TX redistricting OK'd; appeal to be made to USSC

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:23 pm
Quote:
The third special session on redistricting opened at noon today with Sen. John Whitmire giving Republicans something they have lacked since July 28 -- a Senate quorum.

The presence of Whitmire, D-Houston, cleared the path for Republicans to push a redistricting bill through the Senate. Eleven Democrats, including Whitmire, had blocked the bill through two special sessions by breaking the quorum. Senate Secretary Patsy Spaw called the roll with Whitmire present. Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst immediately announced: "A quorum is present."....But at three minutes past 12 p.m. Whitmire moved that the Senate stand adjourned until 10 a.m. Tuesday. The crowd in the gallery burst into boos and jeers of: "Nazis. You're acting like Nazis!"

The other boycotting Senators walked into the empty chamber at 12:07 p.m. The gallery started cheering wildly.

Meanwhile, League of United Latin American Citizens President Hector Flores and Texas NAACP President Gary Bledsoe announced they will sue to halt the implementation of any redistricting plan adopted by the Legislature.

"I don't think there is any question that what they will propose will violate the Voting Rights Act," Bledsoe said.

Houston Chronicle
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 04:58 pm
Aha. The cojones are still in place. Relieved.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 01:46 pm
Charls Kuffner at his blog Off the Kuffhas assembled a group of Texas bloggers for the purpose of providing advice to those beleaguered Texas Democrats.

Rather than summarize here, I'll just encourage you to go there and read them. They make some incredibly good points.

It looks as if the Republicans now can't come to agreement among themselves, as predicted above:

Quote:
Texas Republicans, having finally muscled the Democrats into a corner in their four-month fight to redraw the state's congressional district lines, have moved on to a new phase of the operation: Now they are brawling among themselves over how to draw the map.

The internecine dispute has embarrassed Republican leaders and may imperil the party's plans to use its new dominance of the state legislature to push through a map designed to shift as many as six additional congressional seats into Republican hands....

But the House's version is unacceptable to some moderate Senate Republicans, and a public squabble over district boundaries between one west Texas state senator and the speaker of the Texas House -- both Republicans -- has stalled progress toward a new map, at least temporarily.

The intraparty dispute has become so intractable that Rep. Tom DeLay, the House majority leader who has been actively involved in pushing the redistricting idea in the state legislature, flew to Austin last week to broker a compromise among the Republicans. He failed....

Republicans insist they will find a compromise by next week. "There's a lot of ways to skin this cat," said David Beckwith, spokesman for Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst (R).

Wa Po
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:44 am
Has anyone yet compared the share of the vote for Republicans and Democrats in the last elections with the share of the seats they won?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:11 am
2002 Congressional elections

Republicans
53,3% 15 House seats
Democrats
43,9% 17 House seats
Libertarians
2,5%
Greens
0,2%

see http://clerk.house.gov/members/election_information/2002election.pdf

[Edit, using PDiddies link: There were 8 relatively "close" races, in which the representative elected won with less than 60% of the vote; 6 times a Democrat won, and 2 times a Republican.]

Map of the current division into US Congressional districts should be available at http://nationalatlas.gov/cgd108m.html (didnt work for me, explanation would be welcome), maps of individual current Texas Congressional districts are at http://nationalatlas.gov/congdistprint.html#Texas
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:17 am
(was entering this as I saw you post, so I'll leave it unchanged)

I don't find it broken down for Texas like you say, nimh, but here are the results at a glance, from Election 2002.

Statewide offices (Governor, Lt. Governor, Comptroller, Attorney General, etc.) were a Republican sweep, on the order of about a 55-45 majority across the board. Tom DeLay considers this a mandate for change in Washington representation.

As has been previously written, the types of Democrats they wish to gerrymander into retirement include Martin Frost, Charlie Stenholm, Ralph Hall, Max Sandlin, and Chet Edwards.

If you have questions about specific districts or their representatives, I can probably assist.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:46 am
Thanks for the link. Link I used has the official election returns, but it doesnt have the percentages by district your CNN link has, so that was interesting.

