Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 07:40 am
patiodog wrote:
What street were you on, Gautam?

It was definately not Old Compton Street Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 04:07 pm
Turner_727 wrote:
lol should be punishable by death. I hate that 'slang'.

lol is a cool bit of slang especially for dutchmen, because in dutch, "lol" is actually a word - and it means "fun", as in, having fun (lol hebben).

i always found lmao a little disconcerting, tho - never could bring myself to use that much. and rotflmao - well, i hardly ever really laugh out loud that much, and i'm not fond of hyperbole. lol will do nicely, thank you very much. ;-)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:48 pm
rotflmao, or whatever it is, always makes me think of a) Rolfing, a therapeutic regime for screaming your angsts away - or do I mix that up with the one for people walking over your back? and b) ralphing, in the US a term for throwing up stomach contents. I haven't used lol yet, that I remember, but have broken down and used smilies once in a while.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 07:08 pm
the "c" word is a big no no but I love it if used sparingly and only to show the most contempt....and to berate...used sparingly and properly it just rolls off the tongue like a samaurai sword.......and to the same effect
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 07:37 pm
The use of n word in the community is not new. My ex was (is) a writer who grew up as a white boy in changing territory, but the territory changed fast and his parents stayed, long, long after a general sort of clearout. They lived a block or so from the center of two riots, or civil unrests - however you think of them, troubles. He was interested in writing (they were extremely poor, but he and his brother got full scholarships to a university which they rode their bikes to, always with no lights) and he wrote at an early age a play that had characters say that word, which was appropriate in context. But not from him, since he was clearly other... but then he wasn't other as much as was assumed.

I know my ex wasn't racist. But then there was whatshisname, the police person in the simpson trial; I gather he used the n word in some writing and there was argument if he personally meant it. I don't know if he did or didn't. I think maybe 60(++)/40(---) he did, but that might have been par for the course for police personnel. I remember coming to eventual strong conclusions against him, Mark Fuhrman, that's the name, but I am not absolutely positive about all that. On the other hand, at some point I just stopped reading about that situation. The situation itself is some kind of negative phantasmagoria about race relations in one of the most racemixed places on the planet.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 11:43 am
(rolfing, as i understand it, is essentially a deep tissue massage focusing efforts at the ends of the muscles -- basically tenderizes you so that everything can be fluid and settle down to its proper position. the only screaming therapy i know of is est, but i'm sure there are many others: being a knicks fan, for instance.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:51 pm
It's not EST that I am thinking of. Oh well, I will remember it three weeks from now and scream the name.
0 Replies