Should we move in together? Might it be a mistake?

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:19 pm
Hello-

This is my first post here. I joined the group because it seems like such a unique place to get some thoughtful answers to some of life's dilemmas.

I am sorry this is so terribly long-I just want to include all the details that seem important. They might seem a little silly. I think I am a woman who never really grew up when it comes to intimate relationships-or a hormonal menopausal witch? Or am I ignoring a bunch of red flags? I truly don't know and vacillate all the time.

I am a 49 year old woman, never married, and never lived with anyone. I have had a string of relationships with men that have not worked out over the years. I have often wanted the companionship and closeness that come with having a significant other. I have an active social life, have some good friends, and am financially am doing fine-not well off but I own my very small house and have a small inheritance. I work from home. I drive an older car, don't buy a lot of extravagent things, but love my house that is in a very competitive and expensive area in New Jersey. My house is proof to me that I have achieved something tangible and I've worked hard for it. I was lucky in real estate boom from the late 90s and have used common sense in my life.

I finally met a man on the internet last February. We hit it off so well, we have so much in common, our outlook on life is similar, he is creative, attractive, and intelligent. We have a great physical relationship and enjoy many things together. I have a house full of 5 rescued animals and he puts up with all their noise and demands.

He has a teenaged son from a previous marriage and pays sizable child support for his income as a teacher. His son spends ever other weekend with him. He supplements his income with another job. So he doesn't have much extra income.

After ten weeks he began pressing me to move in with me. His job is a 60 mile commute from my house. It is about a 40 minute commute from his apartment. He spends 2 hours a day commuting. He didn't like going to his apartment, getting his stuff, living in two places, feeling neither here nor there. He doesn't like to be alone and began spending every night with me from about 4 weeks into the relationship. So his commute was longer because he chooses to be with me at my house. He is very tired much of the time and I believe he has insomnia. He doesn't seem to have any close friends. Sometimes his social skills are a little lacking, he is self absorbed, shy, and doesn't seem to know how to get out of himself when dealing with some people. He has mildly embarrassed me a few times.But alone with me he is funny and charming. No one is perfect.

I am going to spend about 8000 dollars to fix up my basement and turn it into an extra finished room so he can have some space and so his son can have a proper place to stay on weekends. I want to keep my property mine and not mix $ with him on my property. It will improve the value of the house a little and will make life better having some more space. I am ok with this decision. I don't want to mix $ with him.

At first I welcomed knowing someone loved me so much that they would want to be with me so much. Now I am feeling a little too "joined at the hip." He wants to do everything with me, go everywhere with me. I truly feel that I don't enjoy the privacy I once had. Is this what marriage is like?
I wonder if I don't have the ability to give up my independence and am starting to get bitchy. Little things he does really annoy me. He is always falling asleep when we go out to movies and when we are at home watching tv. He is exhausted because of his insomnia and because he chooses to spend all his time here. He hates tv, I like it, why he watches it with me I don't know-it is as though he will do anything just to be with me. Which I love and hate at the same time. Partly it is because my house is so small, there is nowhere else for him to go. His computer and mixing equipment are at his apartment.

I have welcomed the companionship but found myself complaining to my friends that he was pressuring me too much to move in with me and I told him to back off. He did. He has helped me with some minor electrical stuff around my house and some yard work, we pay for groceries together, we share gas and driving. I realized how much I liked having a man around my life. So
I told him it was ok for him to move in in the fall. ( He had to renew his lease with his landlord for June.) He wasn't sure how to tell his landlord that he would be moving in the fall-since his lease is a contract, so he just told her the truth and he was direct with her about his plans. She was ok with it. I had told him that only if his landlord gave him a hard time about the lease that he could move in here, but that I would prefer he wait until fall so i could set up the basement for him and his son. So what did he tell his landlord? That she could rent the apartment in July, and that he could move move in here in July...Big fight ensued, he apologized, back to fall plans.

So this past weekend, we spent together, had fun, then all of a sudden last night we had a big fight. I was building some shelves in my studio, he was getting ready for bed but was still up so I thought it would be ok with the noise, I then went into the bedroom and asked him if he was having qualms about moving in, was I too neurotic, he said "anything is better than living with his ex wife" and that he was worried I wouldn't respect his boundaries, I was so mad that he made that comment about his ex wife to me. I slept on the couch. He apologized saying he was sorry I took offense, not that what he said was a little rude. Little evasions, little half truths he makes bother me. He says he loves me and that I mean everyting to him, and I feel the same about him-except when I am so annoyed by him.

