Hillery, Obama, Edwards and the Democrates

woiyo

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:13 am
nimh wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Arnold is actually DOING SOMETHING. He is holding the Feds responsible for their inaction.

Arnold is a Governor. It's an executive office, so he can do things. Hillary is a Senator - all she can do is propose legislation, and as long as you have Bush wielding his veto and a reliable 40+ Republican minority in the Senate, there's not much she can do. Switch their positions around and they would be in each other's place. <shrugs>

That said, I'm glad we apparently agree on the common sense of these emission standards. Sometimes pragmatism has to trump ideological concerns like George's.

As an EFFECTIVE Senator, one could influence other Senators to propose and PASS meaningful legislation. Hillary has shown that she is NOT and effective Senator.

Let's look at her record.

Statistics: Hillary Clinton has sponsored 337 bills since Jan 22, 2001, of which 291 haven't made it out of committee (Very Poor) and 2 were successfully enacted (Average, relative to peers). Clinton has co-sponsored 1664 bills during the same time period (Average, relative to peers).

Some of Clinton's most recently sponsored bills include... (View All)
S. 2114: American Home Ownership Preservation Act of 2007
S. 2082: A bill to amend the Public Health Service Act to establish a Coordinated Environmental Public Health Network, and for other purposes.
S. 2059: Airline Flight Crew Technical Corrections Act
S. 1148: Hudson-Fulton-Champlain Quadricentennial Commemoration Commission Act of 2007
S. 2054: Neighborhood Reclamation and Revitalization Program Act of 2007

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=300022

I agree....Very Poor.
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:35 am
woiyo wrote:
Statistics: Hillary Clinton has sponsored 337 bills since Jan 22, 2001, of which 291 haven't made it out of committee (Very Poor) and 2 were successfully enacted (Average, relative to peers).

For six of the seven years concerned here, there was a Republican majority in the Senate, a Republican majority in the House, a Republican President, and a Republican Party hellbent on marginalising any initiative coming from the Democrats. These are not the 70s or even 90s anymore. There was very little opportunity to get any bill through that didnt fit the Republican agenda hook, line and sinker. Of course a Democratic Senator wasnt going to get many bills passed.

And you know, I wish I could say that the same would be true next year if the Democrats win these elections. That they will steamroll through their own agenda with no interest in compromise of Senate-wide consensus, and conservative Republicans will be left to throw up one after the other bill that doesnt stand a chance, just like it was true for Clinton so far.

Alas, the Democrats dont possess that kind of ruthless bloody-mindedness, and so you'll go back to middle-ground Clintonianism like in the 90s again at best.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:47 am
nimh said
Quote:
and so you'll go back to middle-ground Clintonianism like in the 90s again at best.

I hope not, though it is my fundamental concern as well. And I think there is reason to consider that my hope isn't empty. For one thing, I think that the american left, particularly its activist community, understands now far more acutely the nature of the fight they are in. Keep in mind that Hillary was the first to understand (or at least state publicly) that a vast rightwing machine had evolved and that its nature was ruthless, extremist, and power hungry. For another, and Krugman is the fellow to turn to here, there are broad indications that traditional liberal values and social policies are likely to be increasingly supported through demographic change and economic realities.
0 Replies

woiyo

Fri 9 Nov, 2007 12:08 pm
nimh wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Statistics: Hillary Clinton has sponsored 337 bills since Jan 22, 2001, of which 291 haven't made it out of committee (Very Poor) and 2 were successfully enacted (Average, relative to peers).

For six of the seven years concerned here, there was a Republican majority in the Senate, a Republican majority in the House, a Republican President, and a Republican Party hellbent on marginalising any initiative coming from the Democrats. These are not the 70s or even 90s anymore. There was very little opportunity to get any bill through that didnt fit the Republican agenda hook, line and sinker. Of course a Democratic Senator wasnt going to get many bills passed.

And you know, I wish I could say that the same would be true next year if the Democrats win these elections. That they will steamroll through their own agenda with no interest in compromise of Senate-wide consensus, and conservative Republicans will be left to throw up one after the other bill that doesnt stand a chance, just like it was true for Clinton so far.

