Worst Actor Ever?

Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Jun, 2007 01:17 pm
Reasons and comments
Dagmaraka: I always enjoy your comments. Good to see 'ya!

I must admit some of my inclusions are debatable (well, they ALL are debatable..but while being sincere I include some to be provocative, too).

Jack Black was good in that rock-and-roll (School of Rock) movie where he is the teacher. He was sort of bad in King Kong remake.

I hear that Will Ferrell (not colin farrell) is now supposed to be good in a movie where his character seemingly is caught in a story where the hidden author is directing/controlling his life. Seems interesting enough to see it.

Spiderman actress: Kirsten Dunst. Wholesome, peaches-and-cream complexion...sexy woman, but so-so actress...former child-star who is often picked for big box-office roles but seldom delivers. Though, I think she was good in 'The Virgin Suicides'.

For that matter, I nominate Tobey Maguire for inclusion on as Worst Actor list. I hear that he splinters when he's touched (wooden).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 08:16 am
I liked Jack Black in "School of Rock," a powerhouse comedic performance but I also liked his portrayal of the producer/director in "King Kong" because Jackson was trying to make a new version with a new interpretation of the characters. It's one sequel that makes a good and different bookend to the first movie with a plethora of bad remakes sandwiched in between.

McQuire has turned in some great performances, especially as the jockey Red Pollard in "Seabisquit" (amazing). He held his own in a group of top performances in "Wonderboys," but his best was probably Homer Wells in "The Cider House Rules," or perhaps Paul Hood in "The Ice Storm." I feel that maybe you haven't seen these films?

# Seabiscuit (2003) .... Red Pollard
# Wonder Boys (2000) .... James Leer
# Ride with the Devil (1999/I) .... Jake Roedel
# The Cider House Rules (1999) .... Homer Wells
# Pleasantville (1998) .... David
# Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) .... Hitchhiker
# Deconstructing Harry (1997) .... Harvey Stern/Harry's Character
# The Ice Storm (1997) .... Paul Hood
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 09:56 am
I do maintain my opinion on Jack Black, but you've made some convincing debate on it. Though, if I liked him in School of Tock I guess he can't be included on the Worst list.

On Tobey Maguire....I have a short memory at times. I thought that in Spiderman series there was just something lacking..a certain dynamism.
I see him as not having a lot of range ..flat.That could be just me.

I saw him in Cider House Rules and Seabiscuit and agree he was pretty good. So he can be removed off the Worst list.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 10:02 am
I think when Tobey is able to shirk off the "Spiderman" persona and get some more seriously juicy roles, he could surprise all of us. He's not been nominated for an Oscar, but some critics thought he was shorted for "Seabisquit."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:50 am
Looking back at Seabiscuit and his portrayal of Red, I think he could have had a legitimate gripe that year. What I noticed most here from this movie was how strong an actor Chris Cooper is.

Who won Best actor that year, 2003? Looking it up...Seems that Sean Penn won Best Actor in a lead role for Mystic River. Seems fitting there.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 11:58 am
Yes, Tobey could have possibly been a supporting actor nomination if it weren't for Chris Cooper. I think they probably shared votes and neither one got nominated. The film's actors received no nominations although it was up for Best Picture.

However, McQuire was nominated for the SAG Award but didn't win.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 04:07 pm
Who saw Jack Black in "High Fidelity"? I knew from that performance that with the right vehicle, he was gonna blow up.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 04:24 pm
Cary Elwes does comedy best for some inexplicable reason. He was perfect in "The Princess Bride." He was also in Coppola's "Dracula" but wasn't given a great deal to do -- he didn't get that great dying scene Bill Campbell was afforded. They're both pretty faces and the depth of their acting is probably best described as average.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:22 pm
All-time favourite loser actor - Kevin Costner. ****, ****, shitty actor. The only decent portrayal he did was in Field of Dreams. Everything else was crap.

This is open for discussion, of course, but I'll probably win this one Laughing
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:48 pm
Wait..Wait...you didn't like his performance in "Dances With Wolves"?

Let's forget 'Waterworld' for the sake of discussion...pretend he never was in it. Can you honestly say you don't feel that he was pretty good in 'Dances with Wolves'?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:52 pm
I've liked him in a few movies. "Bull Durham", "Waterworld" (I know how people feel about that one so, there's really no need to rake it over the coals yet again) and "A Perfect World" with Clint Eastwood.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 09:54 pm
Oooooooh, he was damned good in Bull Durham.

The Will Ferrell movie Ragaman alluded to was indeed very good. Will Ferrel was still sort of Will Ferrell, because I know him from so many comedic characters, but in this he was different. Still got down to his skivvies, I belive. Now, what was the name of that movie.....? Ah, Stranger Than Fiction.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:03 pm
I just read a piece of trivia about Costner that made me snarf..had to share this:

"Sioux nation gave Costner a tract of land after making Dances with Wolves (1990). Costner built a golf course on that land."
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:05 pm
oh fer cryin out loud.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:08 pm
Costner might get a bad rap just for "The Postman" and a some duds since, but I thought he was excellent in "Bull Durham" and "A Perfect World." I have a feeling there are always going to be some pet peeves in any thread about the worst of anything.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2007 10:10 pm
Also he won an Academy Award for Best Director with 'Dances With Wolves' and was nominated for Best Actor..lost out to Jeremy Irons.

"Opened the Tatanka Interpretive site in Deadwood, South Dakota, in 2003. The site features a bronze statue depicting the Lakota Sioux buffalo hunt. There is also a museum, gift shop, and living history of the Lakota Sioux tribe. "

LittleK? what's wrong? did I say something?
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 04:31 am
I thought he was "neat" in No Way Out.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 04:40 am
Right, Dorothy. No Way Out was really unusual in that there was no resolution to Costner's double agent status. I liked that aspect. He gave a convincing performance.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:21 am
I loved The Postman and Waterworld.

I cant think of bad actors at the mo, il get back to you.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 05:59 am
Ragman wrote:
Wait..Wait...you didn't like his performance in "Dances With Wolves"?

Let's forget 'Waterworld' for the sake of discussion...pretend he never was in it. Can you honestly say you don't feel that he was pretty good in 'Dances with Wolves'?

I read the book before seeing the movie and while the general public may have thought his performance in Dances was fine, he didn't manage to get behind the character in the book. In the film, he was too weak.
0 Replies