1st cousin relationship

Liliann

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:35 pm
Rolling Eyes Question, Are you from Louisiana?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 09:47 pm
The chances of having children suffering from some recessive gene is only very slightly more than it is with unrelated people, but since you do not plan to have children together this good news has no value.

Remember, Einstein married his first cousin. He thought it was a SMART move.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:34 pm
Setanta wrote:
King Charles I had several children, the eldest being Charles, James and Mary. Mary Stuart married the Prince of Orange in Holland. They had a son. James, by his first wife, Lady Anne Hyde, had two daughters--Mary and Anne. The younger Mary married the son of her Aunt Mary and the Prince of Orange--William, who was her first cousin.

If it's good enough for royalty, a bunch not remarkable for beauty, intelligence, skills or compassionate capacity--it should be good enough for decent folks like us.

Haemophilia is common in European royalty.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:55 am
butternuts wrote:

My daughter is 4 and his is 6. So they really don't completely understand. He went through a divorce from a really unhealthy relationship not too long ago. His daughter is just really glad that she has a place that is like a family to her. We took it really slow with them. They have seen us together for about six months( and when i say "together" i mean not really in any other way but friends) and just recently we have acctually become affectionate around them. My daughter has never had a dad in the house so she absolutely loves this. i have never gotten negative energy or behavior from either of them.[/quote]

To be honest, I really want to find some reason or something wrong with what you are doing. So I searched my brain.

When it comes down to it, I can't really find anything except for preference and belief.

Kids having good influences and love in home, check. That is good. Again, the only thing that would make it wrong was if you begin with the belief that cousins being together is wrong. teehee.

I guess...good luck?!

Hopefully yall can enjoy the family that everyone deserves. If you've found it, good for you.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:05 am
Get down wit' yo' related selves!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:24 am
Continuous inter-generational inbreeding (as within royal linages--sometimes to avoid corruption from "inferior lineages") greatly increases the chance of negative outcomes, but not from the occasional mating of first cousins.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 10:57 am
Liliann wrote:

No why you ask/
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:03 am
mushypancakes wrote:
When it comes down to it, I can't really find anything except for preference and belief.

not that i want to argue or anything but do you know where it says that it is wrong according to religion?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:05 am
butternuts wrote:
Liliann wrote:

No why you ask/

Lillian is indulging a conscious slur of the people of Louisiana, suggesting that they are "inbred" hillbillies. It was a nasty remark, intended to insult you and the citizens of Louisiana.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:07 am
Wilso wrote:
Haemophilia is common in European royalty.

Since ages* the marriage between cousins is legal in Europe (only illegal in part of the USA, the Philippines and some Balkan countries).

* at least, since we got the written civil law.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
butternuts wrote:
Liliann wrote:

No why you ask/

Lillian is indulging a conscious slur of the people of Louisiana, suggesting that they are "inbred" hillbillies. It was a nasty remark, intended to insult you and the citizens of Louisiana.

I expected for some people, people who can't/don't want to think for themselves, to react this way. Usually these are the people who, no offence to Liliann, do not think it is ok only because that is what people have told them growing up. But then you have people like me who decide what is and isn't ok based on facts and my thought (not the thoughts of others). Because really the fact of it is 1st cousin marriage used to be not only accepted but pressed. It wasn't until the government said it wasn't ok that it became "wrong".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:33 pm
butternuts wrote:
It wasn't until the government said it wasn't ok that it became "wrong".

The government in one of the 23 of the 50 U.S. states where it is prohibited, I suppose.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:58 pm
You can't appeal to Victorian morality; Queen Victoria married her first cousin. You can't appeal to the Bible; in the Bible, God commands marriages between first cousins. As was Charles Darwin and I believe it was earlier mentioned that Albert Einstein was married to his first cousin. Which all had exceptional children. (in courtesy of http://www.cousincouples.com/info/facts.shtml and www.cousincouples.com/?page=facts)
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 03:30 pm
butternuts wrote:
mushypancakes wrote:

not that i want to argue or anything but do you know where it says that it is wrong according to religion?

I don't know. Don't care terribly much either as I am not religious in the traditional sense.

My personal feelings about it being 'wrong' are along the lines of what Stuh mentioned.
But if a family does not have a dynamic where cousins grow up like sisters and brothers, places of familial rest, it doesn't apply.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 03:41 pm
mushypancakes wrote:
butternuts wrote:
mushypancakes wrote:

I don't know. Don't care terribly much either as I am not religious in the traditional sense.

My personal feelings about it being 'wrong' are along the lines of what Stuh mentioned.
But if a family does not have a dynamic where cousins grow up like sisters and brothers, places of familial rest, it doesn't apply.

I was just curious. I hear alot of things about how it is religiously wrong but everything that i have researched about it says otherwise. Maybe a preacher should read this and give me some input!!!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 03:51 pm
Butternuts, what did you mean by "exceptional children"?
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 03:56 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Butternuts, what did you mean by "exceptional children"?

i guess i really cant answere that cause i quoted it from a site. I would assume outstanding but we all know what assumeing does.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:03 pm
I'm sure "outstanding" rather than "special" was meant.
No comments from the gallery please.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:17 pm
Walter, throughout history (and prehistory), cross-cousin marriage has been prescribed or considered ideal, while parallel-cousin marriage has been fiercly proscribed. Cross (first) cousins are individuals whose parents are siblings of the opposite sex, and parallel (first) cousins are individuals whose parents are siblings of the same sex.

The reason cross-cousins marriage is/was favored is that the spouses are of different lineages/clans. Parallel cousin marriage is/was disfavored because the spouses are of the same lineage/clan.

"INCEST" is defined in those societies with respect to SOCIAL, i.e., GROUP, lineage/clan relations; INTER-INDIVIDUAL biological distance, as such, has nothing to do with it (i.e., cross-cousins and parallel cousins are of equal biological distance, but they contrast drastically in terms of sociological distance).

lineages and clans are structured in terms of gender: patrilineal clans and lineages are defined as lines of people related through males (very common in Africa) while matrilineal clans and lineages are defined as lines of people related through women (very common in the Native American southwest).

In the U.S. all that matters is biological distance.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:54 pm
Nodding, JL. You don't mate with a member of your clan. That's still true for some people.
My fam, my bf's fam, for example.
I like it because it helps to ensure the large family groupings. It works.

It's not even a matter of just biology. An adopted cousin of my aunt's is still 'wrong' within the sort of system.

I would guess that the OP's family has for at least one of their reasons of protest, a desire to continue their family ways. Lots of people want to continue what was started, to have that history to draw on.
And the family structure is such that a rule was made that cuzs don't mix.
Maybe it makes sense now for the family, maybe it doesn't.
Religion is just another avenue to express that, explain it, give it form.

Obviously there have been plenty of advantages for people to partner/marry a cousin. Can think of lots off the top of my head.

But if your family doesn't support it, or at least accept it, there is the risk of losing much.
0 Replies