Why Aren't Pro-Choicer's Screaming Bloody Murder About This?

baddog1

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:14 am
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19399919/

"...Cutts, Jessie's boyfriend, was arrested Saturday and will be arraigned Monday in Stark County Municipal Court at 3 p.m. He faces two counts of murder in connection with the deaths of Jessie and the unborn child.

Jessie was due to give birth July 3.

She and Cutts have a 2-year-old son together. He is also believed to be the father of the unborn baby girl, Chloe..."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,540 • Replies: 47
No top replies

Chai

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:19 am
In that....?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 08:50 am
Quote:

Why should they be?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 11:08 am
You're screaming enough for all of us.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 01:32 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Quote:

Why should they be?

Oh - I don't know. Rolling Eyes There are only hundreds of pages on this site going on about how the unborn are not humans, should have no rights, should be exterminated if Mommy doesn't want it, are akin to a chicken egg...and so on. Yet your government representatives see fit to charge this fellow with the extermination of a ahem zygote!!!

It seems that the pro-choicers would use this grand opportunity to stand up for their beliefs and speak out for the poor fellow's rights (when pertaining to the murder charge against said zygote) - yet it's eerily silent out there. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 01:35 pm
The "zygote" was 38/39 weeks old. Rolling Eyes

It's only a zygote until it becomes an embryo and after that a fetus.

So if you want to scream bloody murder about anything, at least use the proper terminology.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 01:40 pm
I suppose there is a point here. We could behave as the "Right to Lifers" do, and picket courthouses, loudly condemning prosecutors with invidious imprecations. We could then blow up a few courthouses (as the right to life crowd do with abortion clinics when they want to show their powerful dedication to the sanctity of life), and perhaps assassinate a prosecutor or two at long range with sniper rifles. That would be an appropriate approximation of the methods of the anti-abortion crowd.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
So how many people has our Right to Life President sent to their deaths over in Iraq? How many uninsured middle class Americans have died since Bush became president because they can't afford medical treatment? Infant mortality is at a 30 year high in the US because health programs for the poor are underfunded. Why aren't the RTLifters screaming about that?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:12 pm
baddog1 wrote:
It seems that the pro-choicers would use this grand opportunity to stand up for their beliefs and speak out for the poor fellow's rights (when pertaining to the murder charge against said zygote) - yet it's eerily silent out there. :wink:

You are very confused, baddog. There is nothing pro-choice about a woman being murdered.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 02:49 pm
baddog has a very valid point. I honestly don't know whether the charge of murder should be put on him for the unborn child as well as the mother. That is a tough one, because the kid was so close to being born that it probably could have survived outside the womb at that point.

My view has always been that there is no exact point when life begins that everyone can agree on, so the government should stay out of it, and let the people involved make their own decisions about abortion. But this is not abortion, it's murder. Maybe there should be some other classification for this type of thing. Either way, I can absolutely see baddog's point.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:06 pm
Ok, somebody educate me here... serious question --

Can a woman who is 38/39 weeks pregnant walk into an abortion clinic and announce that she's changed her mind about this whole baby thing and request/receive an abortion on demand?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:07 pm
kickycan wrote:
baddog has a very valid point. I honestly don't know whether the charge of murder should be put on him for the unborn child as well as the mother. That is a tough one, because the kid was so close to being born that it probably could have survived outside the womb at that point.

Unless there were medical problems with the fetus, it would have survived. A fetus can survive without the mother at 29 weeks, with help. After 34 weeks, the fetus can be born without any problems or complications.

She was well past 34 weeks.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:14 pm
baddog1 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Quote:

Why should they be?

Oh - I don't know. Rolling Eyes There are only hundreds of pages on this site going on about how the unborn are not humans, should have no rights, should be exterminated if Mommy doesn't want it, are akin to a chicken egg...and so on. Yet your government representatives see fit to charge this fellow with the extermination of a ahem zygote!!!

If you can't tell the difference between a woman who requests an abortion of an embryo and a pregnant woman who is murdered, then I'm afraid it is beyond my limited powers to help you.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:15 pm
JPB wrote:
Ok, somebody educate me here... serious question --

Can a woman who is 38/39 weeks pregnant walk into an abortion clinic and announce that she's changed her mind about this whole baby thing and request/receive an abortion on demand?

Not unless the woman's life was endangered by the pregnancy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:19 pm
Thanks, joe. That's what I thought.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:20 pm
baddog1 wrote:

Oh - I don't know. Rolling Eyes There are only hundreds of pages on this site going on about how the unborn are not humans, should have no rights, should be exterminated if Mommy doesn't want it,
Do you have evidence that the mother made the choice to end the pregnancy?

Quote:
are akin to a chicken egg...and so on. Yet your government representatives see fit to charge this fellow with the extermination of a ahem zygote!!!
Actually no. The law in question requires that the fetus be viable.
Quote:

The only one using the murder of this woman for grandstanding seems to be you. The fact that you wink at us while using her murder says quite a bit about your integrity, don't you think?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:28 pm
Pro-Choice means the woman decides if she wants to carry the pregnancy to term.

This woman obviously made that decision.

But for the murder, her choice was being honored.

Therefore, pro-choice people have no argument with her decision, or the prosecutor's.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 03:31 pm
You guys are a buncha wet blankets . . . i suppose this means i don't get to blow up no courthouse, nor shoot no prosecutors . . .
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:46 pm
baddog1 wrote:
It seems that the pro-choicers would use this grand opportunity to stand up for their beliefs and speak out for the poor fellow's rights (when pertaining to the murder charge against said zygote) - yet it's eerily silent out there.

I'm sure it was an irresistible rhetorical ploy to treat this murder as an analog to abortion, but conveniently overlooking the fact that the termination of the zygote was also accompanied by the murder of a woman is so tastelessly opportunistic as to undermine whatever cleverness you thought were invoking with this disgusting word game.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:37 am
Yes, he should be charged with 2 counts of murder. The fetus had a fully-functioning brain at that point so it was ethically the same as killing a post-birth baby.

Had she been less than 6 months pregnant, then it would not be right to charge him with the 2nd count of murder even if he knew she was pregnant. The penalty for causing the death of a fetus less than 24 weeks should be equivalent to that for killing a dog: The owner may legally have the dog euthanized for any reason, but someone who kills a dog without the consent of the owner may be prosecuted and required to compensate the family for their loss.
0 Replies