how to understand Black English?

blanche

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:23 am
the paragraph below is extracted from a novel written by Kate Chopin:
"Dev'ment, pu' dev'ment, Rose. Did n' he come in dat same cabin one day, w'en he warn't no bigga 'an dat Pres'dent Hayes w'at you sees gwine 'long de road wid dat cotton sack 'crost 'im? He come an' sets down by de do', on dat same t'ree-laigged stool w'at you 's a-settin' on now, wid his gun in his han', an' he say:'La Chatte, I wants some croquignoles, an' I wants 'em quick, too.' I 'low: 'G' 'way f'om dah, boy. Don' you see I 's flutin' yo' ma's petticoat?' He say:'La Chatte, put 'side dat ar flutin'-i'on an' dat ar petticoat;' an' he cock dat gun an' p'int it to my head.' 'Dar de ba'el,' he say; 'git out dat flour, git our dat butta an' dat aigs; step roun' dah, ole 'oman. Dis heah gun don' quit yo' head tell dem croquignoles is on de table, wid a w'ite tableclof an' a cup o' coffee.' Ef iI goes to de ba'el, de gun 's a-p'intin'. Ef I goes o de fiah, de gun 's a-p'intin'. W'en I rolls out de dough, de gun 's a-p'intin'; an' him neva say nuttin', an' me a-trim'lin' like ole Uncle Noah w'en de mistry strike 'im."

what dos this guy say? I can hardly know.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,594 • Replies: 44
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:09 am
Re: how to understand Black English?
blanche wrote:
"Dev'ment, pu' dev'ment, Rose. Did n' he come in dat same cabin one day, w'en he warn't no bigga 'an dat Pres'dent Hayes w'at you sees gwine 'long de road wid dat cotton sack 'crost 'im? He come an' sets down by de do', on dat same t'ree-laigged stool w'at you 's a-settin' on now, wid his gun in his han', an' he say:'La Chatte, I wants some croquignoles, an' I wants 'em quick, too.' I 'low: 'G' 'way f'om dah, boy. Don' you see I 's flutin' yo' ma's petticoat?' He say:'La Chatte, put 'side dat ar flutin'-i'on an' dat ar petticoat;' an' he cock dat gun an' p'int it to my head.' 'Dar de ba'el,' he say; 'git out dat flour, git our dat butta an' dat aigs; step roun' dah, ole 'oman. Dis heah gun don' quit yo' head tell dem croquignoles is on de table, wid a w'ite tableclof an' a cup o' coffee.' Ef iI goes to de ba'el, de gun 's a-p'intin'. Ef I goes o de fiah, de gun 's a-p'intin'. W'en I rolls out de dough, de gun 's a-p'intin'; an' him neva say nuttin', an' me a-trim'lin' like ole Uncle Noah w'en de mistry strike 'im."

ba'el is some food item or place in the kitchen, but I'm not sure what.

Dev'ment is a contraction for the name of the man they are talking about

Dev'ment, poor Dev'ment, Rose. Didn't he come in that same cabin one day, when we weren't any bigger than President Hayes that you see going along the road with that cotton sack over his shoulder?

He came and sat by the door, on that same three-legged stool that you are sitting on now, with his gun in his hand, and he said: "La Chatte, I want some croquignoles, and I want them quickly, too.

I hollered: "Get away from that, boy. Don't you see I am wearing your mother's petticoat?"

He said: "La Chatte, put aside that there frying pan and that there petticoat. " And he cocked that gun and he pointed it at my head. "There's the ba'el," he said. "Get out that flour, get out that butter, and those eggs; step around there, old woman. This here gun doesn't leave your head until the croquignoles are on the table, with a white tablecloth and a cup of coffee.

If I go to the ba'el, the gun is still pointing. If I go to the frying pan, the gun is still pointing. When I rolled out the dough, the gun was still pointing; and he never said anything, and I was trembling like old Uncle Noah when the mistress hit him.
0 Replies

username

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:29 am
"Devilment, pure devilment"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:30 am
Blanche--

That's a dandy.

"Devilment, pure devilment." That part's easy.

Quote:
Did n' he come in dat same cabin one day, w'en he warn't no bigga 'an dat Pres'dent Hayes w'at you sees gwine 'long de road wid dat cotton sack 'crost 'im?

He came in that cabin one day behaving as though he was just as important as President Hayes, even though we've all seen him walking down the road carrying an old cotton sack slung across his shoulder.

