words you should NEVER use....

51Days

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 03:44 am
Well
Hello!

Well, uhm, you know,...it's like...er...

You shouldn't, ought not to, are not to use such words. Question

AIN'T YA?

I'm a little bit confused that some people understand the use of 'should' pedantic, because it is often used in German - maybe we're pedantic people (well, that makes me think) Confused :wink:

My question is:

IF I SAID (as a not English mother tongue speaker)

'I think it's f*****g interesting to read about this' Embarrassed

in a conversation or using such extremely informal 'filler words' which prove I'm immature or bad in behavior'

WOULD THIS ANNOY OR SOMEHOW UPSET YOU, AND, WOULD IT HAVE A POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE MEANING TO YOU??? (I guess it will affect you negatively - I'm quite sure)

I think it depends on the situation and the context the f* words are used!
Isn't it LIKE that?

Another thing: how strict is censorship of four letter words handled in this forum? Not that I dared to behave rude...don't worry Rolling Eyes

Don't know if I'm still at the original topic, but...would be of interest to me to read your comments.

Best Regards
Rainer
aka
51Days
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 04:51 am
Hiya 51, There's nothing wrong with the word should, just so long as you use to say what you should or shouldn't do. I'm not keen on being told what I should or shouldn't do--unless I ask for advice. Then you can should me all you want.

You said:

My question is:

IF I SAID (as a not English mother tongue speaker)

'I think it's f*****g interesting to read about this'

in a conversation or using such extremely informal 'filler words' which prove I'm immature or bad in behavior'

WOULD THIS ANNOY OR SOMEHOW UPSET YOU, AND, WOULD IT HAVE A POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE MEANING TO YOU??? (I guess it will affect you negatively - I'm quite sure

I think that each of us reacts differently to the F word, so it's impossible to give you a general answer. As for the meaning, there isn't really much meaning in the context you provide. It's just a gratuitous use of the word and serves no purpose except possibly as emphasis.

I think it depends on the situation and the context the f* words are used!
Isn't it LIKE that?

This is the answer to your next question. It all depends on context. There is no ban against the use of the F word and other similar kinds of words, but context is everything.

Another thing: how strict is censorship of four letter words handled in this forum? Not that I dared to behave rude...don't worry

Don't know if I'm still at the original topic, but...would be of interest to me to read your comments.

You're close enough to the topic to be relevant. Not to worry. Smile
0 Replies

51Days

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 11:35 am
Hi,

again @Roberta :wink:

Great answer....again it's like I thought....

avoiding f* words is the best way not to cause any discontent...

I SHOULD/AM TO/OUGHT TO always bear that in mind.

So many questions to ask...I'm still 'surfing' through the large variety of topics in this forum. It's great!!!!! Gotta love it! Very Happy

Bye...best regards
Rainer
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 11:47 am
Hi 51, I'm glad you like this forum. Happy hunting.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2003 11:49 am
If the N word shouldn't be used then rappers would be out of a job.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 05:51 pm
One thing that kinda bugs me is when some people add the letter "T" to the end of words as if it belongs there. I don't think I've seen "reasont", or "cousint", ect in the English dictionary, but what do I know.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 06:24 pm
Synergy. I try to avoid ever saying synergy. And though I've failed on that one once upon a while, I've never said something was a "win-win situation".

Lots more where those two came from.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 06:50 pm

I recently suggested to a poster on a political thread that she consider not using the word "never" in the discussion as, in typical political discussions, it conveys a definitive, closed, dismissive, borderline arrogant tone. She refused and I left the thread.

"Never" is a word that is rarely applicable, don't you think ?

(Notice I said "rarely", not "never".
Very Happy
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:12 pm
So right, kerver. That's hillbilly. I think it's an attempt to make something other than a verb show past tense, like "I oncet went to New York City and brung the whole family."
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:42 pm
lol...yeah...those crazy hillbilly's.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 12:17 pm
I knew a little girl who said "You're not supposed to say cheezeits". Smile
0 Replies

Victoria99

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 09:17 pm
Should/Ought & Want ToDo
I never feel really comfortable when someone tells me what I want to do - as in, "What you want to do is read the book about xxxx". I would prefer to be told, "I would recommend reading the book about xxxx".

Confused

Victoria99
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 01:10 am
Should is a word that must be used sparingly, at least around me, at this time...in the context of something I should accomplish.

However, in use in the subjunctive (?? subjunctive, always a puzzlement, no matter how many times I hear about it, it seems, though I always pass the tests) "If he should clean out the parlour, I would faint." That sentence works for me.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 10:03 am
I don't like it when people say 'I could care less'

they are presumably aiming to convey that they don't care at all

so the correct phrase is ' I couldn't care less' meaning they are so unconcerned about it that it isn't possible to be less concerned.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 02:40 pm
I hate the word "utilize" it was introduced in business jargon, and spread like disease. Now it's infesting the academic world ack! get it off get it off!
It has gone from being a fancified way to say "use" to mean "use effectively" but the word annoys me, rubs me the wrong way. People sound like they're trying too hard when they use it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 07:08 pm
HEH

Accused - of crimes against the English language

Quote:
He is known for his sharp questioning of evasive politicians on Radio 4's Today show. But now John Humphrys has castigated businessmen - for crimes against the English language.

Writing the introduction to a book on plain English, Mr Humphrys attacks frequent linguistic abuses and names business people as "the real villains". Management speak has invaded our lives, like a loathsome serpent "choking the life out of our language", Mr Humphrys says in Between You and I, A Little Book of Bad English, written by James Cochrane.

His own pet hate is the way nouns, such as "impact", are used as verbs. "'Fast track' was bad enough when it was overused as a noun. It is unspeakable as a verb," he says. He also condemns phrases such as "human resources" for eroding effective communication.

"It is an outrage that the phrase 'human resources' was not strangled at birth. A moment's thought tells you that 'resources' are exploited, used up, squeezed for every last drop of value and then replaced. Are we really meant to regard human beings in that light?" he fumes.

Source: The Independent, 20/9 2003
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 10:21 pm
Good post, nimh. I agree with everything in Mr. Humphrys' critique, particularly the inane change from 'personnel' to 'human resources' and the verbalization of nouns. In my youth (back when flocks of pterodacyls blackened the sky), people raised their children, they didn't 'parent.' That word was strictly a noun. And you didn't 'access' things. You gained access to them.

But, in the context of the original question, I can't say I would never use some of these new-fangled expressions. They may grate on my sensitive ears, but I am not the ultimate authority on useage. A language is a living thing and it changes over time. We may rant against it, but that isn't going to slow it down. What was totally unacceptable 20 or 30 years ago might be commonly accepted practice today.

As for the N word, I would personally never use it. But, as someone has pointed out, it is rampant in rap and its meaning has changed considerably over the past few decades. In the past, it was always an insult. No exceptions. Today it is in common use among black people to mean no more than 'friend' or 'homey.'
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:35 am
"paradigm shift".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:54 am
I vote for 'nucular' and 'aluminium'. It's 'nuclear' and 'aluminum' already. Also, it's 'Arctic', not 'Artic'. nimh, nice post Laughing You should join us here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11762&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 11:55 am
Oh yeah, 'have any spare change', as if I can't use it...
0 Replies