What's YOUR Overriding Political Issue in the Next Election?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 04:10 pm
Advocate, Only some things should be the responsibility of the federal government such as security, infrastructure, health and safety, military, and fraud prevention.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:28 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
nimh wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If, in practice, it is unlikely that a law abiding immigrant from Germany will not be detained as an enemy combatant in some pen in Cuba, than the Law is pretty effective.

A telling slip of the tongue? Laughing

Huh?

I realize that I run the risk of revealing the low grade of my intelligence by not understanding the wry commentary of Nimh, but then I don't think that Nimh's observations and opinions are one quarter of the quality he and his syncophants believe them to be. Cool

I think he was referring to the double negative. I didn't see it at first read either.

Yup..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:30 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
nimh and dys, There has always been democrats voting with republicans that in my opinion has not helped our soldiers in Iraq.

So when you say, "the dems are a shameful lot playing politics with the lives of our soldiers", you are in fact talking about the rather small minority of Dems who voted with the Reps? Or am I misunderstanding what vote you're talking about?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 07:36 pm
Yes, those democrats voting with the republicans when there should be zero - as when republicans had control of congress, they are not listening to the American People. I speak from total frustration.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 08:35 pm
The American "people" don't include a bunch of left wingnuts from the bay area - deal with it. The problem is, the stupid people change their votes all the time. Swing voters are idiots - they don't understand.

We need to kill islamic militants - as fast as possible. We need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil by drilling in ANWAR. We need to stand up for all those who fought and died for us. But some just want to give it all away...

America doesn't want to be second class. We don't want to buckle under after all our hard work. We don't want to be a bunch of pacifist pussies... Sad....like c.i... who thinks that is what America is about.... It ain't dude... take it from someone who built nukes... your little $1.5M house in Cupertino would be worth about $2 in your homeland... Buck up and smell the roses.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:12 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
nimh wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
If, in practice, it is unlikely that a law abiding immigrant from Germany will not be detained as an enemy combatant in some pen in Cuba, than the Law is pretty effective.

A telling slip of the tongue? Laughing

Huh?

I realize that I run the risk of revealing the low grade of my intelligence by not understanding the wry commentary of Nimh, but then I don't think that Nimh's observations and opinions are one quarter of the quality he and his syncophants believe them to be. Cool

I think he was referring to the double negative. I didn't see it at first read either.

If it's there, it's there. Score a point for Nimh.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:43 pm
cjhsa wrote:
The American "people" don't include a bunch of left wingnuts from the bay area - deal with it. The problem is, the stupid people change their votes all the time. Swing voters are idiots - they don't understand.

We need to kill islamic militants - as fast as possible. We need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil by drilling in ANWAR. We need to stand up for all those who fought and died for us. But some just want to give it all away...

America doesn't want to be second class. We don't want to buckle under after all our hard work. We don't want to be a bunch of pacifist pussies... Sad....like c.i... who thinks that is what America is about.... It ain't dude... take it from someone who built nukes... your little $1.5M house in Cupertino would be worth about $2 in your homeland... Buck up and smell the roses.

Pithy, but accurate.

The Left's whining rhetoric has a disturbingly self-destructive nature to it, but what is even more noxious about it is the insincerity of that self-loathing.

As much as I might disagree with his position, I could respect someone who believed America to be Sodom and deserving of annihilation_--- if he was willing to go down with the ship as a sinner within a sinning nation.

Of course, that is almost never the case (and certainly not for any of our A2K friends on The Left).

It is similar to the insincerity of anti-war loudmouths. War sucks, we all know that. Violence is horrible, we all know that too. Unless someone is willing to sacrifice his life and liberty AND the lives and liberty of his loved ones to reject and avoid violence, his pacifism is a sham and it's really all about personal politics, not ideals.

There is an unfortunate segment of our society that finds it easy and greatly satisfying to focus on the negative and bitch like hell. It's not limited to politics. These nattering nabobs of negativity emerge in every sphere of society. You meet them on the job, on your sports team, in your club or organization, and in your church. They are a species of humanity. Somehow they believe that their ability to focus on the negative makes them superior to we yahoos who would prefer to see the glass half full.

This is not a Disneykin ethos, although the nabobs would suggest otherwise. Life is a complex mix of the good and the bad. It doesn't take any superior degree of insight to perceive the bad, but it does take a sad hollowness of spirit to fixate upon it.

There is much to find fault with about America. Compare this country to some impossible Utopia and it falls far short. Compare it to other nations in the current and past world and it shines.

