TX redistricting OK'd; appeal to be made to USSC

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 08:25 am
In Texas the only qualification for winning is to be a white Republican. Others need not apply.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:52 am
Quote:
"Troublemakers." That's what House Speaker Tom Craddick's press secretary called Texas House Democrats on Sunday.

Not "loyal opposition." Not "honorable but misguided colleagues from the other side of the aisle."

The word choice isn't accidental, nor is it likely that it was just Bob Richter's opinion. Official spokesmen rarely use words that haven't first been uttered by their bosses.

"Troublemakers" was just the latest verbal example of the deterioration in relations taking place in the Legislature over the issue of midcycle congressional redistricting. The decay infecting the state's political bodies, however, is not restricted to the R's and D's in the House.

Republican Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst took a shot last week at the House GOP leaders, likening them to "Iranian cabdrivers" in their efforts to reach a compromise map with the Senate. Dewhurst said that House leaders exhibited "a style of negotiating in which they wait to the last minute and then try to pile on additional requests."

The obligatory apology was quick in coming from Dewhurst spokesman Dave Beckwith. Iranian-Americans didn't deserve the comparison.

Is it any wonder that voters have become cynical about politicians and their promises?

Texans are arguably observing the greatest leadership vacuum in nearly 158 years of statehood. (emphasis mine) Signs pointing to that as a truism abound:

• Spurred by U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay and Gov. Rick Perry, the Republicans initiated the divisive debate on midcycle redistricting during the regular session, when many other pressing issues faced the state.

• Perry has called an unprecedented three special sessions -- and has hinted at a fourth -- on the completely unnecessary issue of redrawing congressional lines.

• Democrats twice fled the state to halt the redistricting debate, stalling or killing votes on other legislation important to Texans.

• The Republicans inexplicably did not reach agreement among themselves on a redrawn map during the weeks they sat around Austin, waiting for the Senate Democrats to return from Albuquerque, N.M.

Ego is the disease of politics, and the leadership of the Texas Legislature is eaten up with it. Some illnesses abate with time and a heavy infusion of antibiotics, but recovery for Texas' political leadership will take nothing less than a miracle.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:03 pm
After all of the newspaper quotes and the posturing, I am sure that the bottom line will be reflected in "Who Controls the Votes in the Texas Legislature at this time"

We shall see.

I may even move down to Texas in 2004!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 05:05 pm
Quote:
...With just six days remaining in a third special legislative session called on the divisive issue, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst announced that a deal had been reached on a map designed to give Republicans a majority in the Texas congressional delegation.

The new map, if used in the 2004 elections, should give DeLay at least five more Republican seats in the U.S. House from Texas. Details of the proposal will not be released until today.

(Rep. Martin) Frost said the Republican plan will be "dead on arrival" in the federal courts because it violates federal Voting Rights Act protections for minorities. He predicted the map will not be used in the 2004 elections.

Houston Chronicle

--Speaker Tom Craddick wins the standoff and gets his own Midland district (Bush toady K. Michael Conaway has first dibs on it)
--freshman Rep. Randy Neugebauer (R) vs. veteran Rep. Charlie Stenholm (D) will fight over a now-combined Lubbock/Abilene district
--Doomed Dems: Frost, Sandlin, Turner, Lampson, Doggett
--Possibly doomed Dems: Edwards, Hall
--edit: the map is available for viewing online; click hereand follow the clicking instructions in the sidebar
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:25 pm
PDiddie wrote:
--edit: the map is available for viewing online; click hereand follow the clicking instructions in the sidebar[/color]

Yeh ... thats really elucidating, that comparison of maps (the old one and the new one).

They've really had to carve out some unlikely-looking districts to get the result they wanted, huh?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:35 pm
I wonder if NIMH in the Netherlands knows about "Gerrymandering"

It means the drawing of District Lines in order to maximize the electoral advantage of a political party.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:40 pm
Italgato wrote:

It means the drawing of District Lines in order to maximize the electoral advantage of a political party.

Yeh, I do .. and I'd say the comparison of the old map with the new map can be used to explain any school class just what gerrymandering will look like.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2003 09:40 pm
Italgato wrote:

Yes he does; he's contributed an extraordinary amount of knowledge to this thread and to this forum in a most uncontentious manner.

nimh:

The Republicans carved two districts from the outskirts of Austin to the border of Mexico in order to fashion a majority.

