Elizabeth Edwards Confronts Ann Coulter

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 07:55 am
The journalist didn't report all of the telephone conversation. Elizabeth Edwards mentioned Ann Coulter's attack of John Edwards for mentioning the death of his son. Mrs. Edwards said, "as the mother of my son's brothers and sisters, I find your comments hateful."

The most disgusting issue in this event was Hardball's Chris Mathew's attempt to gain ratings by giving Ann Coulter a platform to spew her hatred, arranging an outdoor interview with an audience of cheering Coulter fans, inviting Elizabeth Edwards to telephone Mathews during the broadcast, and Mathews faking shock at Coulter's comments while salivating at the attention he was getting.

Chris Mathews chases ratings and attention like a whore after a John, adding to his reputation for sucking up to his guests with disgusting insincerity. ---BBB

Elizabeth Edwards Confronts Ann Coulter
By MIKE BAKER - AP
Posted: 2007-06-27

RALEIGH, N.C. Elizabeth Edwards pleaded Tuesday with Ann Coulter to "stop the personal attacks," a day after the conservative commentator said she wished Edwards' husband, Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, had been killed by terrorists.

"The things she has said over the years, not just about John but about other candidates, lowers the political dialogue at precisely the time we need to raise it," Edwards said by phone on MSNBC's "Hardball" program, where Coulter was a guest.

Elizabeth Edwards said she did not consult her husband before confronting Coulter on the air, adding that she felt the pundit's remarks were "a dialogue on hatefulness and ugliness."

What's Your Take?

"It debases political dialogue," Edwards said. "It drives people away from the process. We can't have a debate about issues if you're using this kind of language."

Coulter responded with a laugh and charged that Edwards was calling on her to stop speaking altogether. She questioned why Elizabeth Edwards was making a phone call on behalf of her husband, and she criticized John Edwards for "stealing doctors' money" during his successful career as a trial lawyer.

"I don't think I need to be told to stop writing by Elizabeth Edwards, thank you," Coulter said.

On ABC's "Good Morning America" on Monday, Coulter was asked about a March speech in which she used a gay slur to refer to Edwards.

"If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot," Coulter said Monday, picking up on remarks made by HBO's Bill Maher. Maher suggested in March that "people wouldn't be dying needlessly" if Vice President Dick Cheney had been killed in an insurgent attack in Afghanistan.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,759 • Replies: 230
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:15 am
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:15 am
I think that anyone who still tries to hide behind the " she's just sharing political wit and irony" line, as an excuse for continuing to pay attention to this soulless stick of a woman, has some real issues.

I think anyone with a shred of decency should distance themselves from this pathetic cadaverous harpy.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:21 am
Ann Coulter Battles Elizabeth Edwards on 'Hardball' Over 'Ha
Ann Coulter Battles Elizabeth Edwards on 'Hardball' Over 'Hate' Language
By E&P Staff
Published: June 26, 2007

During an appearance by columnist Ann Coulter on Chris Matthews' MSNBC program "Hardball" today, Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former Sen. John Edwards, phoned in to ask Coulter to turn away from attacking individuals and using the language of "hate."

Coulter laughed it off and told Edwards that she was just trying to silence her, or even stop writing books. She then attacked her husband for making doing "shyster Las Vegas routine" in front of juries when he was a attorney that won huge damage claims against doctors, "bankrupting" them which meant they could "no longer deliver babies.... Don't talk to me about how to use language."

Edwards again asked her to not use hate language: "I'm going to politely ask you again to stop using personal attacks as part of your dialogue." Coulter said Edwards was just the wife of a candidate for president trying to defend her husband. "Stop raising money on your Web site," Coulter said.

"Why isn't John Edwards making this call?" Coulter asked.

Edwards asked Coulter why she had lied and said that her husband had a bumper sticker on his car that read, "Ask me about my dead son." Coulter replied: "That was three years ago." Edwards: "I'm the mother of the boy that died."

Coulter made headlines several months ago when she used an anti-gay slur in referring to John Edwards.

Just yesterday, Coulter had turned on President Bush, at least part way.

"I do sort of get the sense now that there is -- you know -- people reaching across the partisan divide, the country is unified," she told Chris Cuomo on Good Morning America. "Bush really is a uniter because we're all just waiting for this nincompoop to be gone. I think we all finally are on the same page on that."