I would prefer to think that these folks are simply perfectionists, but sadly this is not the case. They are too willing to accept the imperfection of any number of individuals and nations which somehow fit into the narrow stricture of their world view as victims.

In reality, they are the most judgmental among us while professing to despise judgmentalism. In reality they are the true misanthropes among us while professing some sort of superior regard for Mankind. In reality they are the most narrow minded while professing to embrace free thought. In reality they are the most hypocritical among us while they seethe and fume at what they perceive to be hypocrisy.

They would be merely pathetic if their numbers were not so great as to afford them political power. Instead they are a danger. They are the Grima Wormtongues of our present world.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:00 pm
aidan wrote:
Finn wrote:

Quote:
You need not do any research. Of course this is the case. However how did Leadbelly, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Howlin Wolf, et al achieve their musical prominence? It certainly wasn't on the basis of public funding.

Yes, and they all achieved their musical prominence in a different time, when there weren't all the distractions (especially negative ones) available for young people that there are now. In the case of musicians like these, the music chose them, they didn't choose the music- it was something they were compelled to spend their lives doing. I recognize that, and I recognize that those types of talents are surely the exception rather than the rule- that's not at issue in my mind.

No negative distractions? How about the lynching of their cousins or fathers? The music chose them? Poetic I suppose, but actually nonsense. Each and everyone of these individuals made an absolutely concious decision and application of remarkable will to choose music.

Quote:
True enough, but the motivation wil very rarely be a 4th grade music teacher.

The motivation is the music and to belong to something and to have something that belongs to you. That's what a lot of these kids don't have and never experience. Why not try to help them do that?

I'm all for helping them, but I don't think throwing money at the issue will be of much help and it will certainly hurt those of us that have to provide the cash.

Quote:
Yes, being a member of the school band is a good thing. It is much better than being a member of the school gangs. More money, however, will not advance this dynamic. Better music teachers may, but not more money. There are a rare few schools where someone interested in playing in the school band cannot because of money. School band members do not need anywhere near the money spent on school atheletics. I won't argue that too much money is being spent on school atheletics, but it doesn't follow that some of this money diverted to music would make a difference.

I never said a word against funding sports. That was an implication that Miller made. I believe sports in schools save lives too- for the same reasons I put forth as per music.

Quote:
If there is an American High School out there that spends so much on sports that they cannot afford renting an instrument for a poor kid who wants to play, I am with you my brother!.

Then you're with me- because they aren't few and far between. I guess if a kid shows unusual talent, the people in the know might launch a campaign to provide that kid with an instrument. But how many kids never get to realize they have a talent because of lack of access in the first place?

Nonsense. This is no longer a nation where the "poor" are ignored. If a school has a band, I guarantee you they have a program to provide intruments to those that cannot afford them. It may make you feel like a crusader to argue that this isn't the case and should be, but reality is that it is in the vast majority of our schools. If there is anywhere in America where the "poor" receive focused attention it is in our public school systems. Whether or not this a good thing it is reality.

Quote:
You have a foolish regard for the spending of money.

Actually, I'm a very frugal person. I'm more interested in the attitudes represented by how money is spent than the money itself. But yeah, if there's a fund of money and it could go for this or that- and we've been spending it on this and it aint working- I say let's try spending it on that...I think that's just common sense.

Quote:
The world and the nation will NEVER make policy decision based on twenty people, young or old. To suggest that they might or should reveals a hardcore naievity that is only too common.

I think it would be more like twenty or twenty-five kids PER school system, myself. But whatever- you're probably right- or at least most people would probably agree with you. That's why things will probably never change all that much.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:13 pm
Advocate wrote:
In some important ways, a powerful central government is more important than ever. For instance, the biggest threat to our country now is terrorism. Also, we are getting dangerous food and other products from abroad. Drug manufacturers are more than willing to peddle dangerous products (e.g., Celebrex) to the public. Children in SC and other states who score well in state tests would flunk in, say, Massachusetts. Only a strong central government can take on these and other important problems.

State and local governments are rife with corruption, maladministration, and waste, much more so than the federal government despite the lurid publicity involving Abramoff, et al.

BTW, Thompson is building a platform on a small federal government.

This is a classic expression of the Liberal mindset: The People cannot truly be trusted. We need to centralize decision making in the hands of an elite Mandarin class.

The failings of local government you cite are not unrealistic. What is unrealistic is to think they do not exist, in one form or another, at the federal level.

There is a place for federal power (foreign affairs and the military to name two places) but if government is to intrude upon our lives (yours and mine), the closer it is to the influence of our individual votes the better.