These won't withstand a Voting Rights challenge in federal court.

At least for 2004, my prediction is that the districts will remain as they are now.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 08:10 pm
The redistricting bill passed Sunday night on a 17-14 vote in the Senate, with two Republicans voting against the measure.

Amazingly following that, the Republicans decided at least two more faces needed to have their noses cut off: they chose to leave intact the fines they levied against Democratic Senators for not being present earlier in the special session, and they also decided to punish state Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn -- a Republican -- for failing to certify an unbalanced budget. Following are her remarks about that:

Quote:
A day after the Legislature passed a bill that would strip two high-profile programs from Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn's office, she racheted up her verbal attack on Gov. Rick Perry and said today she wouldn't rule out challenging him in 2006.

Strayhorn told the luncheon crowd at a downtown Houston hotel that she was disappointed in Perry's decision to take her stance on the state's budget shortfall and inability to balance it in June as something "personal."

"Texas taxpayers and Texas school children and the Texas Comptroller's Office are being punished for me telling the truth," she said. "I was telling the truth when I said we had a budget shortfall. I was telling the truth when I said the budget did not balance. ...

"Last Friday, behind closed doors in the Pink Granite Building, the Governor told the House Republican Caucus he wanted these programs stripped from the Comptroller's Office because 'it was personal.' ... My telling the truth is apparently what the governor takes as 'personal.'"

Strayhorn said what she sees as personal is the 160,000 school children without health insurance, the thousands of jobs that have evaporated, higher property tax rates and insurance and "the unacceptable inequality in our public education system that leaves too many children behind." She said the problems, which also include the state's transportation crisis and decreased higher education expenditures, all have come "under this governor's administration."

"What is most personal to me is the lost civility, the lost dignity, the lost honor, the lost effectiveness, and the lost spirit of bipartisanship championed by then-Governor and now President George W. Bush," said Strayhorn, whose son is Bush press secretary Scott McClellan.

Houston Chronicle

This makes about as much sense as GWB jacking with the CIA.

Tom DeLay's going to have to find a new bitch in Austin, because Rick Perry's re-election prospects are toast.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 08:17 pm
Thanks, as always, for the update PDiddie! Very Happy
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 07:54 pm
For those of you not aware of it, West Texas is the "reddest" part of this red state. The Republicans know not what they hath wrought by screwing thier most solid constituents. Opinion pieces published Tuesday in West Texas newspapers tell them, but they aren't listening:

The San Angelo Standard Times wrote:
Passage of a congressional redistricting bill by the Texas Legislature is a political windfall for Washington Republicans, but a sad event for nearly everyone else...

(T)he Texas remap effort could have been labeled the Anglo Democrat Expulsion Act, since it targets the 10 Anglo Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives. It will be surprising if even three of them survive next November's elections.

In exchange for ideological purity, the Legislature showed its eagerness, for example, to expel Rep. Charlie Stenholm, D-Abilene, and his unmatched expertise in and advocacy for agriculture, which is so critical to the Texas and San Angelo economies.

The Abilene Reporter-News wrote:
If Abilenians feel abandoned by the Republican officials they supported devotedly over the years, they should. The GOP attitude toward Abilene shows us who our true friends are.

The congressional redistricting map adopted by the Legislature makes it obvious that in the eyes of GOP leaders, Abilene is expendable. Pairing Abilene with Lubbock -- meaning one city will lose an incumbent congressman -- and isolating Abilene reveals that Republicans' oft-repeated pledge to maintain communities of interest in this process was nothing more than lip service.

Abilene fell victim to two power grabs, partly because this overwhelmingly Republican district has been electing a Democratic congressman, Charlie Stenholm. Speaker Tom Craddick's insistence on Midland as a district center meant separating it from Lubbock's dominance and putting Abilene with Lubbock instead. And U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's animosity toward Stenholm made Stenholm's removal an odd but prime objective.

The Amarillo Globe-News wrote:
The hard truth of the final (redistricting plan)... is that lawmakers have shafted the Panhandle.

