CSI vs. CSI Miami

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 03:21 am
Although the plots are similar and the format is similar, I believe that CSI is far superior to CSI Miami. The reason? Characters. The characters on the original show are real people (more or less), idiosyncratic and identifiable. The characters on the spinoff are ciphers. No personality. Nothing that distinguishes one from the other.

Agree? Disagree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 37,511 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 05:45 am
Roberta- First things first- http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQDeApkX*6Sj5YMDWmQULyjOmmflqs4ptOiiFnwSNvp2HvS5R1rzjkEuD1qQYW6BK4x1abN6aH16yyHWRg8yPcjGuwraq**mymcBSAt8lMUQTfqLTRO0Eg/welcome_001.gif?dc=4675396905979286145

I absolutely agree with you. My husband and I were having the exact same discussion a couple of weeks ago. CSI has almost an ensemble feel. The actors work together as a team, and the team is much greater than the sum of each of the actors. CSI Miami is very bland. So it may be more than the actors. It may have to do with the direction, too.

I understand that William Peterson was pissed off as hell Evil or Very Mad about the new show. I don't blame him. It's funny. The CSI producers were probably atttemoting to emulate Law & Order. The difference is, each L&O has a somewhat different premise, so it is not the same show with a different cast of characters. I feel sorry for the redheaded guy (can't remember his name) in CSI Miami- He's a good actor, and he is really wasted there. He deserved better!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 05:39 pm
Hi Phoenix,

Yes, David Caruso and the other actors are nothing but cogs.

The original CSI is interesting, not just because of the plots but because of the characters.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 06:11 pm
Hi Roberta!!

Good to see you here!!

I only watched CSI:Miami once. I see it on the schedule, but I don't select the show. So, I guess I wasn't too impressed!! However, I watch the original CSI: Crime Scene Investigation just about every week.

I watched last week's show, where the guy was revived from a prison execution. It didn't really end, though!! Maybe it will be continued....

Yes, I agree that the characters are well-developed. We've had glimpses into their personal lives and their quirks and flaws.

I love the 'office' scenes, when they analyse the evidence. Grissom's office always has lots of weird things!!

Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:01 am
Hi PaL,

Yup, the Miami version is dull. I'm guessing that the same plot--the same crime--on the original show would be better.

Will the Miami characters ever come to life? Maybe not. The show is a hit the way it is.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:09 pm
CSI wins the day. Everything stops in this house hold to watch the program. I just love it. I have not seen the Miami version yet.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 01:10 am
I agree with you all. And William Peterson is better than David Caruso any day. For that matter, Marg Helgenberger is better than Kim Delaney and the little blonde chickie who got bumped from West Wing put together... if that makes any sense at all...

And perhaps all that sunshine doesn't blend well with the gory subject matter.

I must confess that I watch both of them, but the original CSI more religiously.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 01:15 am
macsm11- I think that you have hit on something that I have understood subconsciously, but never verbalized. Las Vegas, to me has the "feel" of night, and the underbelly of things. It is a PERFECT town to present the sort of gory goings on that happen in CSI.

When I think of Miami, I think of bright sunshine, swimming, and bikinis!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 08:39 am
I agree with you 100%, Roberta. CSI Miami like watching robots only not as interesting.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 02:57 am
Since the characters on CSI Miami are nondefined--less interesting than robots--the actors don't have much of an opportunity to do any acting. Maybe if someone thinks up personalities for these people, things might improve. I heard that Kim Delaney is leaving the show. Will anyone notice?

Mac--You hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head. Las Vegas is a city of night and the perfect setting for all the gore. Miami is not a good choice for a setting.
0 Replies

Imkulaf

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:01 pm
CSI & CSI Miami
Its hard to believe the same person writes both shows. Watching CSI you really know whos in charge (Grissom). David Caruso is such a loner (he seems to be a natural for that actor type).

I didn't care for CSI Maimi in the beginning, but it has grown on me. Although the players seem disjointed or appear to do their own thing I believe thats what makes the show. I thought Kim Delaney was a good choice too. I was saddened to see her leave.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:14 pm
Yes, Imkulaf CSI: Miami is getting better but I still love my Griss. Has any one else noticed that some of the other shows like Law & Order are picking up on the criminalist point of view?

And Welcome to A2k Imkulaf.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:25 am
Imkulaf, Welcome to a2k! Does the same person write both shows? You couldn't tell by watching.

Joanne, There's forensic stuff everywhere you look--Court TV, the Learning Channel, Discovery, A&E. I wonder if criminals are getting helpful tips from all these shows.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:42 am
Roberta I sure hope not but I would suppose it is possible. I prefer to think that the criminal mind is not that smart and that most murders are crimes involving extreme rage even when committed in the course of another criminal activity. And that the perp does not have the time or the ability to take special precautions. I think I can say that the results, the solving and bringing to justice of a criminal, no matter how good the forensic investigation does not happen that often in murder cases. That there are still thousands of homicides not solved and not tried is a fact. I forget the stats on this but the number of victims where there is no trial or conviction is very high much higher than solved cases.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 06:25 am
My first choice is CSI Miami. I'm learning some Spanish from watching this show. Cool
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 12:49 pm
Joanne, Most murders are commited in the heat of the moment. But some are planned and plotted. It's those who do the planning and plotting that I think might benefit from all the info on tv.

New Haven, Como esta? Porque le gusta CSI Miami? No es el show mejor. Se hablan espanol. Punto.
0 Replies

SweetBillyP

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 01:01 pm
Here is just my opinion on the topic Laughing

CSI: Maimi sucks!!! The Billy's cast is so much better than that Prema Donna Caruso's cast. Harsh but true!!

Why should you watch a show when you've all ready seen the same thing done by a better cast?

CSI: ROCKS!!!

Just my opinion!!! Laughing
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 01:06 pm
Welcome, SweetBilly - I completely agree with you about CSI. Have fun here at A2K!
0 Replies

SweetBillyP

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 01:12 pm
Here is just my opinion on the topic Very Happy

CSI: Miami sucks!!! Billy's cast is so much better than that Prema Donna Caruso's. Harsh but true!

Why should the people that have watched CSI: since the beginning waste there time watching something that they've all ready seen done by a better cast?

Fact is CSI: will always be better than there want to twin CSI: Miami!!!

Just because Caruso fell flat on his face after he left NYPD Blue to launch his movie career doesn't mean that Billy has to pick him up and give him his own show which really belongs to Billy!!!

Just a quick question if CSI: is on at 9:00 why is CSI: Miami on at 10:00?
Just wondering!!!

Exclamation
0 Replies

SweetBillyP

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 01:14 pm
Thanks for the Welcome!

I love the X-Files. (Not as much as CSI though)
0 Replies