1st cousin relationship

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:09 pm
I was just looking for opinions about 1st cousin relationships.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,131 • Replies: 51
No top replies

aidan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:10 pm
I don't think it's anyone elses business. I guess I'd get genetic counseling before I had kids though.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:14 pm
kids are not what either of us want. Together we have two children and that keeps us plenty busy. Other family members seem to have a ton of opinion about the situation though. Its kinda getting hard.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:16 pm
King Charles I had several children, the eldest being Charles, James and Mary. Mary Stuart married the Prince of Orange in Holland. They had a son. James, by his first wife, Lady Anne Hyde, had two daughters--Mary and Anne. The younger Mary married the son of her Aunt Mary and the Prince of Orange--William, who was her first cousin.

If it's good enough for royalty, a bunch not remarkable for beauty, intelligence, skills or compassionate capacity--it should be good enough for decent folks like us.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:22 pm
I can imagine. But you can't help who you love. It would be dishonest to anyone else to enter a relationship when you know that your heart is committed to someone else.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is : Do you want to live with the person you love for the rest of your life, or do you want to follow convention, and will your family who is disapproving be able to fulfill the role of this person in your life for you?

I don't know your specific family, but I know that I married someone my family initially disapproved of (for another reason) but their love for me eventually overcame that disapproval. Do you think that could be the case for you?
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:27 pm
Does anyone know the laws about having this kind of relationship? I know it varies from state to state. I am not talking about marriage just being in the relationship.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:36 pm
I can imagine. But you can't help who you love....
No not really my family thinks it is religiously wrong therefore i am satan
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:39 pm
Well, you're definitely not Satan- at least I don't think so- although you could be the antichrist and I'm just not aware of it - are you? Laughing

Just kidding. I don't know the laws - **** the laws. Go somewhere where the law is on the side of love and do what you have to do. You'll regret it the rest of your life if you don't.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:43 pm
No not the antichrist!!! But hell who knows what I am capable of!! Evil or Very Mad Laughing We have already been in this relationship for a year. Things are just starting to get thick with the fam. cause we just moved in together. Oh and before anyone asks no there is no significate other on either side!! Razz
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:47 pm
Go for it then. I know two first cousins who married in NC who have two wonderful sons. They're perfect for each other and I can't imagine either one of them with anyone else.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:48 pm
Personally, I don't think it's for me and it kinda creeps me out.

But what you do in your life and your bedroom is your business and I don't think that this makes you weird or creepy.

So, positive or negative opinions or whatever, do what you want to do and live your life in a way that makes you happy.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:48 pm
opinions is what i was looking for!!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 07:48 pm
butternuts -- we had a fairly long discussion about this topic HERE. You might find some interest in this other topic.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 06:29 am
butternuts wrote:
opinions is what i was looking for!!!

My opinion is then, that you should do what makes you happy. This life is too short to worry about what makes everyone else happy. :wink: If you and your cousin are happy together, you aren't hurting anyone. Do it. Life your life and be happy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 07:12 am
My paternal grandparents were first cousins............................and look what happened to me! Shocked
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 07:21 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My paternal grandparents were first cousins............................and look what happened to me! Shocked

Shocked Further proof.....

....that you should do what makes you happy! Phoenix is pretty a-ok in my book.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 01:16 pm
JPB wrote:
butternuts -- we had a fairly long discussion about this topic HERE. You might find some interest in this other topic.

yeah i read that. thank you
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 07:08 am
Curious what your kids think of the situation, and if they are already grown.

That's the only thing I would worry about for you and possibly have an opinio on. The possible effects on the kids.

The rest wouldn't be so much opinion as judging you, and I see no point in doing that. I don't know you and your situation so it would be meaningless.
0 Replies

butternuts

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 08:47 am
mushypancakes wrote:
Curious what your kids think of the situation, and if they are already grown.

That's the only thing I would worry about for you and possibly have an opinio on. The possible effects on the kids.

The rest wouldn't be so much opinion as judging you, and I see no point in doing that. I don't know you and your situation so it would be meaningless.

My daughter is 4 and his is 6. So they really don't completely understand. He went through a divorce from a really unhealthy relationship not too long ago. His daughter is just really glad that she has a place that is like a family to her. We took it really slow with them. They have seen us together for about six months( and when i say "together" i mean not really in any other way but friends) and just recently we have acctually become affectionate around them. My daughter has never had a dad in the house so she absolutely loves this. i have never gotten negative energy or behavior from either of them.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2007 02:57 pm
By respecting the boundary of family you know that you have friends you can always count on. You don't have to worry about looking attractive to them or losing them -- you know that they are just there for you, they love you but they don't want to **** you, and they will never turn on you.

Well, I'd say you sure screwed that up...
0 Replies