Used it to edit my post above and add a tidbit.

I must admit - looking at those figures - the current districting does seem to give a distinct advantage to the Democrats - if US Congress elections would suddenly switch to proportional representation, the Dems would lose 3 seats as well.

Of course I get the point about having only once-ten-yearly redistricting sessions - and the complete arbitrariness of doing an impromptu "mid-term" redistricting in Texas and not anywhere else. Once you go down that path ...

But still, it does seem the Reps could argue that the previous redistricting did not translate into a fair representation of voters' political preferences.

But then, they were there, they woulda gotten their regularly scheduled chance the next time round - and the district system doesnt fairly represent voters' political preferences, period.

Still, had never realised that the Reps do have a valid enough point here.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 10:55 am
For further comparison:

2000 Congressional elections

Rep 49,0% 13 House seats
Dem 46,8% 17 House seats
Lib 4,1%

see http://clerk.house.gov/members/election_information/2000election.pdf

That was before the last redistricting, wasn't it? After the redistricting, two new districts were added, which translated into two new seats for the Republicans - but that was only a partial compensation of the Democratic advantage.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 04:26 pm
nimh wrote:
But then, they were there, they woulda gotten their regularly scheduled chance the next time round - and the district system doesnt fairly represent voters' political preferences, period.

After the election and census of 2000 the Texas Legislature--controlled by Dems--redistricted. The Republicans, furious at the unfairness of it all, walked out.

That's right; they did the same thing four years ago that the Dems did this year. The Republicans denied quorum. The Democrats didn't change the rules by eliminating the 2/3 majority 'blocker' bill in the Senate, and instead of having their partisan Governor call three consecutive special sessions, the Legislature referred the matter to federal court, which established the current boundaries (the maps nimh linked to above; thanks, nimh).

Here's the difference, as I see it:

The genie is out of the bottle as it relates to redistricting on whim; no longer will this be a once-a-decade event following the US Census but will take place every time the legislative majority shifts, and not just in Texas but in Colorado and other states (as we have seen).

It's proof of the scorched-earth philosophy Republicans are now deploying everywhere to get their way. Nothing matters except winning.

The contentiousness meter is red-lining, and shows no sign of abating.

Thanks, Tom DeLay. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 07:19 am
Jes' talkin' to muhsef over hayere, don' mind me...

Quote:
After 10 hours of debate, the Senate late Tuesday gave preliminary approval to a long-fought redistricting bill, a measure designed to bolster Republican strength in Congress.

"I understand my friends and colleagues may want to take this to the courts. Our job is to pass a respectful, careful, reasonable bill. And that's what we did today," said Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, predicting healing among lawmakers after a bruising fight.

Sen. Eliot Shapleigh, D-El Paso, had less kind words for the process.

"This is a coup d'etat without elections and without bloodshed," he said, characterizing the vote as an element in a national GOP plan to gain a stranglehold on Congress. "What Republicans on this floor don't see is what Republicans in D.C. are doing nationwide."

The vote was 18-13 along party lines, with the exception of Sen. Teel Bivins, R-Amarillo, who favors a House version of the map that treats his region differently.

After a final Senate vote expected Wednesday, the GOP-backed plan will go to a conference committee to tackle significant differences between House and Senate versions - notably in West Texas. Sen. Robert Duncan, R-Lubbock, expressed hope for a compromise on the so-far unsolvable West Texas jigsaw.

"I'm the eternal optimist," said Mr. Duncan, who thinks an agreement can be worked out with with House Speaker Tom Craddick, R-Midland.

Dallas News
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:00 am
You're not talkin' to yerself, PDid. I've been reading along. It's interesting to see how this mess is being covered elsewhere in the state.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:05 am
Admittedly, this topic is colloquial, especially for a board that has international participation.

I'll probably cease the play-by-play, although if anything's doing at the Capitol next week when we Gather I'll pop in.

(What am I thinking; those people don't work on the weekend...)

Look forward to meeting you next week, mac.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 08:06 am
Same here! Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 03:01 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Jes' talkin' to muhsef over hayere, don' mind me...

