words you should NEVER use....

pyko

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:22 am
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone has any particular words they feel should never(well, avoided at all costs) be used.

eg. I remember my year 6 teacher saying..."You should never use the word 'get', instead use words like, understand, receive etc."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,301 • Replies: 66
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:30 am
This is a tough one, Boss. There are certain locutions which may make one look ignorant, or uncultured, but it's hard to think of them off the top of my head. I'll try to think about this and get back to you.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 06:44 am
Wow, tough question...there is the issue of basic clarity, and also an issue regarding common vernacular, and making yourself understood in a non-academic situation....different strokes for different folks, I say, but I'll think about it. I will check in later.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:05 am
The word ain't comes to mind.

Tell that teacher to get real! Or get a clue! Very Happy Although I agree about not using get to mean that one understands something.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:08 am
I don't get it! Laughing To me, I could understand not using the word "get" in a formal speech, or an academic paper, but not in casual conversation?

Teach sounds a bit anal retentive to me!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:14 am
Ah, the word "go" as a substitute for "say", as in:

So, I go, like, "Whazzup, dude?" and then the dude goes, like, "Nothin'." and then Amy went, uh, "You're a bunch of losers!"

Change to:

I said, "Whazzup, dude?" and he replied, "Nothin'." Then Amy said, "You're a bunch of losers!"

Also, there's the problem of like and uh (and similar words) used as fillers. Everyone uses fillers, the problem is when the filler is over-used, as is shown above. There's nothing wrong with a pause, e. g. not speaking, rather than a filler word such as "like", "uh", "um", "er" or "yeah". "Like" makes you sound very teenaged (even if you are a teenager, it's still not a good idea if you're trying to sound mature). The others, for the most part, just sound like you can't think quickly. There's nothing wrong with pausing to think, of course - you just don't need to provide a soundtrack to your musings.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:19 am
'Ociffer', never good when you get pulled over.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:24 am
The "f" word, in all its aspects, is peppered throughout the conversations of many teenagers. It adds nothing to the conversation, and makes the speaker sound not only immature, but gross and uncouth.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:25 am
Never? I can't think of one. At some point, every word has its day. Even ain't. However, there are some expressions that should never be used. Where something is at. Waiting on when waiting or waiting for should be used. (I'm waiting on that response.) I'm sure more will occur to me as the day wears on.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:28 am
Phoenix, I happen to be a great admirer of the F word. However, when it's overused, it loses its impact.

Speaking of words that we refer to by letter, I have to take back what I said above. The N word and other similar nastinesses should never be used.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:29 am
Yes, good point, Roberta.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:31 am
Roberta- I agree. The "f" word, and other expletives, is like pepper. A little spices up a dish, or a conversation. A lot ruins them.

Also, what about those people who insert "you know" in every other sentence. Drives me nuts!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:40 am
Irregardless.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 08:00 am
But getting back to words like "get."

One editing book on writing more precisely suggests that the following words be changed for clarity: all forms of the verbs "to be," "to make," "to have," "to do."

These common verbs now possess so many meanings that using specific words in their place facilitates understanding, usually more concisely.

Ex:

"These verbs are common and now have so many meanings that having specific words in their place can make understanding easier, usually more concisely."
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 08:26 am
I hate it when I hear "stop, no, and don't."
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 08:57 am
Them's fightin' words!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:27 am
Quote:
I hate it when I hear "stop, no, and don't."

And the punchline... "They're always telling me, 'No, don't stop!'"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 09:30 am
I attempt to avoid using the word "should" in my conversations. It is so damn pedantic!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:14 am
Have you "should" on yourself, today?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:16 am
I agree. You should not use that word.
0 Replies