Fred Thompson... unclear on the concept?

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 01:11 pm
Fred insulting Cuban Refugees.

Cuban immigrants were once one of the most loyal group of Republican voters (not just of Hispanics, but even among all America).

Is it really the goal of the Republican party to alienate every last Hispanic voter? (For the non political-junkie, that is Fred Thompson who is leading the polls among Republicans in the presidential nomination race).

Unbelievable.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,749 • Replies: 92
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:07 am
Re: Fred Thompson... unclear on the concept?
ebrown_p wrote:
Fred insulting Cuban Refugees.

Cuban immigrants were once one of the most loyal group of Republican voters (not just of Hispanics, but even among all America).

Is it really the goal of the Republican party to alienate every last Hispanic voter? (For the non political-junkie, that is Fred Thompson who is leading the polls among Republicans in the presidential nomination race).

Unbelievable.

You are such ignorant party tout that you completel;y ignore that it is BOTH parties who want to legalize 12+MILLION potential Hispanic voters by giving away citizenship.

Also, how can anyone be gullible enough to pay attention to any poll that has someone "in-front" who is not an official candidate?

Only you can be that gullible. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:34 am
You are missing the point Woiyo. This thread is about a political gaffe, not the issues behind it. The idea of running for president is to get votes... and pissing of an important group of voters-- especially a large, influential group of voters in a key swing state like Florida, is not a way to win an election or help your party.

There used to be a sizeable minority of Hispanic Americans who would vote Republican... and Cuban Americans were solidly Republican. This is changing dramatically because Republicans, although they keep saying they aren't against Hispanic Americans... keep saying and doing things to alienate them.

Things like this... and other recent statements like Gingrich saying that Spanish is a ghetto language and Tancrdo saying Miami is a third world city... alienate Hispanic voters. This angers even Hispanic Americans who are conservative.

Whatever your position on the issues is, one thing is clear.

A prominant Republican attacking Cuban refugees is not smart.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 06:45 am
Quote:

This is important to you because you are voting Republican? What is your concern exactly?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:13 am
ebrown_p wrote:
You are missing the point Woiyo. This thread is about a political gaffe, not the issues behind it. The idea of running for president is to get votes... and pissing of an important group of voters-- especially a large, influential group of voters in a key swing state like Florida, is not a way to win an election or help your party.

There used to be a sizeable minority of Hispanic Americans who would vote Republican... and Cuban Americans were solidly Republican. This is changing dramatically because Republicans, although they keep saying they aren't against Hispanic Americans... keep saying and doing things to alienate them.

Things like this... and other recent statements like Gingrich saying that Spanish is a ghetto language and Tancrdo saying Miami is a third world city... alienate Hispanic voters. This angers even Hispanic Americans who are conservative.

Whatever your position on the issues is, one thing is clear.

Thompson is not a candidate and should be considered irrelevant.

Gingrich is a disgraced politician looking to be relevant again and should be ignored.

Miami IS looking like a 3rd world City.

Republicans have demonstrated they are NOT the Party of "conservatives".
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:23 am
Brand X wrote:
Quote:

This is important to you because you are voting Republican? What is your concern exactly?

I want the Democrats to win the election.

The Republicans are foolishly alienating Hispanic voters in swing states. This, in my view, is a good thing.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:31 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Quote:

I want the Democrats to win the election.

The Republicans are foolishly alienating Hispanic voters in swing states. This, in my view, is a good thing.

And you do not care which Democrat or what they stand for. Anything but a republican. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:44 am
woiyo wrote:

Gingrich is a disgraced politician looking to be relevant again and should be ignored.

Lets be honest here. Thompson is apparently running, even though he hasn't announced yet, so he is extremely relevant. Gingrich is a man of ideas, some good ones, but agreed, he has no chance in the race. To be honest, Miami, I probably agree although I haven't been there, but have no desire to go there either. But it isn't wise to offend Cubans that escaped Castro, as they have voted for Republicans. It is conceivable a terrorist could come from Cuba, but not nearly as likely as coming across the Mexican border. Republicans are not totally conservative, but at least are alot closer than the Democrats, so the Republicans are our only option right now. It is impossible to elect somebody that has all of your beliefs, never has been and never will be.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 07:53 am
okie wrote:
woiyo wrote:

Lets be honest here. Thompson is apparently running, even though he hasn't announced yet, so he is extremely relevant. Gingrich is a man of ideas, some good ones, but agreed, he has no chance in the race. To be honest, Miami, I probably agree although I haven't been there, but have no desire to go there either. But it isn't wise to offend Cubans that escaped Castro, as they have voted for Republicans. It is conceivable a terrorist could come from Cuba, but not nearly as likely as coming across the Mexican border. Republicans are not totally conservative, but at least are alot closer than the Democrats, so the Republicans are our only option right now. It is impossible to elect somebody that has all of your beliefs, never has been and never will be.