Alas, the Democrats dont possess that kind of ruthless bloody-mindedness, and so you'll go back to middle-ground Clintonianism like in the 90s again at best.

No more excuses. Either you are an effective persuader or you are not.

If you examine all the records of the Senators running for President, none have records that are better or worse than the Clintons. The problem in this country is partisen politics and no one wants to "give in" to the other side, even if the "other side" is right.

Hopefully, based upon the lowest poll numbers in history for this congress, the citizens are waking up to this fact.

When will you?
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:01 am
woiyo wrote:
If you examine all the records of the Senators running for President, none have records that are better or worse than the Clintons. The problem in this country is partisen politics and no one wants to "give in" to the other side, even if the "other side" is right.

Hopefully, based upon the lowest poll numbers in history for this congress, the citizens are waking up to this fact.

When will you?

What am I supposed to wake up to? That the problem in your country is partisan politics? And what, you represent post- or non-partisan politics, then? Isnt that a bit rich after combatively defending almost every conservative cause, and expressing disdain for every liberal one, for the past four years?

I acknowledge that you occasionally go against the grain on the day-to-day strategies of the Republicans. But when it comes down to the bottom-line issues, you're a strident conservative on almost every one of them. The only partisan politics you really have problems with is liberal politics.

There is a sad irony in how conservatives have been happy to cram any and every policy down our throat for six years without any regard for bipartisanship, and as soon as the Democrats get at least a semblance of a grip on one or the other of the institutions start whining about "partisan politics". Sorry, but F that.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 01:14 pm
This is interesting, and doesnt help Hillary's image at all.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,310316,00.html

Clinton Campaign Confirms Planting Town Hall Question, Says It Won't Happen Again

Quote:

After her poor performance at the last debate, this isnt going to help her at all.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:34 pm
Dumb move. The very last thing the Clinton campaign (or any dem campaign) wants to do is follow the model of the Bush's faux townhalls and planted questioners (Jeff Gannon...81/2 inches uncut).

MM...you really gotta stop getting your info from Fox. If you want to get smarter and wiser, that is. If not, continue.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:51 pm
Bernie wrote-

Quote:
Keep in mind that Hillary was the first to understand (or at least state publicly) that a vast rightwing machine had evolved and that its nature was ruthless, extremist, and power hungry.

She's projecting Bernie. She just likes talking about vast, ruthless, extremist, power hungry machines but not with her at the wheel as that is considered unseemly.

Rider Haggard's Ayesha delineates the condition and the temptation to seek to kow-tow to it.

Are you trying to claim that the Left is not power hungry and ruthless and actually wishes to rock us all to sleep with a lullaby instead.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:54 pm
blatham wrote:
Dumb move. The very last thing the Clinton campaign (or any dem campaign) wants to do is follow the model of the Bush's faux townhalls and planted questioners (Jeff Gannon...81/2 inches uncut).

MM...you really gotta stop getting your info from Fox. If you want to get smarter and wiser, that is. If not, continue.

Would you like me to see if I can find the story in another newsservice?

Does the fact that it came from Fox make it any less valid?
Or are you saying that since it came from Fox it must be untrue?
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:00 pm
He does lean towards that sort of thing.

It was once said to me, well maybe more than once, that what I had said was suspect because I had inhaled on a stogie a few times without any reference to what I had said.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:03 pm
It's one ingredient of leftist bullshit.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:29 pm
mysteryman wrote:
blatham wrote:

Would you like me to see if I can find the story in another newsservice?

Does the fact that it came from Fox make it any less valid?
Or are you saying that since it came from Fox it must be untrue?

No, that story is true. And the move was dumb and I don't like it. And it was dumb precisely because of why I said it was. It follows the deceitful and unprincipled examples exemplified by Bush's PR procedures (townhalls where questions are fed and where no one who might ask something awkward is even allowed in the door, or Jeff Gannon, etc).

Your Fox-mind shows up in "she did a poor job in the debate". She didn't. She was likely hurt a bit (and that's reflected in some polls) by the attacks from her competitors and from the nature of the DL matter put to her the way Russert put it to her. But to say she did a poor job in the debate is a typical and predictable talking point out of Fox which you swallow without much thought.
0 Replies

nimh

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 09:09 pm
blatham wrote:
Your Fox-mind shows up in "she did a poor job in the debate". She didn't. She was likely hurt a bit (and that's reflected in some polls) by the attacks from her competitors and from the nature of the DL matter put to her the way Russert put it to her. But to say she did a poor job in the debate is a typical and predictable talking point out of Fox [..]