I asked him not to come over tonight and this has really upset him, we fight over little stupid things, he just annoys me so much sometimes. I am worried we won't get along if he moves in, that it's too soon in our relationship, that he is too much in my face. His reassurances that when he gets his computer here and has a place to retreat to will change things, but I am not so sure...He just can't be alone! I would welcome any advice-I know I need to act like a grown up and make a decision.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,219 • Replies: 46
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:28 pm
I'm sure I'd have your same qualms. Will be back to comment more later.

By the way, welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:31 pm
Hi there, thanks for the nice informative post.

I get a bad vibe from it. I don't like the pressuring. I don't like how early it is in your relationship. (FEBRUARY? Of 2006 or 2007?) I don't like the compromises you'll have to make -- I much prefer the idea of two people moving to neutral ground rather than one person moving into the other person's house.

How about if he finds a nice affordable apartment somewhere between your house and his job? He can have a toothbrush and a few spare sets of clothes at your house, and/ or just pack in the morning, leave his bag in the car, and go straight to your house after work.

If you're this resistant at this point, I don't see good things in the future. And I really don't like the pressuring.
0 Replies

Carolyn D

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:44 pm
I met him February 2007.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:48 pm
Eeek.

Everything you've said so far adds up in such a way that my advice at this point is NO. There seem to be other ways to manage the commute. Too much of this is coming from him. (Counting on fingers march april may June just started...) 3 1/2 or 4 months is just too early in most relationships to move in together, I'd say. Exceptions abound, and if YOU were super enthusiastic about it, maybe, but the way he's been irritating you, the pressure, the way you describe the whole situation... no.

You characterize it as neurosis, I think it's very sensible of you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:52 pm
How about his getting an apartment near you? I think this needs more testing out..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:55 pm
Just saw sozobe's post about the apartment.. (great minds)

I probably have more to say, but agree with all sozobe said. I need to be out in the garden right now, just came in for some ice water and a wee peek at a2k.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 07:08 pm
Re: Should we move in together? Might it be a mistake?
Carolyn D wrote:
After ten weeks he began pressing me to move in with me.

10 weeks?? Not only no, but he11 no.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 07:38 pm
I'm with the others. I don't like the feeling I have about this and I honestly don't think it would work out for the simple fact that he seems extremely clingy and as an independant woman myself, I can't stomache anyone in my face all the time.
I've lived with 2 clingy men for a total of 12 years between the two and I truly wish I never had. It was hell!

Welcome to A2K by the way :-D
0 Replies

Carolyn D

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:14 pm
Thanks to those who responded. Unfortunately, the area where I live is terribly expensive. He is paying 1100 in his current place now, and that is low for this region of New Jersey. He lives in a more central part of NJ. He does not like the area where I live which is 7 miles from New York City for rentals-things he could afford would be extremely small and run down, and he needs to have extra space for his son's visits. I have seen some of the cheaper rentals and they are pretty bad. The savings in a cheaper apartment-which would be around 900 dollars-wouldn't be enough reason for him to uproot himself from a pretty decent apartment that is nearer to his son. All this is his problem, I know. I feel if I love him I could be willing to help him.

I know-a clingy man is pretty awful. Sometimes when he shows his independent side I like him so much. I do love him-I just don't like him sometimes. I wonder if the clinginess is something he could get over in time, if I just left him alone sometimes to do my thing. I do love being with someone...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:46 pm
My exs never got over the never ending clingy stage and I truly felt smothered by it all. I would try to go off and do my own thing, but they would follow and in my face they stayed. I personally can't live with a man who has to be with me constantly, but that's just me.

I truly wish you the very best in whatever you decide :-D
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:57 pm
Quote:
I am a 49 year old woman, never married, and never lived with anyone.

Carolyn D- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Reader's Digest version:

You only know this man for a very short time.
You have been alone all your adult life.
The man you are with is clingy.
You would have to deal with not only him, but an offspring.

If it were me, I would think long and hard before I would let him move in. His financial problems are his concern. Don't make them yours.

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:13 pm
Listen to your gut. As you stated, you've used common sense all of your life. Don't stop now.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 09:20 pm
I agree with Phoenix. At least give yourself enough time to think about it. He's not even living there yet and he's already driving you a little nuts.
I remember not thinking much about the clingy thing with my exs before they moved in with me and I actually thought it was kinda cute that they loved me so much, but that got old not long after they moved in.
I felt so trapped in my own home and I will never let myself get in that situation again.
I'm 43 years old and I haven't been with a man in over 8 years and as lonely as I get sometimes, I'm basically happy and I know I'll stay that way as long as I don't allow another clingy man to move into my house.