Let's be honest?

Are you suggesting a Cuban, who is a hard working American refugee or even a hard working citizen, would not be objective when they vote? They may not vote for Thompson, given the dumb thing he said, yet, I suspect those who vote will vote for the candidate who matches their personal beliefs.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 08:02 am
Agreed I think. I think Thompson will eventually have to come out into the open and take the arrows for all of his opinions on various issues. Then, the polls will show what his true potential may be. His opponents will be looking for any chink in his armor, thats for sure.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 09:32 am
okie wrote:
Agreed I think. I think Thompson will eventually have to come out into the open and take the arrows for all of his opinions on various issues. Then, the polls will show what his true potential may be. His opponents will be looking for any chink in his armor, thats for sure.

Laughing

He's the Great White Hype for the Republicans this cycle.

I think he has more chinks then armor itself...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:31 am
Speaking as a Democrat... Fred Thompson would sure be fun to run against. The Republicans that scare me don't have a shot at winning the primary.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 10:36 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

Laughing

Cycloptichorn

If he were Black, would it make a difference? Why the racial reference?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:27 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
okie wrote:

Laughing

Cycloptichorn

If he were Black, would it make a difference? Why the racial reference?

Indeed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 11:32 am
Lol, you guys...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116448/

Which, of course, is a parody of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_White_Hope

Study up a bit and you'll see that there's no racism involved.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:34 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Speaking as a Democrat... Fred Thompson would sure be fun to run against. The Republicans that scare me don't have a shot at winning the primary.

Okay, I'm dying to know who they might be? Guess, Duncan Hunter for one? Romney?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:36 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lol, you guys...

Cycloptichorn

Sure there is.

From the article...

"Acting as a lens focused on a racist society, The Great White Hope explores how segregation and prejudice created the demand for a "great white hope" who would defeat Johnson and how this, in turn, affected the boxer's life and career."

Shame on you.

You could have said "Great Hollywood Dope" to describe Thompson, but no, you decided to play the race card.

And you call yourself a "liberal"...Indeed!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 12:50 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lol, you guys...

Cycloptichorn

Sure there is.

From the article...

"Acting as a lens focused on a racist society, The Great White Hope explores how segregation and prejudice created the demand for a "great white hope" who would defeat Johnson and how this, in turn, affected the boxer's life and career."

Shame on you.

You could have said "Great Hollywood Dope" to describe Thompson, but no, you decided to play the race card.

But, I didn't say 'the great white Hope,' I said 'the great white HYPE,' referring to the first link, which is a parody of the second one.

There's no race card. C'mon, you can do better than this.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:02 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lol, you guys...

Cycloptichorn

Sure there is.

From the article...

Shame on you.

But, I didn't say 'the great white Hope,' I said 'the great white HYPE,' referring to the first link, which is a parody of the second one.

Cycloptichorn

I never mentioned the word "HYPE" or HOPE". You did and even supplied the link to "HOPE". You threw out the "WHITE" and made it racial...not me.

Don't try to double talk your way out of this one and blame ME.

You were better off saying he is the GREAT HOLLYWOOD DOPE.

Especially since ALL the candidates so far are "White" (to varying degrees), any of them could be called what you called Thompson.

Liberal INDEED!!!!!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2007 01:08 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Lol, you guys...

Cycloptichorn

Sure there is.

From the article...

Shame on you.

Cycloptichorn

I never mentioned the word "HYPE" or HOPE". You did and even supplied the link to "HOPE". You threw out the "WHITE" and made it racial...not me.

Don't try to double talk your way out of this one and blame ME.

You were better off saying he is the GREAT HOLLYWOOD DOPE.

Especially since ALL the candidates so far are "White" (to varying degrees), any of them could be called what you called Thompson.

Liberal INDEED!!!!!

Sigh

What do you mean by 'Liberal Indeed?'

let me hold your hand through this one:

I said:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

You and BrandX accused me of racism, so I link to:

Quote:

Which is a movie called 'the Great White HYPE.' Which is about finding a candidate, someone, who can beat a boxer who can't be beat. While the movie does have some racial elements to it, it isn't about racism, but putting hope behind a candidate who doesn't really have a shot.

I added:
Quote:

Just to give you some background on where the term 'great white hype' comes from. And the WHOLE THING is a take-off on the 'Great White Whale,' of Moby Dick fame.

Your accusations that I must not be a real 'liberal' fall flat in this instance.

I don't have a problem if you want to take a quick shot at me; I do it myself often enough. But it needs to be of a higher quality if you want to actually make a dent.

Thanks for playing, though

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies