Your favourite 'horror' movies?

kenji

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 03:01 am
My favourites.

Night of the Hunter. It defies neat genre categories, but it's so brilliant i'll include it here.

The Shining

the 2 above stand out ahead of the rest:

Nosferatu (Murnau)

The Innocents (little-known, beautiful and mysterious British film from 1961)

Suspiria

The Wicker Man

Vampyr (Dreyer- eerie)

The Bride of Frankenstein

Don't Look Now

Psycho
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Sun 14 Mar, 2004 10:03 pm
Re: Your favourite 'horror' movies?
51Days wrote:

1. The Birds

2. The Fog (Carpenter).

3. The Dead Trilogy

4. Alien

5. American Werewolf in London

6. 28 Days Later.

8. Jaws (Spielberg). Pure thrill! Great film...I don't have to add that the composition of the cast (Robert Shaw, Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss) was a lucky choice!!

those are all fantastic films (I deleted the lame ones).Glad to see 28 Days Later made the list. Very Happy
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 04:21 pm
I'd have to say The Changelling is the creepiest movie I've seen, but that might have to do with the fact I saw it for the first time when I was 7 or 8 years old. Still creeps me out though.
The Shining
Poltergiest
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The most frieghtened I've been watching a movie was after a scene in an asian horror movie called 'The Eye'. The movie was 'ok' at best, but there's a scene in the film that played some serious gahgah on my mind. If you decide to see it, watch it by yourself, with the lights out and turn the volume up loud. You'll see what I mean.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 04:45 pm
I love schlocky mad scientist and space invasion movies, especially from the 50's and 60's. One favorite that comes to mind is a peter cushing film called "Island of Terror", where these silly turtle-like monsters eat people's bones and leave a boneless pile of skin and organs behind.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 04:55 pm
hi all!
I LOVE horror movies!!!
The Wicker Man, Phoenix! I kept waiting for something to happen and then was just horrified! That was a good one!
Anything with zombies in it really lights my fire! All the George Romero's. There's a new one coming out, a remake of Dawn of the Dead, I think? ooh, I can't wait!
I don't tend to like the slasher-type movies, only real monsters (because I know there's no such thing as monsters, I guess)! Or I hope... Smile
On a slightly different tone, I really liked "The Brain that Wouldn't Die". Creepy.
My all-time favorite was from the days of Creature Double Feature, and I don't know the name of it, but it forever changed my life and my teenage habits! It was about these horrid monsters, all lumpy and bumpy, and in the end it was either water or headlights that finally killed them. Not so good on the details, but I do remember it scared the heck out of me!
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 05:19 pm
Suzy, I think the movie you're thinking of is "Invasion of the Saucermen" 1957 It was aliens vs. teenagers on lovers lane. they defeated the aliens with their car headlights. It stared Frank Gorshin who played the Riddler on the Batman T.V. show.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 05:38 pm
Oh my God, that's it!!!
thank you, thank you!
I wonder if it's on video or DVD?
Yep, changed my "parking habits" alright!
weren't threy hideous?!! Smile
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 05:48 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
If Ahnold goes in for any more "facial corrections," he might begin looking like Bowie!

Do you notice how Ahnold's nose gets bigger when he gropes now Cool
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 06:04 pm
if you get the chance, watch Spiders with Human Heads. It is a freaky Japanese horror w/ subtitles.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2004 07:00 pm
Smile Sounds like my kinda movie!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2004 11:02 am
Neat- "Spiders With Human Heads". With a name like that, it's gotta be a quality film.
0 Replies

BWShooter

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 01:08 pm
Equus wrote:
Neat- "Spiders With Human Heads". With a name like that, it's gotta be a quality film.

the copy I have is a bit grainy and dark but overall, it is creepy.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 03:50 pm
anyone going to the remake of "Dawn of the Dead"
i love those flicks..missing Day of the Dead...but my roomie is not a horror fan...saw Rob Zombie's "House of a 1000 Corpses" very funny...
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 01:42 pm
I'm sure I will see the new Dawn of the Dead, and probably enjoy it. The zombies-eating-brains business was invented by Romero.

A great (although very dated) pre-Romero zombie movie is "White Zombie", with Bela Lugosi. He uses zombies in the old-fashioned way, as cheap labor on a (sugar?) mill. There is a horrific scene where the undead workers are pushing the mill wheel around. Very scary if you can imagine seeing it in the 1930's, a little silly today.

"The Serpent and the Rainbow", a more recent film '70s/'80's? provides a rather believable account of how Caribbean zombification works.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 01:43 pm
Quote:
"The Serpent and the Rainbow", a more recent film '70s/'80's? provides a rather believable account of how Caribbean zombification works.

Did you read the book? It was fascinating!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 01:44 pm
No I haven't read it, but I'm sure I'd like it.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 04:26 pm
Has anyone seen "THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE" ?
It's a Spanish ghost story
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 10:06 pm
I saw Dawn of the dead yesterday! It was real good! I recommend it! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 02:08 am
The Ring (Japanese Version)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:56 am
Still "Silence of the Lambs."

"Suspiria," "Frankenstein," "Bram Stoker's Dracula," "Dracula" (Lugosi), and "The Night of the Living Dead" come to mind.
0 Replies