While she praised Bush's handling of the war, she admitted that "his domestic policy has been an embarrassment."

She said the war is "the one thing I think Bush has done well. He's like another president in that way -- FDR. I think he's been magnificent on the war, and on domestic policy has been an embarrassment."

Her favorite candidate for 2008: Rep. Duncan Hunter, she said, while admitting that "no one has heard of him."
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:24 am
Buchanan defends Coulter
MSNBC just had it's paid talking head, Patrick Buchanan, on to defend it's ratings whore. Buchanan boasted that Coulter won the debate with Edwards.

Hey Pat, Elizabeth Edwards wasn't debating Coulter. She was asking for a more civil dialogue for the presidential campaigns.

BBB

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/06/26/elizabeth-edwards-makes-l_n_53899.html
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:34 am
Reading The Pictures: Leeching Chris Matthews
Reading The Pictures: Leeching Chris Matthews
by Michael Shaw

I try very hard not to feed the vampire, except for the occasional psychological profile. In this case, however, I have to make an exception -- in order to highlight a classic image of media intimidation.

Leaving aside the argument why hyper-Chris would stoop to give troubled Ann a platform in the first place, I was interested in what happened in yesterday's so-called interview immediately after Elizabeth Edwards called in to confront AC.

Matthews must have been terrified after Edwards challenged Coulter for making hay off the death of her child. After Edwards hung up, a journalist with any real substance would have immediately taken on his dissembling invitee for using Edwards as a pin cushion. So, where did the Hardball king go instead?

Well why, Chris suddenly wanted to know, did mean ole Ann attack Hillary for having "chubby legs?"

It got even more pathetic than that, though. Not only did Chris drop the subject of Edwards, asking a 2008% weaker question than Edwards asked, he lost his nerve completely when Coulter played dumb and demanded he quote her the exact sentence he was referring to. (You can see in the screen shot how she got off on it.)

The image that will stick with me is that scene on the left half of the screen. There's the flustered, angry and intimidated Matthews (his head comically juxtaposed with the Hardball tag line "First Read") submissively thumbing through Coulter's latest hate manifesto to actually find the quote!

See video at thinkprogress.

For more of the visual, visit BAGnewsNotes.com.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 09:13 am
Obviously the left is completely innocent in making any personal attacks on political opponents or potential opponents. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 09:22 am
Ann's stock price just went up. Thanks to Liz.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 09:52 am
How unsurprising that our resident trolls come out to support a very public troll.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 09:55 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
How unsurprising that our resident trolls come out to support a very public troll.

Cycloptichorn

BumbleBeeBoogie is a troll, yes, but public? Question
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 09:59 am
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

BumbleBeeBoogie is a troll, yes, but public? Question

Your powers are weak, but a whisper of what they used to be... when your party wasn't getting f*cking trounced on each and every front.

But, keep pretending that you've still got what it takes; it makes for some entertaining posts, though in sort of a sad little doggie way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:09 am
So I'm a troll because I disagree with the leftwing numbnuts of A2K?

Celebrate trolldom!!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:14 am
cjhsa wrote:

Celebrate trolldom!!

No, you're a troll because you don't offer productive conversation - though you used to, more often - but instead focus on insults, as if it somehow mattered that you put someone down or made fun of them.

It's the same shtick with Coulter: personal attacks every now and then are a part of life, but when it's the only thing you've got, it's worse then lame. Right now, you're worse then lame.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:25 am
Elizabeth Edwards wrote:
Where I am from, when someone does something that displeases you, you politely ask them to stop.

Think Elizabeth will publish the email she sent to Bill Maher scolding him for saying Dick Cheney should have been killed in Afghanistan?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:26 am
Quote:
COULTER v. EDWARDS. Yesterday's confrontation between Elizabeth Edwards and Ann Coulter (which you can watch here) showed once again just what a poisonous figure Coulter is. "I want to use the opportunity," Edwards said, "to ask her politely, stop the personal attacks." To this, Coulter responded, "Okay, the wife of a presidential candidate is calling in asking me to stop speaking." She then repeated this a number of times; when Edwards challenged her on her use of "the language of hate" (of which Coulter is one of America's foremost purveyors), Coulter said sarcastically, "Okay, I'll stop writing books."

