Fred Thompson... unclear on the concept?

old europe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:14 pm
Huh? Weird.

When Cyc said "Great White Hype", I thought he was making fun of the fact that Thompson has frequently been touted as the "White Knight of the GOP", or as the "Dark Horse White Knight"....

Apparently, I was mistaken.

(So we can't call him "White Knight" any more?)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:17 pm
old europe wrote:
Huh? Weird.

When Cyc said "Great White Hype", I thought he was making fun of the fact that Thompson has frequently been touted as the "White Knight of the GOP", or as the "Dark Horse White Knight"....

Apparently, I was mistaken.

(So we can't call him "White Knight" any more?)

You aren't mistaken: you are talking about a different literary term for the same thing, ie., that Thompson is the 'white knight' who will ride in and save the day.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:21 pm
Ah, good.

Honestly, I've never thought about whether the metaphor "White Knight" might have racial overtones. Wouldn't have thought so, really ....
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:22 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lol, you guys...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116448/

Which, of course, is a parody of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_White_Hope

Study up a bit and you'll see that there's no racism involved.

Cycloptichorn

Sure there is.

From the article...

"Acting as a lens focused on a racist society, The Great White Hope explores how segregation and prejudice created the demand for a "great white hope" who would defeat Johnson and how this, in turn, affected the boxer's life and career."

Shame on you.

You could have said "Great Hollywood Dope" to describe Thompson, but no, you decided to play the race card.

And you call yourself a "liberal"...Indeed!

But, I didn't say 'the great white Hope,' I said 'the great white HYPE,' referring to the first link, which is a parody of the second one.

There's no race card. C'mon, you can do better than this.

Cycloptichorn

I never mentioned the word "HYPE" or HOPE". You did and even supplied the link to "HOPE". You threw out the "WHITE" and made it racial...not me.

Don't try to double talk your way out of this one and blame ME.

You were better off saying he is the GREAT HOLLYWOOD DOPE.

Especially since ALL the candidates so far are "White" (to varying degrees), any of them could be called what you called Thompson.

Liberal INDEED!!!!!

Sigh

What do you mean by 'Liberal Indeed?'

let me hold your hand through this one:

I said:
Quote:

He's the Great White Hype for the Republicans this cycle.

I think he has more chinks then armor itself...

Cycloptichorn

You and BrandX accused me of racism, so I link to:

Quote:

Which is a movie called 'the Great White HYPE.' Which is about finding a candidate, someone, who can beat a boxer who can't be beat. While the movie does have some racial elements to it, it isn't about racism, but putting hope behind a candidate who doesn't really have a shot.

I added:
Quote:

Just to give you some background on where the term 'great white hype' comes from. And the WHOLE THING is a take-off on the 'Great White Whale,' of Moby Dick fame.

Your accusations that I must not be a real 'liberal' fall flat in this instance.

I don't have a problem if you want to take a quick shot at me; I do it myself often enough. But it needs to be of a higher quality if you want to actually make a dent.

Thanks for playing, though

Cycloptichorn

Man you are backpedeling faster than Ali from George Forman (another boxing reference for you).

The more you have to explain your reasoning behind the use of a phrase, the more it makes me think of you making excuses for making the mis-statement in the first place.

You could have said "Thompson, the Flavor of the Week".

But NOOOOOOO!!!!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:25 pm
woiyo wrote:

But NOOOOOOO!!!!

woiyo, do you think that calling Thompson the "White Knight of the GOP" is playing the race card, too...??
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:25 pm
No need to backpedal.

Not all Republicans are racist... but there is a real racist element in the Republican party.

Fred Thompson, at least right now, seems to be saying the right things to get the votes of people who think (and even openly say) that American should be considered a White Christian country.

The Great White Hype is a great metaphor for Thompson.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:27 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lol, you guys...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116448/

Cycloptichorn

Sure there is.

From the article...

"Acting as a lens focused on a racist society, The Great White Hope explores how segregation and prejudice created the demand for a "great white hope" who would defeat Johnson and how this, in turn, affected the boxer's life and career."

Shame on you.

You could have said "Great Hollywood Dope" to describe Thompson, but no, you decided to play the race card.

And you call yourself a "liberal"...Indeed!

But, I didn't say 'the great white Hope,' I said 'the great white HYPE,' referring to the first link, which is a parody of the second one.

There's no race card. C'mon, you can do better than this.

Cycloptichorn

I never mentioned the word "HYPE" or HOPE". You did and even supplied the link to "HOPE". You threw out the "WHITE" and made it racial...not me.

Don't try to double talk your way out of this one and blame ME.

You were better off saying he is the GREAT HOLLYWOOD DOPE.

Especially since ALL the candidates so far are "White" (to varying degrees), any of them could be called what you called Thompson.

Liberal INDEED!!!!!