The result of this hatchet job is to reduce the Panhandle's clout in Congress while giving Republicans a shot at gaining as many as six additional seats in the Texas delegation.

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen of the legislative Republican leadership.

This attempt to redraw the lines, forced upon legislators by the likes of DeLay, was particularly brutal, partisan and unforgiving.

The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal wrote:
The (redistricting) struggle has not been good for the state, and the result will not be good for West Texas.

(Sen. Robert) Duncan valiantly resisted a district map that would pit freshman Republican Randy Neugebauer of Lubbock against veteran Democrat Charlie Stenholm of Abilene -- and for good reason. Both are on the House Agriculture Committee. If they run against each other, one will lose, and West Texas will lose an important voice in agriculture.

In the end, Duncan saw that he could not win and shifted his efforts toward trying to keep Lubbock in a strong position in a congressional race.

It is difficult to argue with the Republican point that the 17-15 Democratic control of Texas' congressional delegation does not accurately reflect the political makeup of Texas.

But it is unfortunate that one of the targeted Democratic congressmen was Stenholm, who not only has served well in Congress, but also has represented agricultural interests well. The manipulation of districts to challenge him has been detrimental to West Texas.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:17 pm
Very interesting, PDiddie! Thanks!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:32 pm
PDiddie -- I've been following the San Angelo Standard for about a week and am (frankly) stunned at its a) realism and b)anti-Bushism. It has been pretty damn consistent -- in editorials and in letters to the editor. Just before y'all met in Austin, I was in West Texas and up in the Panhandle and am impressed by the steady stare of incredulity there and elsewhere. San Antonio is giving Vandeputte a hard time over alleged anti-Mexicanism. She's probably telling the truth, but, well, you know...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 08:29 am
As all parties have known it would be, the issue of redistricting is now the subject of a court case, largely over claims that the new districting dilutes minority voting power.

The plaintiffs in the case -- which include LULAC -- have subpoenaed Tom DeLay and fellow Republican Texas Congressman Joe Barton to give sworn testimony in the case.

Lawyers for DeLay and Barton are trying to have the subpoenas quashed, arguing that no court has ever required the testimony of sitting congressmen in a redistricting case.

The lead attorney for the plaintiffs has responded that DeLay's testimony "is clearly legally significant to this case because, unlike any member of Congress in any prior redistricting process, he unquestionably played the central role in Texas redistricting in 2003."

A three-judge panel has set a hearing for Monday -- that's tomorrow, December 1st -- to decide whether DeLay gets to avoid discussing his role in what happened this summer.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 09:48 am
PDiddie -- I was surprised (have I already posted this?) that the other day on San Antonio Republican talk radio DeLay was getting hammered. I didn't hear that much of it, but what I did hear genuinely startled me -- pulled over to the side of the road to make sure I didn't miss a word.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 06:27 pm
Quote:
SONORA, Texas - To folks in this hamlet on the western edge of the Texas Hill Country, redistricting seemed an issue for the big cities.

That was until state lawmakers divided Sutton County between two U.S. congressmen, splitting a place where natural gas fuels the economy and where hunters fill the main drag each autumn.

"With just 3,000 people here, it's just absurd," said John Tedford, the county's Republican party chairman. "We haven't been considered at all."

Tedford says he's now considering leaving his party post after 40 years rather than take on the responsibilities of working in two districts. County elections officials are also frustrated, saying the changes will likely cost them thousands of dollars they didn't know to budget for.

Redistricting Divides
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 06:59 pm
Thanks for the update PDiddie - I'm very curious to see how this plays out.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 08:38 am
PDiddie -- Someone oughta keep track of the activities of disaffected Republicans -- at local and national level. I keep remembering Alan Simpson's bitter statements when he retired. Bill Ratliff is certainly an interesting case, too. There's so much focus on partisan politics that we may be missing the more telling, long-term tectonic shifts within both parties... And then there is increasing questioning of the veracity of poll results... "No one I know would vote for...."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 08:49 am
DENVER (AP) - The Colorado Supreme Court ruled new congressional districts drawn by Republicans unconstitutional Monday, saying the Legislature can only take up redistricting after each census and before the ensuing general election.
The decision could have national implications in the 2004 congressional races.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2003 10:21 am
WHEW!!!

Thanks Dys!
0 Replies