What's notable here is the way Coulter sees personal attacks and the language of hate as the sum total of what she does. As she sees it, asking her not to attack people personally is not just tantamount to asking her not to write and speak, it is asking her not to write and speak. This is not the first time she has made this argument; in her book "Godless" she complains about 9/11 widows criticizing the Bush administration's record on terrorism, writing, "These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by grief-arazzis. I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much." When asked about the passage, she said, "They were using their grief in order to make a political point while preventing anyone from responding."

But of course, no one was prevented from responding to the 9/11 widows, or anyone else, if they wanted to do so on the substance of their arguments. If Coulter wanted to argue that the criticism the 9/11 widows were making of the President was mistaken, no one would have raised an eyebrow. It was because she chose to attack them personally that people got angry. But as far as she's concerned, if you can't attack someone personally, you can't engage in debate.

But let me ask a different question. Now that Mitt Romney is showing such strength in the campaign, are any reporters going ask him about whether he regrets his own association with Coulter? Appearing at the Conservative Political Action Committee conference in March, Romney said, "I'm happy to learn also that after you hear me you're going to hear from Ann Coulter. That is a good thing." Beforehand, a camera caught the two backstage yukking it up - Here's the video, if you haven't seen it. One nice moment comes when Coulter says, "The photo of you and me together is going to become famous when you do something I don't like and I viciously attack you," to which Romney responds, "Never will happen, never will happen." It's safe to say that what Romney thinks "never will happen" is not her viciously attacking him, but him doing something she won't like.

Another fun exchange occurs when, after discussing the issue of Romney's Mormonism and its potential as a political liability, Coulter says, "They don't understand, we hate the atheists," to which Romney gives a hearty laugh. "You can't get these sectarian wars going with us. We're all Christians." Romney then chimes in with a smile, "We're not Sunni and Shia here!" Good times.

--Paul Waldman
Posted at 11:09 AM | Comments (8) | TrackBack (0)

http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/tapped_archive?month=06&year=2007&base_name=post_4070#017011

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

paull

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:30 am
Elizabeth, Ann, and Chris are all whores, and very successful.

A pox on all of them.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:30 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Celebrate trolldom!!

No, you're a troll because you don't offer productive conversation - though you used to, more often - but instead focus on insults, as if it somehow mattered that you put someone down or made fun of them.

It's the same shtick with Coulter: personal attacks every now and then are a part of life, but when it's the only thing you've got, it's worse then lame. Right now, you're worse then lame.

Cycloptichorn

Hypocrite.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:33 am
Edwards camp again turns to cash cow Coulter

By Klaus Marre
June 27, 2007

With the second quarter drawing to a close, the presidential campaign of former North Carolina senator John Edwards (D) on Wednesday again turned to one of its most reliable "fundraisers," Ann Coulter.

In an e-mail to supporters, Edwards' wife Elizabeth described why she called in to MSNBC's "Hardball" Tuesday. The show featured the conservative pundit, who has often attacked Edwards.

This week Coulter proclaimed "If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot."

Elizabeth Edwards said she decided to call the show to appeal to Coulter to stop the attacks.

"I told her these kinds of personal attacks lower our political dialogue at precisely the time when we need to raise it, and set a bad example for our children," she said. "How did she respond? Sadly, perhaps predictably, with more personal attacks."

The e-mail is coupled with an appeal for campaign donations.

"Please give what you can right now to help raise the dialogue and show that Ann Coulter-style politics will never carry the day," Mrs. Edwards wrote.

It is the second time in as many quarters that the Edwards campaign is using Coulter for a fundraising appeal. In March, the 2004 Democratic vice presidential candidate raised "Coulter cash" after the right-wing pundit called the senator a "faggot."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:35 am
If the scumbag Edwards wanted to keep the death of his son Private and respected; he shouldn't have whored out the memory for money (not to be confused with his pre-natal baby channeling; that's a different, scummy, multi-million dollar incident) in a manner that would inevitably become as public as it was disgusting. Coulter may well be an ass; but come on folks: Whining about her makes about as much sense as the 'Right' whining about Bill Maher... who as coincidence would have it; originated her most hateful quote... (no doubt without a single objection from any lefty on Earth). Mrs. Edwards has good reason to be upset, but she made her bed when she married it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 10:35 am
McGentrix wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Celebrate trolldom!!

Cycloptichorn

Hypocrite.

I know you are, but what am I? Rolling Eyes

Can't you do better then this tripe? Please?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies