Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:09 pm
Could be "The Incubus" of 1981 but not sure about the priest and location:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084133/combined
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 07:10 pm
Some people laugh at horror movies.
But it's stranger when people find horror in movies with other intentions.

A few years ago, in an IMDB forum, a filmgoer from India wanted more information about a strange "South American horror film", the creepiest he had seen in his life, about a family whose member cruelly slaughter each other.

From the plot outline he gave, I concluded it was "Los Sobrevivientes" (The Survivors), a Cuban "didactical" film, a mandatory view for 7th graders in all schools in the island.

"The Survivors" were a bourgoise family who didn't want to acknowledge the existence of the Revolution outside, barricaded themselves, with their servants, in their mansion, and... well... didn't survive (with the exception of 2 incestuous, rebellious teenagers).

Remembering the film, I realized it was really very dark and creepy, and that the Cuban authorities, blinded by ideology, never understood it.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 08:04 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Could be "The Incubus" of 1981 but not sure about the priest and location:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084133/combined

No, it was definately set in N.O., and I remember going to see it with my (then) new wife, so it had to be 1987.
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 08:07 pm
How about "Carafax Abbey"? IMBD and amazon don't even HAVE it, but the plot sounds like this one. . . priest has to fend off a succubus preying on his parishoners or so. . .
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 08:40 pm
I don't remember. I remember it was in general release, we saw it in Laramie and only the most banal of films made it up there.
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 12:48 am
was ringu better than the ring?
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 08:42 am
A lot of people seem to say so, bugger. . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 10:59 am
It's "The Unholy" from 1987 (shown as 1988 on IMDb):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096340/combined
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:02 am
LW, you remain my hero! Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:08 am
Just a few minutes of diligent searching on Google because the keywords were bringing nothing up on IMDb (needs some serious work by the webmaster and being a member of IMDb Pro which I pay for, I'm going to complain).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:11 am
(Actually, only demon and priest would have likely brought it up among a long list of other films!).
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 11:18 am
Gotta love a film that has someone listed in the credits as "Sexy Demon Lesbian #2."
Anyway, found it on ebay and am bidding for it, along with another classic cheesy horror movie, "Lair of the White Worm." Hillarious, and bad on purpose!
As far as the Ringu/Ring debate, I think it depends on which one you saw first. As far as villains go, Samara is far more frightening then Sadako, since truly evil children are so difficult to comprehend and she therefore arouses sympathy in the viewer until at the end we realise she is irredeemable. But the Ringu trilogy relies more on the viewer's imagination to flesh out the horror, and that always receives far greater praise from me.
The curse tape is better in Ring, thanks to the higher budget, and has generated a great deal of discussion on the Ring's own discussion board, as has the nature of Samara's evil, and its possible differences from the evil of Sadako.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:44 pm
You'd probably also like "Suspiria" a surreal excursion into madness. Actually, more widely acceped as a great horror film and it certainly is not for the squimish. It's garrish colors and halucinatory imagery is really a shock to the senses.

I always liked that phrase because it can mean the sense of smell -- a stinker, perhaps?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 05:51 pm
I have that one (quelle surprise, non?)!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 06:58 pm
Notice the several resemblances to "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari?" The expressionistic sets, the way the actors moved around and the metaphysical overtones. The final scenes in that film are really a nightmarish extravaganza of imagination.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:01 pm
Another thread here at Able2Know led me to this site:

http://streams.omroep.nl/nps/dekortefilm/mixedup/flow/flow.html

I'm not sure why, but the animation reminds me of the video in The Ring. Click on different objects to make things happen.

You might want to wait and see if I'm still around 7 days from now before you watch it.
0 Replies

crumbles

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:03 pm
ten good ones
It's a blind list, before seeing what everyone else wrote.

In alphabetical order:

Alien
Exorcist, The
Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer
Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The (Phil Kaufman version)
Jacob's Ladder
Psycho
Rosemary's Baby
Shining, The
Thing, The (John Carpenter)
Untold Story, The
0 Replies

crumbles

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:05 pm
Bugger20 wrote:
was ringu better than the ring?

Depends. I like them....equally. It boils down to:

the original's video is far more offsetting and creepy.

the remake's ending is far more effectively constructed.

Buy both.
0 Replies

crumbles

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:09 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
i must put a word in for Blair Witch also. I watched it alone, on Thanksgiving night, in a large Victorian house - neighbors upstairs and downstairs were gone, on a video. It felt as if I was watching the authentic tape those kids made in that forest. i was climbing the walls - i couldn't sleep with that tape in the apartment, shoved it outside.
I saw the Ring recently, that was quite good, although the ending ruined it somewhat.

Hey, I liked the ending of the Ring remake...

Blair Witch is all about the last 2 minutes...but it's great. Skip the idiot sequel.
0 Replies

crumbles

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2003 07:12 pm
hobitbob wrote:
I LOATHE Stephen King. Dan Simmons did a book that took the "it" premise much furhter with much more shiver-facotor, and has brought the charaters in that book back in most of his subsequent horror genre works.
Summer of Night

Another cheer over here for Dan Simmons....I think Carrion Comfort would be a great mini series...

Simmons hasn't done much of note for awhile though.
0 Replies