In my neck of the woods, a couple is considered comon law after 6 months of living together, so that entitles them to your assets, which means that if I ever allow any man to move in with me again, he'll have to sign a prenup Laughing

I know that sounds terrible, but I worked damn hard for my house, car and other assets, so they'll be staying mine :-D
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:11 pm
Hello, Carolyn D! Welcome to A2K.

Unfortunately, this doesn't look like a good bet to me. After 3 or 4 months, you're already saying things that most "in love" couples don't say until 3 or 4 years together, after the infatuation has worn off.

"I do love him, I just don't like him sometimes..."
"I am feeling a little too 'joined at the hip.'"
"Little things he does really annoy me."
"Little evasions, little half truths he makes bother me."
"We fight over little stupid things..."

This early in the relationship, these are definitely red flags.

So are these:

"After ten weeks he began pressing me to move in with me."
"He doesn't seem to have any close friends."
"Sometimes his social skills are a little lacking, he is self absorbed..."
"He has mildly embarrassed me a few times."
"He just can't be alone!"

Carolyn, I'm going to be frank. I don't think this relationship has what it takes to last. I think you're rationalizing a lot of things you shouldn't because you want some companionship. That's understandable, but it won't make for a healthy relationship. If I were you, I'd wish him well and keep looking.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:38 pm
Excellent points Eva!

I've been thinking a lot about this because this man is acting so much like the men in my life that I described and I wanted to add that one of the two became very jealous and controling, which led to physical abuse.
I'm in no way insinuating that he's like that, as I would just like to see you think longer and harder about it and get to know him better.
My last ex was clingy, but not an abusive psycho like the other one, but either way, it was no picnic.

I am curious to know if he has any jealous streaks, but of course that's none of my business.
0 Replies

Carolyn D

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 12:03 am
Should we move in together?
Thanks everyone. I am listening. This is what my friends are telling me too.

Eesh.

I don't have much hope in my head it that it will get better.

In my heart I am hoping. I am so tired of being single in a sea full of couples. I feel validated as a couple. I like going to occasions with a man I know is my boyfriend. I've always been the single woman-(recently the "dog lady"-since I had been rescuing dogs for a while.) Photos of me with friends and family going back 20 years-I am always alone. Not looking unhappy, but not partnered with anyone. It is hard to meet people like me-I am slightly eccentric, and at my age I find it extremely difficult to meet men who aren't put off my my eccentricities. Most men my age are going to be divorced and probably have kids, if not, they will be confirmed bachelors.

It is nice to have someone who will take me to the airport, compliment me, to cook for, to be with.

He has shown some weird behavior like when I was with a friend at a show and didn't call him the moment the show ended, he was "worried" about me. The caring can be a little much. I don't care to answer to someone.

I plan to talk to a lawyer this week and get a legal contract about financial things if I do go through with it in September, I am so unsure of myself right now.

Maybe if we went to a couples counselor?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 12:23 am
I understand your mixed feelings.
I respond from my own, saying 'no'.
But all of us answer with our own packages.

I'm an older woman. Didn't marry until I was 37, to a fairly independent younger guy, as I was used to being as well - independent, that is. It lasted a long time, but not forever.
I'm also an artist, yadda yadda.

I sympathize with all of your no's. But, maybe my no's are getting in the way.

Still, leaving room that this could work out, my self says, no, and no.

OK, this might be hard, but envision the worst scenario.... and face it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 12:37 am
Well, listen to yourself on fears of creepy, or creeping need.

I want to say, snap out of this.

A lot of us here understand serious lonely, even though we don't bounce it around much, chatting.

I'll not say one way or another on this fellow, except, don't rush in.
(My antennae are up...., but they're not always right. He already aggravates me, but so what.)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 12:43 am
Carolyn, when you describe yourself I'm a bit set back because you are describing me, which is something I don't see often.
I can so very much relate to your feeling of wanting to be with someone and those alone pictures. I've got stacks of those alone shots and I personally would love to have a man in my life who understands me and is at least enough like me to respect my space.

You mentioned that he said he was worried about you when you didn't call him right away after the movie and this is a huge red flag for me because those words, exact words, are words I am very familiar with, as my last ex used them daily.

He once said to me "But, it's because I love you so much" and I said "Yeah, you can stop loving me anytime now"! Laughing (I wasn't laughing at the time)
0 Replies