What's YOUR Overriding Political Issue in the Next Election?

cjhsa

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:20 pm
eductaion - that right there is funny!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 03:24 pm
slipmat, The very rich will never get "hurt." Their net assets can never be spent in many lifetimes, even if they give most of it away to charity.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 10:24 pm
Energy independance, neighborhood work sites, and an end to 70% of the commuting.

End of the "War on Drugs(TM)" and the 70% of urban crime which would evaporate along with it.

A voters' bill of rigthts of some sort, most importantly being runoff elections and some ironclad guarantee against voting fraud.

Sealing of the border with Mexico and a rational immigration policy.

A national plebescite vote of some sort on abortion and the elimination of that issue from American politics for all time.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 11:44 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I hope anybody reaching the office doesn't spend any time on "gun crimes", since there isn't any such thing.

Does L.A know this?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:17 am
gungasnake wrote:
Energy independance, neighborhood work sites, and an end to 70% of the commuting.

End of the "War on Drugs(TM)" and the 70% of urban crime which would evaporate along with it.

A voters' bill of rigthts of some sort, most importantly being runoff elections and some ironclad guarantee against voting fraud.

Sealing of the border with Mexico and a rational immigration policy.

A national plebescite vote of some sort on abortion and the elimination of that issue from American politics for all time.

This is without a doubt your finest post ever. Extremely sensible ideas!!!

Cheers and kudos

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 10:22 am
I second what Cyclo said; good post.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 12:40 pm
Do you think that global warming could be an issue? I just noticed that the Reps are on the side that opposes congress setting tighter auto mileage standards.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 01:01 pm
Advocate, There are different ways to reduce the use of gas; cut the speed limits. If the government should ever entertain establishing minimum mileage requirements, it should be based on the type of vehicle. Some mobile homes get about 7 mpg; the government can add a gas guzzler tax on them similar to some sports cars with very low mileage.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 04:25 pm
I don't know how congress would do it, do you? In any event, do you think this could be a significant issue in the coming election. Many people I meet, cutting across party lines, are concerned about the environment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 04:34 pm
I'd like to see Obama talk about this issue, and do something about it if he's elected. We're just not sure how much support he'll get from congress.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 05:16 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
There is a place for federal power (foreign affairs and the military to name two places) but if government is to intrude upon our lives (yours and mine), the closer it is to the influence of our individual votes the better.

I agree.

Quote:
The logical, and actual, extension of Liberal elitism is to not only scorn local government but to bypass the feds and seek an advancement of their ideals through the courts.

Perhaps they feel, rightly or wrongly, that both local and federal governments are inaccessible to the people they serve.

Perhaps, but I think not.

They have the same chance and degree of accessibility as anyone. There are very liberal local governments, and there are very conservative local governments. A liberal may or may not have much access to the latter, but certainly no more and no less than a conservative to the former. If either want to live in a community that reflects their personal values they can recruit heavily or move. They can, of course, also choose to hold themselves apart from their community and live their personal values within their homestead.

At the point where the community, left or right, intrudes upon the homestead is the point where the Courts should become involved. No one should be allowed to torture their children with their homestead, but they should be able to have sex, within that homestead, with whatever competent adult may agree to embrace them.

There are loads of Liberal Senators and Representatives at the federal level who represent the interests of Liberal constituents. This is access.

If these representatives cannot carry the political day for a given Liberal cause, it is not demonstrative of a lack of access.

Resorting to the Courts for what cannot be achieved in the legislature is sometime required but more often self-absorbed, un-democratic pique.

Should Bush have the opportunity to appoint one more SC justice, a conservative majority will be assured for decades to come. Should Liberals ever regain control of the other two branches, we can probably expect conservatives to avail themselves of the Court's power, but won't the Liberals howl?

Frankly, I do believe conservatives will rely on the SC less than liberals, but some will. Sometimes they will be justified but more often it will be an expression of self-absorbed, un-democratic pique.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 06:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'd like to see Obama talk about this issue

c.i., I typed <Obama mileage> into Google and look what I found as the second hit:

Obama Criticizes Automakers on Fuel Economy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:22 pm
nimh, Your link had another link to take us to the NYTimes article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/us/politics/08obama.html?ex=1182657600&en=66bc8d64f62185e6&ei=5070
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 07:27 pm
I should have known Obama was steps ahead of me on this issue. His proposal sounds doable; but in order to save the US auto makers, we need to have universal health insurance to cut the cost of Detroit auto makers that includes health benefits for current and past autoworkers.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2007 08:27 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

.....Extremely sensible ideas!!!

Cheers and kudos

Cycloptichorn

The one idea which is new there is the idea of neighborhood work sites. The basic idea is that in most metro areas, there probably cannot be more than 20% of the working public which needs to be in one physical place five days a week. Everybody else could be working from neighborhood work sites four of those five days, and that would empty our roads and highways. This could actually be done in a few months time and we could tell OPEC to screw off. I.e. start using electrons instead of all the oil and rubber.
0 Replies