Dating a widower

Noddy24

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:16 pm
Remember, very often men are not aware of the auras of objects.

Mr. Noddy will never understand why I didn't want him to put a picture of my unfavorite stepson in a picture frame that a close friend gave to me. I accept that the picture has a place on his bureau--but not in a frame of mine.
0 Replies

ryry02

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 08:18 pm
I would like to hear other people's stories also. And that is very true that objects have auras.
0 Replies

akpasqualina

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 01:04 pm
0 Replies

ryry02

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 09:57 am
akpasqualina- Thank you for sharing your story. It is so nice to be able to hear other people who have the unique issues ( if that's the right word?) that come a long with dating a widower. Children can complicate the emotions and reactions that everyone has. Especially if they are not his biological children. He may feel some greater obligation in a way to appear loyal to their mother?? My bf has basically adult children also. They are seemling accepting of me but he did have difficulty in approaching the subject of me in the beginning. The pictures in his home are there, yes but I have not ever asked him to move them or do anything with them .. I understand that you could feel badly when the pictures came back out? The thing is, it's hard to know, like you said .. where do you draw the boundary lines? What is ok and what is not? The reaction from a lot of people is almost like they should be able to do whatever is ok for them and their grieving process and really it should have nothing to do with us. Which in a way is true to an extent But we just need to be conscious of what is ok for us and what is hurtful to us. I think it's ok to let him know that you feel uncomfortable with some things. I have never said anything about the pictures of my bf's late wife.. but he has. He asked me if it was ok... the pictures and where he had them. I said it was.. he only has them in one area.. one small table.. none anywhere else... not in the bedroom... I feel ok with that. I think he needs that and so do his children.. although they do not live there..but still. But if it's a big picture in the bedroom and then he put your picture away? I think that would hurt my feelings too. It's like the book on the nightstand in the bedroom for Hurtingirl. It is good to vent. And it's ok. I am sure that he loves you. His step children coming may just be confusing him about what he should do.
0 Replies

akpasqualina

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 09:40 am
dating a widower
Ryry02 - Thank you for your insightful reply. You're right about several things, imo. Because the children are not biologically connected to my bf, his challenges and guilt introducing a new relationship are different. After this past weekend he has made a point of letting me know that I will soon meet them. However I suggested, noting it really is none of my business, he might want to allow them time to adjust to his dating (drop hints, etc.) before bringing them face to face with what may be interpreted as their mother's replacement. Of course, we all know this isn't true - their mother cannot be replaced even in my bf's heart and mind.

I also agree that our situations are very different from most adult relationships in that our partners still, at least to a degree, love another person. They always will. Most new couples come face to face with a history that includes other partners but those have been willingly released and the grieving process is far shorter. Like you said, had my bf's wife not died he would still be happily in love with her and I would most likely never have met him. That thought has brought some degree of guilt for me, another albeit minimal challenge.

I agree with hurtingirl too. When a widower is ready to bring a new woman into his home, pursuing a romantic relationship, there is an obligation to make room both physically and emotionally. I read somewhere that to minimize our hurt and adjust our boundaries any more than we would with a divorced man is to placate and extend grieving rather than encourage healing. I don't know how true this is. It seems rather black and white to me. It seems to me these hurts are merely oversights, a lack of understanding of the impact of what our widowers believe to be static, inert objects. I don't see anyone saying no pictures or trinkets be retained. Balance is key.

Oh, I wanted to mention to you too rory02, I ran across a message board where widow/ers discussed calling their new partner by their deceased spouses name. It is truly accidental and they are aware of the pain created in those instances. They say it has no bearing on their feelings for their new partner, nor their old. It is merely a slip of the tongue. I think you are a special woman, based on what I see you write here. I'm very glad you chose patience and communication to work through this challenge. Your bf is a lucky man as far as I can tell.

As for my situation, the large framed portrait was taken down as soon as the children left. My bf is now talking to his family about our relationship, letting them know he is happily dating again. Breaking the news to her children will be more difficult but he is evidently prepared for that as well. I'll continue to be patient but reasonable (?) as best I can. He is worth it.