Bull. ABC's Stephanopoulos, NBC's Russert, CBS's Greenfield, they all agreed she did badly. Now we can talk about the stupidity of the punditry class overall of course, but just a Fox talking point this wasnt.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 10 Nov, 2007 09:48 pm
nimh

Not more nuanced than that? Did they forward a general notion that she had "done badly"? I didn't hear/read either of those three. The folks that I heard, and that's a fair few, made tempered claims and noted that for the majority of the debate time, she'd been typically on top of the issues and had seemed confident and smooth (in a good sense). "Wasn't as clear a winner as in previous debates" or "wasn't the clear winner" or "stumbled on a couple of things" was the tone.

But if you have this right, I'll apologize to MM.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 11 Nov, 2007 02:22 am
blatham wrote:
nimh said
Quote:
and so you'll go back to middle-ground Clintonianism like in the 90s again at best.

I hope not, though it is my fundamental concern as well. And I think there is reason to consider that my hope isn't empty. For one thing, I think that the american left, particularly its activist community, understands now far more acutely the nature of the fight they are in. Keep in mind that Hillary was the first to understand (or at least state publicly) that a vast rightwing machine had evolved and that its nature was ruthless, extremist, and power hungry. For another, and Krugman is the fellow to turn to here, there are broad indications that traditional liberal values and social policies are likely to be increasingly supported through demographic change and economic realities.

My recollection is that Hillary's "vast right wing conspiracy" charge was an attempt to deflect attention from the emerging facts that Bill's problems with lawsuits from Paula Jones, depositions with her attorney's, public allegations of rape emerging from another woman in Little Rock, and repeaded denials over the banalities of the Monica Lewinski comedy were all unravelling. It appeared that he (and perhaps she) found it convenient to blame it all on someone else. That hardly counts as a prescient discovery of a developing, but as yet hidden, evil force.

The activist community of the Democrat left has repeatedly proven its aptitude to bring about the defeat of Democrat candidates in the past. One can only hope they will step forward to do their worst in the months ahead.

I didn't realize that Krugman was a demographer as well. He really is an ugly little weasel. I have been fleetingly tempted to read something of his but was always distracted by something more interesting.

I didn't watch the debate, but I don't think there is a case to be made for the proposition that Hillary stumbled enough in the debate to seriously loose ground to any of the midgets & amateurs running against her. On the other hand, I wouldn't expend much energy arguing about it.

Does Nimh wish to see a return to the good ole time Religion of real Democrats like Mondale, Hubert Humphrey, and Mike Dukakis?? Perhaps he wishes to reach farther back to FDR and Huey Long. Are things a bit slow out there in Hungary or wherever he is now?

How are the Poles doing with only one twin?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Sun 11 Nov, 2007 05:42 am
Quote:
"Media Matters"; by Jamison Foser

Summary:

A "terrible" performance

The dominant political story of the past week and a half has been Hillary Clinton's performance in the October 30 Democratic presidential debate. During and immediately after the debate, the general consensus was certainly not that Clinton had fallen on her face. As Eric Boehlert explained this week:

What was interesting about the debate was that commentators who later described the night as a train wreck for Clinton were surprisingly subdued as the debate unfolded in real time. It was only later, as the pundits fed off each other and whipped themselves into a frenzy, that the reviews become increasingly harsh, to the point where it was written in Beltway stone that Clinton had absolutely bombed during the debate; a "debacle."

But again, as it unfolded live, that's not how it was reported. For instance, live-blogging the debate at abcnews.com, Rick Klein, who later hyped the dire debate consequences for Clinton at ABC's The Note, wrote at 9:33 p.m.: "Clinton is strong, concise, and sharp tonight. She is finding ways to contrast herself with the Bush administration even while defending herself."

By 10:35 p.m., Klein wished the two-hour debate was over already: "The last few minutes remind me of why debates should end at 90 minutes. Less energy on the stage, and fewer interesting things to be said."

