VICTORY! Supreme Court Rejects School Race Plans

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 11:47 am
Finally there's a few people on the bench that have their senses about themselves. They were not only destroying one culture but destroying the other through their forced busing & intermixing God's distinct separate cultures.

Supreme Court Rejects School Race Plans

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6743030,00.html

Thursday June 28, 2007 4:16 PM

By MARK SHERMAN

Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected diversity plans in two major school districts that take race into account in assigning students but left the door open for using race in limited circumstances.

The decision in cases affecting schools in Louisville, Ky., and Seattle could imperil similar plans in hundreds of districts nationwide, and it further restricts how public school systems may attain racial diversity.

The court split, 5-4, with Chief Justice John Roberts announcing the court's judgment. The court's four liberal justices dissented.

The districts ``failed to show that they considered methods other than explicit racial classifications to achieve their stated goals,'' Roberts said.

Yet Justice Anthony Kennedy would not go as far as the other four conservative justices, saying in a concurring opinion that race may be a component of school plans designed to achieve diversity.

To the extent that Roberts' opinion could be interpreted to foreclose the use of race in any circumstance, Kennedy said, ``I disagree with that reasoning.''

He agreed with Roberts that the plans in Louisville and Seattle violated constitutional guarantees of equal protection.

Justice Stephen Breyer, in a dissent joined by the other liberals on the court, said Roberts' opinion undermined the promise of integrated schools that the court laid out 53 years ago in its landmark decision in Brown v. Board of Education.

``To invalidate the plans under review is to threaten the promise of Brown,'' Breyer said.

The two school systems in Thursday's decisions employ slightly different methods of taking students' race into account when determining which school they will attend.

Federal appeals courts had upheld both plans after some parents sued. The Bush administration took the parents' side, arguing that racial diversity is a noble goal but can be sought only through race-neutral means.

Louisville's schools spent 25 years under a court order to eliminate the effects of state-sponsored segregation. After a federal judge freed the Jefferson County, Ky., school board, which encompasses Louisville, from his supervision, the board decided to keep much of the court-ordered plan in place to prevent schools from re-segregating.

The lawyer for the Louisville system called the plan a success story that enjoys broad community support, including among parents of white and black students.

Attorney Teddy Gordon, who argued that the Louisville system's plan was discriminatory, said, ``Clearly, we need better race-neutral alternatives. Instead of spending zillions of dollars around the country to place a black child next to a white child, let's reduce class size. All the schools are equal. We will no longer accept that an African-American majority within a school is unacceptable.''

Louisville Mayor Jerry Abramson said he was disappointed with the ruling because Louisville's system had provided ``a quality education for all students and broken down racial barriers'' for 30 years.

He said he was confident school leaders effective new guidelines.

The Seattle school district said it used race as one among many factors, relied on it only in some instances and then only at the end of a lengthy process in allocating students among the city's high schools. Seattle suspended its program after parents sued.

The opinion was the first on the divisive issue since 2003, when a 5-4 ruling upheld the limited consideration of race in college admissions to attain a diverse student body. Since then, Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who approved of the limited use of race, retired. Her replacement, Justice Samuel Alito was in the majority that struck down the school system plans in Kentucky and Washington.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,378 • Replies: 89
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 11:48 am
Quote:
Finally there's a few people on the bench that have their senses about themselves. They were not only destroying one culture but destroying the other through their forced busing & intermixing God's distinct separate cultures.

God's distinct Separate cultures?

Maybe you can explain this before I report your bigot ass.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

michael1

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 11:52 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

I GUESS I'M JUST IGNORANT, THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS AN ETHNIC CULTURE, OR ETHNIC HERITAGE. PLEASE REPORT IT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 11:55 am
Re: VICTORY! Supreme Court Rejects School Race Plans
michael1 wrote:
God's distinct separate cultures.

What would God's distinct separate cultures be, in your opinion?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 11:56 am
michael1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

I GUESS I'M JUST IGNORANT, THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS AN ETHNIC CULTURE, OR ETHNIC HERITAGE. PLEASE REPORT IT TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN.

You specifically said 'God's distinct Separate Cultures.' Explain what you meant by that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:03 pm
What exactly are you going to report? That he has an opinion that you disagree with?

tsk, tsk... trying to limit other's free speech? How wonderfully liberal of you.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:05 pm
McGentrix wrote:
What exactly are you going to report? That he has an opinion that you disagree with?

tsk, tsk... trying to limit other's free speech? How wonderfully liberal of you.

Racist speech is against the TOS and I don't apologize for getting angry when people employ it.

Not that I give a f*ck what your opinion is, troll

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

michael1

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:07 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
michael1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

You specifically said 'God's distinct Separate Cultures.' Explain what you meant by that.

Cycloptichorn

Well like you say God didn't make any cultures. No such thing as French culture anymore, there's no such thing as Irish culture, English, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Portugese, Arabic, African, Indian, man o man, can my list go on all day & night. God separated all these cultures, especially French culture from German, etc for a reason. If you want the new world order you're in with the antiChrist of the book of revelation. You can see it already beginning in Europe with the EU.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:08 pm
Re: VICTORY! Supreme Court Rejects School Race Plans
ehBeth wrote:
michael1 wrote:
God's distinct separate cultures.