Sigh

What do you mean by 'Liberal Indeed?'

let me hold your hand through this one:

I said:
Quote:

He's the Great White Hype for the Republicans this cycle.

I think he has more chinks then armor itself...

Cycloptichorn

You and BrandX accused me of racism, so I link to:

Quote:

Which is a movie called 'the Great White HYPE.' Which is about finding a candidate, someone, who can beat a boxer who can't be beat. While the movie does have some racial elements to it, it isn't about racism, but putting hope behind a candidate who doesn't really have a shot.

I added:
Quote:

Just to give you some background on where the term 'great white hype' comes from. And the WHOLE THING is a take-off on the 'Great White Whale,' of Moby Dick fame.

Your accusations that I must not be a real 'liberal' fall flat in this instance.

I don't have a problem if you want to take a quick shot at me; I do it myself often enough. But it needs to be of a higher quality if you want to actually make a dent.

Thanks for playing, though

Cycloptichorn

Man you are backpedeling faster than Ali from George Forman (another boxing reference for you).

The more you have to explain your reasoning behind the use of a phrase, the more it makes me think of you making excuses for making the mis-statement in the first place.

But NOOOOOOO!!!!

Fortunately, I'm not concerned what you think about my reasoning. I stand behind my original statement: Thompson is the Great White Hype for the Republicans this year.

If you want to take that as racist, have fun with it. But it isn't an effective criticism of my actions, because the statement I made isn't racist in any way; it doesn't have anything to do with race, but with exaggerated hopes for a candidate.

I didn't say 'flavor of the week,' because that's not an accurate way to describe the situation.

Now, let's move on...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:50 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
No need to backpedal.

Not all Republicans are racist... but there is a real racist element in the Republican party.

Fred Thompson, at least right now, seems to be saying the right things to get the votes of people who think (and even openly say) that American should be considered a White Christian country.

The Great White Hype is a great metaphor for Thompson.

Why do you people, especially you so called liberals, have to play the race/religion card? Is it because the "democrats" have no ideas that will have a meaningful impact on the policies that effect the majority of mainstream, working class Americans? The "democrats" and even "repuglicans" start off talking about how they will help this special interest groupor that group of illegal aliens or this group of poor etc...

Then you say a non candidate said America should be considered a WHITE CHRISTIAN country when he said no such thing?

You are the only one who thinks race and religion matters. That makes you racist .

Thanks guys!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 02:36 pm
Woiyo,

This thread is about electoral strategy.

The key to winning elections is to get the most votes. Annoying or offending voters is not a very good strategy.

Whether you (who will almost certainly not vote for any Democratic candidate next year) think these statements are racist or not is irrelevant.

The fact is that many voters, particularly Hispanic voters (some of whom are traditionally conservative and voted Republican in the past) see these comments as racist.

You can rant all you want about how these comments aren't really racist, or about how unfair it is for "so-called" liberals to play the so-called race card. Telling voters that their concerns about the rhetoric being used aren't valid is an interesting tactic.

We will gladly take the votes, as that is all that is really going to affect how these issues are resolved.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 03:58 pm
Why is it that conservatives love hambone actors?

David Broder apparently holds Thompson is some derision. He said that Thompson, when a senator, started a number of projects, but would lose interest in them and walk away.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 08:19 pm
Huh. I'd never been aware of the racist connotation to "Great White Hope". I thought it was just an expression, I see it used every so often without explicit racist overtones..

I guess it makes sense that it would have, these expressions come from somewhere after all.

Since there's liable to be lots of people ignorant of the term's background like I was, however, I think its a bit hysterical to immediately accuse anyone using the term of "playing the race card". (I mean, apart from the whole thing of how Cyclo said hype not hope.)
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:47 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

As there is in the Democratic Party and every other party, there are probably a few racists that are registered Republicans. And racists are not always white, ebrown. Which brings up a question, ebrown, about the only thing you seem to be interested in is race, and you can't seem to post much of anything without resorting to accusations of it in somebody else. The immigration issue is your hot button, and you constantly bring in accusations of race. What is that about anyway?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 05:55 am
Advocate wrote:

David Broder apparently holds Thompson is some derision. He said that Thompson, when a senator, started a number of projects, but would lose interest in them and walk away.

Same reason liberals love their Hollywood elite.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 05:59 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Woiyo,

This thread is about electoral strategy.

The key to winning elections is to get the most votes. Annoying or offending voters is not a very good strategy.

Whether you (who will almost certainly not vote for any Democratic candidate next year) think these statements are racist or not is irrelevant.

The fact is that many voters, particularly Hispanic voters (some of whom are traditionally conservative and voted Republican in the past) see these comments as racist.

You can rant all you want about how these comments aren't really racist, or about how unfair it is for "so-called" liberals to play the so-called race card. Telling voters that their concerns about the rhetoric being used aren't valid is an interesting tactic.