The sad truth, however, is that most Americans only vote, if they vote at all, in federal elections. Not a reason to impower the central government however.

By the way, when did the CENTRAL GOVERNMENT cease to be a bogeyman to the Left - When FDR ran the country?

The logical, and actual, extension of Liberal elitism is to not only scorn local government but to bypass the feds and seek an advancement of their ideals through the courts.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:14 pm
"Grima Wormtongues"! What an image.

cjhsa,

Nope, I think you're wrong in excluding the "left wingnuts from the bay area" from inclusion in the "American People". We are of all sorts. dim-wits and geniuses, foolish University Dons and wise illiterates; cynics, idealists, fanatics, loafers, workaholics, egotists, and the humble. Americans no more a homogeneous set, than any other similar population. To be an American all one has to do is have the good fortune to be born within our borders, or become naturalized citizens. That doesn't make anyone inherently good or bad.

The nation IS faced with a serious threat by fanatical religious zealots who hope to impose a despotic theocracy over all mankind. They may succeed for awhile, but in the end Western Civilization will prevail. The question is how to insure the victory of humanism, of impartial justice, and the primacy of individual liberty. We are convinced that non-engagement with the Radical Islamic Movement will entail more blood, suffering and destruction than seeking them out wherever they may be and destroying them. Every small success they claim encourages more and wider attacks on innocent people. We are no longer secured by vast distances, and the weapons available today makes it possible for a single individual or small operational unit to kill thousands and shake mighty economies to bits.

Americans are just as likely to bury their heads in the sand in the vain hope that they become invisible. We are vulnerable by our openess, and considered weak because of our concern over the deaths of people far from our shores. We are suckers to be flim-flammed by con men preying on our charity and desire to "do good".

No, I'm afraid that the Left are all too American. We will survive them ... again as we have so many times in the past. In the meantime, we should all of us remain confident in our system of government, and the values that have made us a Great Power. Americans can innovate, can persevere no matter how difficult things might seem, can rise to the occasion and win. We have to keep the faith in ourselves and our Constitution. We aren't perfect, and only a fool would expect that of us.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 11:17 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Advocate, Only some things should be the responsibility of the federal government such as security, infrastructure, health and safety, military, and fraud prevention.

CI, when did you have your Conservative epiphany?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 06:10 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
There is a place for federal power (foreign affairs and the military to name two places) but if government is to intrude upon our lives (yours and mine), the closer it is to the influence of our individual votes the better.

I agree.

Quote:
The logical, and actual, extension of Liberal elitism is to not only scorn local government but to bypass the feds and seek an advancement of their ideals through the courts.

Perhaps they feel, rightly or wrongly, that both local and federal governments are inaccessible to the people they serve.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 10:17 am
FinndAbuz: CI, when did you have your Conservative epiphany?

To make a long story short, I was once registered as a "conservative," because I believe in small government, less government intrusion into our lives, fiscal conservatism, and self-sufficiency. But I also believe in helping those who have difficulty helping themselves such as the elderly, the handicapped, and those families barely able to survive. I strongly believe in universal health insurance for all Americans.

I changed my political affiliation when the conservative party showed signs it was more interested in personal wealth over humanity.

I'm now registered as an independent, and will vote for candidates I believe best fits my subjective values.

Bush ain't no conservative. He talks about the "tax and spend democrats," but Bush is worse because he's a "cut tax and spend" republican.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 10:38 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Bush ain't no conservative.

Off to buy a lottery ticket - I agree with ci.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:21 pm
You got it wrong about Bush. He is a BORROW and spend conservative.

Some day, the piper will have to be paid.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:25 pm
You conservatives remind me of a Rodney Dangerfield statement. He said he once went to a massage parlor and was told that it was self-service.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 02:20 pm
Bloomberg has about $500 million to invest in his bid, should he make one, for the presidency of the US.

Why would any candidate need that amount of money to run for president?

Does such a man, running for President truly represent the average American in the US, today?
0 Replies

slipmatwax

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:13 pm
you guys in the US are in for a rough ride. You'll need to address the war in Afghanistan, the war in Iraq (by then the war in Iran), national debt, deficit spending, the US currency, drought, social security, un-employment, immigration, global warming, energy consumption, eductaion, poverty, gun crimes, hate mongering, religion...oh and healthcare.

You mega-rich people will even hurt
0 Replies

slipmatwax

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:14 pm
Michael Bloomberg should give $100 million to Ron Paul's campaign and save himself the expense of running himself
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2007 02:19 pm
I hope anybody reaching the office doesn't spend any time on "gun crimes", since there isn't any such thing.
0 Replies