of me to learn the prevalent language of that nation.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:02 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
USAFHokie80 wrote:

Quote:

I stand corrected! There is a station in KC. However, access to a single station (and point of view) doesn't really offer all there is to know.

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

I'm not "offended" by the current system. I'm offended at the idea of entitlement that people have. I couldn't go to another country and bitch and moan because they don't speak MY language. It should be expected of me to learn the prevalent language of that nation.

There's a difference between the US and many other countries around the world. You're seeking to eliminate one of the differences that makes us great: we have an inclusive society instead of an exclusive one.

Other then on a purely moral level, why do you care if someone else is using a ballot in Chinese or whatever? How does it affect you at all?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:10 pm
The problem is that things like this cannot be equally applied. Are we to provide ballots in the native language of every possible immigrant?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:18 pm
I don't really care about the ballot issue... other than the fact it is one more thing that motivates Latino, Haitian and Asian American citizens to vote for Democrats.

It is very easy for immigrant advocacy groups to go into these communities to help them register and teach them how to vote. This happens to give those of us who want the Democrats to win more elections a bit of an edge.

Not only do you alienate voters with a non-issue, but you also give immigrant activists another way to influence voters.

No, I don't mind this at all.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:20 pm
So you really think that all immigrants, for the sake of being immigrants, will vote dem ?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:22 pm
USAFHokie80 wrote:
The problem is that things like this cannot be equally applied. Are we to provide ballots in the native language of every possible immigrant?

Why not? Just request a ballot in time before the election and I'm sure we could print 'em right up. Most gov't documents are available in a multitude of languages and translation software makes it easier then ever to do.

I suspect that your problem is more based around a moral objection then a practical one.

Quote:
So you really think that all immigrants, for the sake of being immigrants, will vote dem ?

Well, we are the ones who are willing to let them be Americans without forcing them to learn our language. It's not hard to predict where their votes are going to go for the most part.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 01:27 pm
Translation software is crap.

My argument isn't a moral one at all. I really don't see this as a moral v. immoral issue.

Also, for the most part, I abhor most republican beliefs. Though, I do not consider myself a democrat. I think partisanship is somewhat silly. I try to look at things from a logical and reasoned point.

To function well in the US, people need to know the language of the majority.
0 Replies