Worst Actor Ever?

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 03:07 pm
Redford is 70 and I think his skin type may have contributed a lot to that swarthy complexion.

Brad Pitt as the worst actor? I smell sour grapes.

Redford hasn't always been in great films and, in fact, has turned in some performances that would have made Brad Pitt seem like Sir Lawrence Olivier.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:20 pm
Lightwizard - Plus, the Utah Sun done Danced on that face too much. :wink:
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:27 pm
I still say Stephen Segal, or however you spell it, has got to be one the WORST ever!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2007 08:38 am
Looking back on the thread, it looks like Keanu Reeves and Steven Segal are sharing the "honors," with David Caruso a close follow-up. If one really goes back into film history, even into the silent era, Ramon Navarro might have looked good on the silent screen but he had a poorly trained voice which not only couldn't project, it was high-pitched to the point of being shrill. We'll never know if voice training could have kept him in the movies because of the murder, but, of course, the whole idea of silent film stars trying to make the transfer to sound is comically exploited in "Singin' in the Rain," with possibly one of the funniest scenes in any film comedy -- Jean Hagan as Lena Lamont being filmed with her natural voice (likely pretty close to Ramon Navarro's) and the studio preview loosing the sync with the picture and sound. Hilarious.

John Gilbert's career sank into the sunset when they could get a decent recording of his weak, raspy voice.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 07:48 am
I dont like Nicolas Cage.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 10:39 am
It's not that I don't like Cage in some of his films, but he's made some bad choices in the past decade like "The Wicker Man." He knows he's getting too long-in-the-tooth for the action hero stuff but still "lent" himself with the ridiculous wig-jobs or whatever make-up is doing to milk every last dollar out of them. They should have made him pay back the studio for his performance in "The Wicker Man."
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 06:16 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
John Gilbert's career sank into the sunset when they could get a decent recording of his weak, raspy voice.

Years ago I read somewhere that Louis B Mayer (I think) had the sound technicians deliberately sabotage Gilbert's voice recordings, to get back at him for stealing one of his women. I wonder if that is true.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 06:45 pm
I do think that's what did occur. Gilbert needed voice training which is what several of MGM's silent stars received when making the transition to talkies. The recording technique had raspy built in to boot -- until they finally got to an optical track for the sound, it left a lot to be desired. I've been watching some restored 1950-1960 wide screen films on HDNet Movies and the soundtracks are multi-channel but not surround. They do a good job restoring the soundtracks as well as the film image. I usually click on the enhanced movie mode on my surround receiver which simulates rear channels and the depth of the old stereo tracks.
0 Replies

SamSpade

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 04:06 am
Arnold "I'll Be Back" Schwarzenegger Shocked
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 05:37 am
SamSpade wrote:
Arnold "I'll Be Back" Schwarzenegger Shocked

Arnold doesn't need to 'act.' He's Arnold!
He only needs to be himself. lol
Very Happy
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 07:31 pm
I used to think that about George C Scott. No matter what the movie was or who the character was, what you got was GCS. I disliked him intensely.
Then one day I realised that I had seen all his films and appreciated each one (in the true sense of the word), in fact I have seen many of them over and over again. Is that the sign of a good actor? Even though you might not like them you still think their work is good?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 09:24 pm
GCS underplayed his roles, even "Patton." The intensity of the performance came over at the right times. I think later in his career, this became a kind of stagnation -- he lost the groove.
0 Replies