What would God's distinct separate cultures be, in your opinion?

C'mon, michael. Tell us all about it.

Lay it all out.

Make it nice and clear.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:09 pm
michael1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
michael1 wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Well like you say God didn't make any cultures. No such thing as French culture anymore, there's no such thing as Irish culture, English, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Portugese, Arabic, African, Indian, man o man, can my list go on all day & night. God separated all these cultures, especially French culture from German, etc for a reason. If you want the new world order you're in with the antiChrist of the book of revelation. You can see it already beginning in Europe with the EU.

I did not in fact say 'God didn't make any cultures.' I'd challenge you to link to where I did say this, but I know you won't have the guts to even defend such a statement.

Quote:
God separated all these cultures, especially French culture from German, etc for a reason.

What was the reason? Specifically.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:

McGentrix, I find it amusing that you step in to defend Michaels clearly racist beliefs (I hope you wash afterwards).

I don't think he should be censored here or anywhere else. But ridiculing his beliefs is not a violation of his free speech rights.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:11 pm
michael1 wrote:
Well like you say God didn't make any cultures.

No such thing as French culture anymore, there's no such thing as Irish culture, English, Spanish, Dutch, Swedish, Portugese, Arabic, African, Indian, man o man, can my list go on all day & night.

God separated all these cultures, especially French culture from German, etc for a reason.

ok, so African culture, what would that be? and why does Africa get one culture when parts of Europe get separate cultures.

Details. We need details.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:13 pm
Apparently (i use the word loosely, because so little of what this joker writes makes any sense), Michael thinks that Germans and the French represent different "races."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:14 pm
My culture was ruined when Christianity was forced on us (I am descended from Gauls).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:14 pm
Threatening to report him is though. I understand why you fail to understand that though and find it amusing.

I am not defending Michael1's comments, but attacking cyc's belief that people with different opinions shouldn't be allowed to express them under threat of "telling on them".

Had Cyc's dumb ass not replied to this thread, then it would have been ignored as most other extremist's threads are, but he decided to try to bully michael1 by threatening to report his comments.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:15 pm
Incidentally, the French are called the French because Gaul was overrun by the Salian Franks--a confederation of German tribes. Perhaps Michael could explain to us how "god" separated the French and the Germans, and what especial reason "god" would have for separating two people with a common linguistic and cultural heritage.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:20 pm
McWhitey apparently did not read, or has not recently read, the Terms of Use, which anyone can access by clicking on the link at the bottom of every page.

Section III, Paragraph 2 of those terms reads:

2) Use respectful language. You agree not to use language that abuses or discriminates on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age, region, disability, etc. Hate speech of any kind is grounds for immediate and permanent removal from the service. (emphasis added)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 12:58 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Threatening to report him is though. I understand why you fail to understand that though and find it amusing.

I am not defending Michael1's comments, but attacking cyc's belief that people with different opinions shouldn't be allowed to express them under threat of "telling on them".

Had Cyc's dumb ass not replied to this thread, then it would have been ignored as most other extremist's threads are, but he decided to try to bully michael1 by threatening to report his comments.

You calling someone a bully is the height of hypocrisy, troll.

People shouldn't be allowed to express beliefs which violate the ToS. Yet, people do it all the time, including myself. There is nothing wrong with reporting someone who does this whatsoever.

Threatening to report someone (which I did end up doing) isn't a violation of anyone's free speech rights whatsoever.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 02:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
McWhitey apparently did not read, or has not recently read, the Terms of Use, which anyone can access by clicking on the link at the bottom of every page.

Section III, Paragraph 2 of those terms reads:

2) Use respectful language. You agree not to use language that abuses or discriminates on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age, region, disability, etc. Hate speech of any kind is grounds for immediate and permanent removal from the service. (emphasis added)

Satana, here is what michael1 wrote, you obviously didn't take time to read it before getting on your rocking horse.

Quote:

No mention of race, religion or national origin. It's not hate speech, nor is it against the TOS. Cyclotichorn took it upon himself to act indignant about it and I called him on it. Rightfully so too.

Let me point out some other rules in the TOS that both you and Cycloptichorn repeatedly abuse.

Quote:
1) Be courteous. You agree that you will not threaten or verbally abuse other members, use defamatory language

Quote:
5) Lively debate is accepted, and even encouraged, but personal attacks are not.

Quote:
6) While occasional breaches of decorum in the heat of debate will be tolerated, members whose interactions are marked by a consistent pattern of demeaning and abusive interactions will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including permanent removal from the service.

Your persistant use of "McWhitey" and "troll" are direct violations of the TOS. They are personal attacks, verbal abuse and a pattern of demeaning and abusive interactions with other members.

Reporting you on these has proved pointless, but don't either of you dare to try to act like you are above posters like Micheal1. you are one and the same.

If you don't like what someone posts, move on. There is plenty of material here to entertain your demented sense of what is right and wrong.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 02:07 pm
I want some answers from Michael about God's distinct separate cultures.
0 Replies