We will gladly take the votes, as that is all that is really going to affect how these issues are resolved.

You arrogance is disgusting. Who is "WE" you refer to?

How do you which way I will vote?

Unlike you and your fellow sheep, I refuse to support political parties since their incentive is only motivated not by what they will do for the people, but how much "power" the party can obtain.

I smarter than you. I look at the candidate and determine what that person will do for ME, regardless of party affiliation.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 06:30 am
woiyo wrote:
You arrogance is disgusting. Who is "WE" you refer to?

The Democrats, obviously. Thought that was pretty clear from context.

woiyo wrote:
How do you which way I will vote?

Uhmm.. by reading your posts for the past two years?

There may be conservative Democrats still that you'd vote for - I think you're in the West, so there might be enough of 'em there - but it doesnt take a genius to figure out you wouldnt quickly vote for a liberal, for example.

woiyo wrote:
Unlike you and your fellow sheep, I refuse to support political parties since their incentive is only motivated not by what they will do for the people, but how much "power" the party can obtain.

Umm no. Sure there are politicians who only care about the power in itself, but both the Republican and Democratic parties also have a clear vision of how the US should change and what it should look like, and wanting to achieve that is motiovation enough in itself.

woiyo wrote:
I smarter than you. I look at the candidate and determine what that person will do for ME, regardless of party affiliation.

Hm. Im guessing that Ebrown, like me, looks at the candidate and determines what that person will do for SOCIETY. For the country as a whole.

Hence how, I'm guessing, we would vote for a leftwing candidate even if we were rich and it would be against our personal financial interest to do so.

Is that really "less smart" than purely voting on "what they will do for ME"? I dont think so..

OK I gots to get off of here now..
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:03 am
woiyo wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Same reason liberals love their Hollywood elite.

But the libs don't put them in positions in which they run the country. Big difference!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2007 09:28 am
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 5 Jul, 2007 09:15 am
Fred Thompson was a mole for the Nixon White House, not the brave Rep prosecutor working to bring down the president.

Not all would put a heroic sheen on Thompson's Watergate role
By Michael Kranish, Globe Staff | July 4, 2007

WASHINGTON -- The day before Senate Watergate Committee minority counsel Fred Thompson made the inquiry that launched him into the national spotlight -- asking an aide to President Nixon whether there was a White House taping system -- he telephoned Nixon's lawyer.

Sign up for: Globe Headlines e-mail | Breaking News Alerts Thompson tipped off the White House that the committee knew about the taping system and would be making the information public. In his all-but-forgotten Watergate memoir, "At That Point in Time," Thompson said he acted with "no authority" in divulging the committee's knowledge of the tapes, which provided the evidence that led to Nixon's resignation. It was one of many Thompson leaks to the Nixon team, according to a former investigator for Democrats on the committee, Scott Armstrong , who remains upset at Thompson's actions.

"Thompson was a mole for the White House," Armstrong said in an interview. "Fred was working hammer and tong to defeat the investigation of finding out what happened to authorize Watergate and find out what the role of the president was."

Asked about the matter this week, Thompson -- who is preparing to run for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination -- responded via e-mail without addressing the specific charge of being a Nixon mole: "I'm glad all of this has finally caused someone to read my Watergate book, even though it's taken them over thirty years."

The view of Thompson as a Nixon mole is strikingly at odds with the former Tennessee senator's longtime image as an independent-minded prosecutor who helped bring down the president he admired. Indeed, the website of Thompson's presidential exploratory committee boasts that he "gained national attention for leading the line of inquiry that revealed the audio-taping system in the White House Oval Office." It is an image that has been solidified by Thompson's portrayal of a tough-talking prosecutor in the television series "Law and Order."

But the story of his role in the Nixon case helps put in perspective Thompson's recent stance as one of the most outspoken proponents of pardoning I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice President Dick Cheney. Just as Thompson once staunchly defended Nixon, Thompson urged a pardon for Libby, who was convicted in March of obstructing justice in the investigation into who leaked a CIA operative's name.

Thompson declared in a June 6 radio commentary that Libby's conviction was a "shocking injustice . . . created and enabled by federal officials." Bush on Monday commuted Libby's 30-month sentence, stopping short of a pardon.

The intensity of Thompson's remarks about Libby is reminiscent of how he initially felt about Nixon. Few Republicans were stronger believers in Nixon during the early days of Watergate.
--boston.com
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 7 Jul, 2007 09:39 am
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:36 am
Has anyone bothered to point out that many of the 12 million that would be granted instant citizenship, and the right to vote, can barely if at all speak/read/write the language of the nation? The process of naturalization requires that applicants be proficient in the language and have a basic understanding of US history. If they are granted citizenship without these things, should they really be allowed to vote? I seem to me that without these tools (english language and some history) that they cannot possibly make an informed decision.
0 Replies