Your favourite 'horror' movies?

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 04:40 pm
The reviews (has to be something in here):

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?The+Bride+of+Frankenstein
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:21 pm
I still think the Blair Witch Project is awesome. I know, I know, most people will not agree, but it's my fav.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:25 pm
You know, I still have to see "Blair Witch!"
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 07:57 pm
If I know your tastes, LW (and I think I do), I wouldn't bother.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:02 pm
I haven't seen anything on why the location of "Bride..." was changed from Germany to England, LW. It's like the audience wasn't supposed to notice. Or am I mistaken about this?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:06 pm
i must put a word in for Blair Witch also. I watched it alone, on Thanksgiving night, in a large Victorian house - neighbors upstairs and downstairs were gone, on a video. It felt as if I was watching the authentic tape those kids made in that forest. i was climbing the walls - i couldn't sleep with that tape in the apartment, shoved it outside.
I saw the Ring recently, that was quite good, although the ending ruined it somewhat.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 08:56 pm
"You know, I still have to see "Blair Witch!" , wrote Lightwizard,

Brilliant premise behind that film, terribly done.

Lightwiz, you have saved yourself, so far, from 86 minutes of dizzyness and boredom.

Dagmaraka, if I was alone, on Thanksgiving night, in a large Victorian house, I would get the creeps even with "The Grinch".
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:01 pm
I used to live in an apartment building converted from a Nun's residence. The stairways had crosses carved into the banisters, and there were hard wood floors and high ceilings in every apartment. To add to the atmosphere, my windows faced a faux-gothic church! Thee combination of dark, creepy building, and dark, creepy view was like heaven to a horror watching, dark fantasy reading chap like myself! Very Happy
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:17 pm
Hobitbob, you combined "apartment building" and "nun" in a phrase.
This reminded me of a not good, but chilly film about a former fashion model's cruel destiny (forever preventing the doors from hell to open into our world): "The Sentinel".
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:36 pm
I think I may have seen it! Very Happy
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2003 09:38 pm
Is this the one you were thinking of?the Sentinel
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:29 am
The hand held camera work by Joel Schumacher in
the film "Tigerland" was brilliant. I've been told and the reviews reveal that "Blair Witch" is an amatuer film that impressed a lot of the teeny booper crowd. The first "Halloween" was on a low budget but in the genre, it's a very good film. Can't say the same for the remakes and I know the sequel to "Blair Witch" really got panned by the critics and didn't do much of a box office.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:40 am
I would say that Blair Witch, the original, was on a par with the original Halloween. Low-budget, and annoying to many, given the camera work, but spooky and enigmatic enough to give it a thumbs up, IMO. Do NOT however, watch the sequel. That will send you to hell.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:42 am
Is anyone familiar with an old Candian movie called 'Pin'? It's not really a horror flick, but it is an intriguing and creepy movie nonetheless.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 11:53 am
Yes, I did see "Pin" and it was inventive and very creepy.

eoe -- there are several books on Whale who also directed the black-and-white "Show Boat" which is still the best of the film versions. I don't know if the change of locale really has much siginificance --Whale was English and "Bride" really extrapolated from the source novel. If you read the Ebert review, there's so much sub-text in the film that got by the censors that I have to quietly laugh (or snicker.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 12:10 pm
I almost forgot...I saw 'Who Slew Auntie Roo' last night. Sure, it was supposed to be a retelling of Hansel and Gretel in 1920's England, but the very 1970's production values, and Shelley Winters' OTT performance made it a great creepy lark.
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 04:37 am
Gotta go with "The Exorcist". I can still vaguely picture out Linda Blair's face *shudders*. I was about 9 when I first watched this movie, I absolutely think this is one of the best horror movies out there.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 04:52 am
Exorcist was certainly a true horror flick, so well done it was scary even to an adult. I was also impressed with Alien. This is one sf movie that has so realistic a setting and so frightening a premise (a horrifying nemesis in a self-inclosed space) that it held me spellbound. Several scenes, e.g. the death of the William Hurt character, are frightening enough to stay in my memory forever. And the special effects were fantastic.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 08:25 am
"Alien" is on the big screen again in a Director's Cut and it was John Hurt who had the indigestion. The Giger inspired production design is what really made the film unique -- the alien spaceship was like walking through some gothic haunted mansion as dreamed up in a psychpathic dream.
0 Replies

Bugger20

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 10:17 am
cavfancier wrote:
For pure visual and sonic overload, I must admit having really liked Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses. I thought it completely did the schlock horror genre justice.

booo, HOKC sucked minkeynutz. ZOmbie's gf is hot though
0 Replies