Good luck to you and thank you for this opportunity to discuss these thoughts with someone who actually gets it. ~Pasq
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 11:32 am
Re: dating a widower
akpasqualina wrote:
I'll continue to be patient but reasonable (?) as best I can. He is worth it.

And THAT is what it all boils down to. Very Happy
0 Replies

ryry02

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 05:43 pm
akpasqualina Thank you for your reply. Thank you for letting me know that you read about Widowers calling their girlfriends/ wives by their late wife's names. I haven't really seen that in writing but people here did mostly reply that they felt it must have been a slip of the tongue. I am ok with it. We talked a lot about it and about his feelings/ grief/ feelings for me/ feelings for his late wife... and everything. I think it's ok. I really do. Thank you for saying that my bf is a lucky man Smile I feel lucky really to have him also. I have a strong connection with him. I am willing to be patient also. He is also worth it. You seem very patient and special also and I really wish you luck with your relationship. I am sure the unique challenges have not all been met for us but like you said .. it's worth it sometimes. I appreciate also being able to talk with someone who truly gets it. That goes a long way for understanding.
Quote:
I also agree that our situations are very different from most adult relationships in that our partners still, at least to a degree, love another person. They always will.
This is the most challenging part. But it's ok. They love us too.. some people never have that. Luckily we can enjoy our lives together and move forward from here. It's good that your bf is telling his family. That's a step in the right direction. I suggested to my bf that he approach it in the way you told yours to. How about.. "I'm dating" to start out with... that seemed to work. His kids seem ok with me and they now know that it's a serious relationship. I am sure your bf step kids will be ok in time. Take care and please post again if you want to talk Smile
0 Replies

hurtingirl

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 12:46 pm
ok, maybe this isn;t' the place to do this but---- that reminded me of the joke.

A guy is babysitting his brother's cat. The cat dies. The guy calls his brother and tells him. The brother is furious... he says "you don't just blurt out that the cat died!". "well what should i have said", the guy asks. The brother replies, 'well you could start out gentle...call and say 'the cat was on the roof ".... then call again and say' the cat's got hurt....etc.
A few days later, the guy calls his brother... "dad was on the roof...."
0 Replies

ryry02

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:14 am
link
Hurtingirl akpasqualina have you seen this web site.. forum? It is very informative and worth looking into.

http://www.womenlovingwidowers.net

Hurtingirl.. that was funny Smile
0 Replies

hurtingirl

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 03:46 pm
Actually I was on that site. They kicked me off. I said that I thought it would be a good idea for widowers to read some of that stuff. My guy is interested in what women think and learning so that he and I can avoid some of the problems that arise. They told me I was a security risk to the privacy of the other women on the site. I said "security"?? This is the web! 15 yr old boys who like to yank women's chains could be making up stories and coming on here. widowers could be here under femail names. That freaked them out and they kicked me out.
0 Replies

akpasqualina

Reply Tue 11 Sep, 2007 10:01 pm
RE: WLW website
Hi again ryry02 & hurtingirl ~

That joke is hilarious and made my SO laugh shortly after his brother called to tell him that their mother passed. He's lost both his mom and dad in the last two months. It hasn't been easy as this has triggered grieving cycles for him regarding his late wife too. Luckily, I got to meet both his mom and dad before they passed.

His mom is GREAT. I really admire her. The last thing she said to me before we left was, "Make sure you become a permanent part of this family." She laughed when I told her, "You'll have to talk to your son about that but .......... just don't jinx it." Smile

Regarding the WLW group: I suppose you are one up on me hurtingirl as you had a chance to join. I was rejected. My relationship was deemed to be temporary and ending shortly. I was described as delusional and a doormat. To allow me to join would place the members in real relationships with widowers at risk. *sheesh* What is up with this place?

Anyway, this worked to my advantage as when my b/f was able to finally get this news out of me, he didn't like hearing it. WTH do they know? He's been working hard to be re-assuring and more attentive. We're progressing well, imo.

How are you two doing? I'd love an update. ~ Pasq
0 Replies