Admittedly, this topic is colloquial, especially for a board that has international participation.

Oy! This international contributor just participated in your thread yesterday - and put in some research, an' all!

May not have been making the kind of point you were looking for people to make, but still ... or all the more!

(I really didnt know that the Tex Republicans were undertaking their irresponsible machinations - irresponsible, because I agree with your genie-bottle argument - to redress an actual lopsided disadvantage they're facing.

I had simply assumed that they were using some entrenched advantage to increase it - never saw anything here to suggest otherwise.)

Anyway - I was reading along all the time - think its a really interesting topic - and definitely appreciate the updates. ;-)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 07:54 pm
Hey, nimmer, you've contributed more to this thread than I have, and it is greatly valued.

Sometimes good threads trickle down to what amounts to a chat, which is fine as far as it goes, it's just that it's probably a little boring for most people outside of Deep-in-the-Hearta. Not you, obviously.

(Aside: you get what few do. This issue is the coalmine's gasping canary.)

So until something wild or interesting happens (always a possibility when the Leg is in session) I won't link any more daily blab.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 09:59 pm
P Diddle is afraid that this topic might be boring.

It is not boring at all. It is very interesting. It shows that after all the philosphical blah-blah, the critical element is control of the political process.

The Republicans will gain from three to five seats from the re-districting.

Despite the bluster that will predictably come from the left, the Republicans will increase their strength in the House.

Who knows, the added seats in the House from Texas may even result in the election of Tom DeLay as Speaker of the House in November 2004.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 05:15 pm
The Republicans can't seem to get their **** together:

Quote:
A day after the Senate passed a bill redrawing congressional districts, House Speaker Tom Craddick declared that a last-minute amendment that would affect Bexar and Webb counties could cause the Justice Department to reject the entire state plan.

The amendment by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, would split Webb County into two districts and remove about 130,000 residents in South Bexar County from U.S. Rep. Ciro Rodriguez's 28th Congressional District.

"It's simple. That amendment causes retrogression, and it will not pass Justice Department (scrutiny)," Craddick said.

Texas is one of 16 states required to get pre-clearance from the Justice Department before it can change political boundaries. The clearance is intended to verify that changes to political districts do not disenfranchise any of the state's minority voters.

Responding to Craddick's comments, Wentworth said the Republican House speaker was poorly advised.

"I've gotten very different legal advice from lawyers we pay a lot of money to," Wentworth said. "I'd like to know who is advising (Craddick), but it's not very good (advice)."

The redistricting plan faces other obstacles:

Rest here.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 07:41 am
Another week, and the quarrel just gets more amusing:

Quote:
Using unusually strong language, Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst accused House Speaker Tom Craddick of obstructing negotiations for a compromise on congressional redistricting that kept House and Senate members in the Capitol until past 3 a.m. today.

"At this late hour, we need to come together on a mapÂ… and stop playing the Iranian cab driver negotiations where you get what you want and then you start adding on two, three, more requests," an angry Dewhurst told reporters.

Dewhurst and Senate negotiators said they were at the bargaining table for 12 hours, starting Wednesday afternoon, and were frustrated that the process is stalled until middle ground on a West Texas district is reached.

Craddick, a Midland native, wants a Midland-based congressional district. Currently, Midland and the oil patch economy of the Permian Basin want to be separated from its current anchor, the agricultural-based economy in Lubbock.

Lead Senate negotiators said they had no progress to report this afternoon on the continuing standoff, which some feel may cause the current third special session to end without a redistricting bill passed.

San Antonio Express-News

An "Iranian cabdriver".

That's an ad hominem, right? Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 07:50 am
I read along, PDiddie, but, being a Texan, I am too sickened by Republican tactics to have much to say that won't be interpreted as whining at this point.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 08:01 am
ed:

It's no reflection on us if we laugh while our state legislators do an interpretation of a passel of monkeys trying to **** a football.

I didn't vote for these fools, and you didn't either.

The longer this show lasts, the more votes they lose. Cool
0 Replies