Time's Ana Marie Cox also wrote about the debate in real time. At 10:53 p.m., Cox wrote that Clinton had made her "first mistake of the night" -- an hour and 53 minutes into the debate, and about nine minutes before the end.

But as the media feeding frenzy continued, the pundit class convinced themselves that Clinton had turned in the worst debate performance in years. It was "terrible," the New York Post announced more than a week later.

Time's Mark Halperin declared it "disastrous" and a "failure." According to Halperin, Clinton was "shrill" and "too hot tempered." The Politico's Roger Simon agreed that Clinton "really" had a "bad night" -- but Simon insisted that Clinton "seemed largely emotionless and detached." Given that two such esteemed journalists agreed that Clinton had a horrible night, but did so based on directly contradictory reasons, it's easy to suspect that no matter what Clinton had done during the debate, the pundits would have criticized her.

So constant were the negative reviews of her performance, Clinton ultimately said in an interview that she hadn't been at her best during the debate.

Perhaps the best indication that the "disastrous performance" story line is overblown is that Slate's Mickey Kaus has been promoting it. Kaus is in full-on Clinton Campaign Death Watch mode, endlessly hyping the latest sign that Clinton is just days away from falling behind Dick Cheney in the Democratic primary campaign. In recent days, he has declared Clinton's campaign to be "flailing," announced that "Hillary has now used two of what she must have considered the most powerful weapons in her arsenal ... and they both backfired," and speculated that further discussion of immigration policy would "just about do it for her" -- meaning, end her campaign. Kaus has compared Clinton to Mike Dukakis and made what even he acknowledges is the "cheapest" reference to right-wing smears about Clinton having an affair with a female staffer.

more here...

http://mediamatters.org/items/200711100004/
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Nov, 2007 10:05 am
butterflynet

Lovely find. Thanks.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Nov, 2007 10:25 am
georgeob1 wrote:
blatham wrote:
nimh said
Quote:

My recollection is that Hillary's "vast right wing conspiracy" charge was an attempt to deflect attention from the emerging facts that Bill's problems with lawsuits from Paula Jones, depositions with her attorney's, public allegations of rape emerging from another woman in Little Rock, and repeaded denials over the banalities of the Monica Lewinski comedy were all unravelling. It appeared that he (and perhaps she) found it convenient to blame it all on someone else. That hardly counts as a prescient discovery of a developing, but as yet hidden, evil force.

george
But how would you presume to know? You have never, and will never, do even the most cursory research into any such matter because it is more cognitively agreeable to quite purposefully keep yourself profoundly uneducated on such matters.
0 Replies

xingu

Sun 11 Nov, 2007 10:34 am
With the benefit of ignorance one can make any accusation they choose.
0 Replies

nimh

Sun 11 Nov, 2007 04:00 pm
blatham wrote:
But if you have this right, I'll apologize to MM.

Well to be fair I think Butrflynet has the number here. It wasnt just Fox News, no -- but it was a serious case of the punditry class collectively whipping itself into a near-frenzy after the fact.

It's not the first time (and it's not only happened to Hillary) that the commentators and journalists report on someone's performance in quite measured ways as the debate is still unfolding, but then when they notice a consensus among their colleagues developing over the evening and following day (someone "ran away with" the debate or performed "disastrously"), fall into line and really magnify and whip up that story.

It's a kind of sad pack herd mentality, but they make their living by coming up with some clear, stark, preferably sensational story, so that's what they do, and their place in the punditry pecking order depends on not diverging too much from the expected talking points, so thats how it goes.

georgeob1 wrote:
Does Nimh wish to see a return to the good ole time Religion of real Democrats like Mondale, Hubert Humphrey, and Mike Dukakis?? Perhaps he wishes to reach farther back to FDR and Huey Long. Are things a bit slow out there in Hungary or wherever he is now? How are the Poles doing with only one twin?

Yes, thats it, things are just slow out here "in Hungary or wherever I am now" (hint: it's in my location line, still). I mean, what other reason could there possibly be for nimh to post about US politics?

You've really veered off into the outright pissy lately, George. But yes, for the record, I would love a return to FDR's politics. Dukakis, not so much.
0 Replies