TX redistricting OK'd; appeal to be made to USSC

PDiddie

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 09:37 am
Quote:
Democratic state senators contemplating a walkout to block congressional redistricting might be constitutionally protected from arrest by state police if they flee the Capitol, a lawyer has advised the senators.

Criminal defense attorney Keith Hampton also told the Senate Democratic Caucus that an arrest by a Senate sergeant at arms or a private security agency to force senators to the Senate floor for a vote might be prosecutable as kidnapping under state law.

"And it gets worse than that. If someone in the Legislature directed them to do that, there is the crime of conspiracy to commit aggravated kidnapping," punishable by up to life in prison, Hampton told the Houston Chronicle Thursday.

As redistricting nears death in the current special legislative session, Gov. Rick Perry has signaled that he may call another session as early as next week to try again to pass a bill.

Sen. Mario Gallegos, D-Houston, said he believes 11 of the Senate's 12 Democrats are committed to a walkout if they decide it is necessary to stop redistricting. He said he hopes Perry will back off and not call another special session.

"I know a stalemate when I see one, and I know when Texans have had enough," Gallegos said.

Houston Chronicle

The people are speaking, and the Republicans in Texas ignore them at their peril.

(on first edit: the session that wouldn't die.)

(on second edit: the showdown is looming...)

(on third edit: session with quorum begins next week...)

(on fourth and fifth edit: title change says it all...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,802 • Replies: 139
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 03:40 pm
This issue may be dead (for this session, and the Gov. can still call a special session, but methinks the wounds are too raw) in Texas, but look for Republican moves to consolidate power in every possible electoral situation. What we are seeing the Newtness in fruition. The recall election in California is another.
The Republicans intend to play very hardball in the coming election and most especially in the national elections one year hence.

Joe
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 04:14 pm
"On the road again...just cain't wait to get on the road again..."

Quote:
Eleven of 12 Democratic state senators abruptly left the state Capitol this afternoon and headed for Albuquerque after learning that Gov. Rick Perry was about to call a second special session on congressional redistricting.

The second special session officially began at 3:15 p.m. with congressional redistricting as the only issue in the governor's proclamation. Neither the House nor the Senate had a quorum.

One Democratic senator who asked not to be named told the Chronicle that 11 Democrats were flying this afternoon to Albuquerque, N.M.

Texas Democrats bolt again
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 04:18 pm
the best ribs in the west are in Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:21 pm
I've never eaten ribs in NM. I always went for the Northern Mexican cuisine (or whatever they actually call it).

La Casa Sena, Tiny's, the old Pink Adobe.

(Do you think Asherman would make Corazon available for a little kaffee klatch?) :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:31 pm
Wish I could get some a them ribs.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:55 pm
Have you been out in the sun too long?
For the best ribs IN the WORLD
one has to drive to the south end of MusKOgee
to
S L I C K 's

(ain't no plates on the table, jes' papers)

have you some of that b b q

(ain't no KNIves at the tables,
use you damned fork, the meat slides offa the bones.)

and besides
it's closer to Austin...........

J
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 06:57 pm
Well, edgar, I will request from Rodney Ellis a couple of orders when he returns (I'm sending a little buck-up e-mail to his office).

farm: who's got the best ribs in ALQ?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 07:22 pm
Poydrils was always good, but it was too close to ol town. So there was a joint out near the Sandia Labs (I fergot the name )

BUT OF COURSE WE DIGRESS FROM THE ORIGINAL POINT (HEE HEE).

Now in Ok, I remember a place outside of ADA where the ribs were beef. Now I can eat beef ribs if I was starvin and nobody I knew was around that theyd tell anybody imp[ortant. BUT, If I have to eat ribs, and youre gonna force me, I have got to have some pork bone.

I heard about that little old lady that has a restaurant in Hustown supposed to make some half decent ribs. I gotta find that place for my next trip down there. (I make it a point to never visit hustown until the temperature goes below boiling)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 07:36 pm
It don't get that way in Houston til about February. Then it begins to boil again about February.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 08:32 pm
Huntsville is where she and her ribs are. (The prison's there; the one where all the condemned in Texas get the needle.)

You're safely an hour or more away from the city.

The Zion something-or-other Church.

She was on 'Sunday Morning' yesterday.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:00 am
Outside the Texas Governor's Mansion:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2003-08-01/pols_naked-1.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:04 am
oy Wink
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:19 am
Austin tells it like it is. (And Perry really is very pretty!)

Ribs? I'd say East Texas. An old guy who used to have a rib shack in Austin made enough money to return (after a long stint in the military) to Caddo Lake where he's got a little rib shack now. If'n I was in E. TX. that's where I'd go lookin'. On the other hand, there's Airribs.com. But I'm not a big fan of either Texas beef or Texas BBQ (it's mostly bluster). I'll take that quiet, deep-flavored Tennessee pork, please.

Yes, the Republicans are indeed playing hardball. They've developed a grip like a vise on what they want. But haven't we noticed the grip weakening lately? The center in their own party is getting uncomfortable with their actions; the media are bringing (finally!) an element of ridicule into their portrayals of DeLay and Co.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 09:35 am
Governor (Get on down the road) Perry has wasted an awful lot of Texans' money on a session he had to know would end this way. Texas has not had enough money to meet its obligations ever since Bush's first term as Governor and Perry certainly has not helped.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 07:42 am
from the Houston Press:

Quote:
U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, frustrated by the inaction over congressional redistricting in the current special state legislative session, called for another session this week to enact further reforms.

The powerful Republican from Sugar Land says emergency action is needed to correct a long-standing inequity: Not a single Republican has been able to gain the post of county Democratic chair anywhere in Texas.

"Republicans now control every statewide office; we've got the majority in the [Texas] legislature. But -- because of the Democrats' legacy of Byzantine political ploys -- Republicans have been denied their constitutional right to become a county Democratic chair," DeLay said. "The electorate should be outraged."

Staffers said there may be problems in redrawing current county lines to ensure GOP dominance in what has traditionally been Democrat-only balloting. DeLay's counsel and receptionist were added to the state payroll by Attorney General Greg Abbott to begin preparing new maps.

Governor Rick Perry repeated his position that he is not DeLay's puppet but withheld further comment until the congressman returns from a Middle East trip with new instructions for him. A Perry aide said the costs of one more special session for this issue can be covered by cutting health care from another 5,000 Texas children.

DeLay's spokesman said the new initiative already has been enthusiastically endorsed by many prominent civic and business groups, including the Hotel-Motel Associations of Oklahoma, Louisiana and New Mexico.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 09:02 am
Did you write that PDiddie? Or do you have a link so's I can spread it around Austin? Please?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 09:15 am
Wink
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 10:15 am
http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2003-07-31/hairballs.html/1/index.html

It's the fourth item on that page.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2003 10:34 am