Quote:
He come an' sets down by de do', on dat same t'ree-laigged stool w'at you 's a-settin' on now, wid his gun in his han', an' he say:'La Chatte, I wants some croquignoles, an' I wants 'em quick, too.'

He comes in, sits down and commands some croquignoles, a sort of fried dough. Here's a recipe for gussied up, middle-class croquignoles.

http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_name/croquignoles.html

Quote:
I 'low: 'G' 'way f'om dah, boy. Don' you see I 's flutin' yo' ma's petticoat?' He say:'La Chatte, put 'side dat ar flutin'-i'on an' dat ar petticoat;' an' he cock dat gun an' p'int it to my head.'

"Flutin'" a petticoat could be ironing--old fashioned ironing with an iron and crimping irons heated on the stove. Or "flutin'" could be ironing the petticoat ruffles.

He says, "Stop what you're doing[/QUOTE]. Leave the petticoats alone."

Then he cocks that gun he has in his hand and points it at my head.

Quote:
'Dar de ba'el,' he say; 'git out dat flour, git our dat butta an' dat aigs; step roun' dah, ole 'oman. Dis heah gun don' quit yo' head tell dem croquignoles is on de table, wid a w'ite tableclof an' a cup o' coffee.

I'm guessing that the "ba'el" is the flour barrel. Mr. Charming tells her to get out the flour and the butter and the eggs. He's going to point the gun at her until the croquignoles are on the table.

The white tablecloth may be an attitude more than an actual tablecloth. Either literally or metaphorically he expects to be catered to as though he is just as important as President Hayes.

Quote:
Ef iI goes to de ba'el, de gun 's a-p'intin'. Ef I goes o de fiah, de gun 's a-p'intin'. W'en I rolls out de dough, de gun 's a-p'intin'; an' him neva say nuttin', an' me a-trim'lin' like ole Uncle Noah w'en de mistry strike 'im."

He keeps the gun on her the whole time she's cooking. I'm guessing "fiah" is "fire"--although "fire" and deep frying would come after the dough is rolled out.

She's trembling like Uncle Noah speaking in tongues (as he does when the ministry strikes him). Or Uncle Noah could be afflicted with rheumatism, but this would probably be "misery".

I've made a lot of guesses here, but what I'm sure of, I'm sure of.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:37 am
Somebody PM OMSIGDAVID... he's a master at idiotic babble.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:49 am
I think "ba'el" is "barrel."

I'm not sure I'd call this Black English btw. It's a white woman's version of Southern black (Creole, I think) idiom a century or so ago.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:50 am
Oh, Noddy got "ba'el."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:54 am
Thanks, Sozobe. I certainly couldn't translate - and I've been black for several years now...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:57 am
snood wrote:
Thanks, Sozobe. I certainly couldn't translate - and I've been black for several years now...
Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:59 am
Laughing Snood.

"Mistry" might be "mystery."
0 Replies

blanche

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:24 am
Thank all of you very much.
my teacher said this is Black English, and I had no idea about Black English, so I recorded his words without doubt. I am sorry, snood and everyone of you. thanks to your help, now I can understand it quite well. I failed to mention that President Hayes is the hero of Kate Chopin's novel. Sorry, Noddy 24. Thank all of you very much.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 08:27 am
snood wrote:

Laughing

That made me giggle.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 09:08 am
You win some, you lose some, you have a few draws.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:33 pm
sozobe wrote:
Laughing Snood.

That was my initial translation. But think about it...that doesn't make sense, after the mystery struck him? We're talking about slaves here. Slaves with mistresses who strike them. I think that's it.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:33 pm
sozobe wrote:
Laughing Snood.

That was my initial translation. But think about it...that doesn't make sense, after the mystery struck him? We're talking about slaves here. Slaves with mistresses who strike them. And that makes them quiver in fear. I think that's it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:54 pm
The holy spirit. (Similar to what Noddy thought about speaking in tongues.)

"Mistress" doesn't seem to fit with the rest. I don't think that word would be used.

Dunno, though.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 12:59 pm
sozobe wrote:
The holy spirit. (Similar to what Noddy thought about speaking in tongues.)

"Mistress" doesn't seem to fit with the rest. I don't think that word would be used.

Dunno, though.

this is the correct interpretation. I have been black since last Monday.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:01 pm
The word is probably "misery", not mystery. And not mistress.
Misery was/is often used as a catchall back in the day for an undetermined illness.

Black English, huh? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:29 pm
Kate Chopin's novels and stories are set well after the civil war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Chopin

We're not talking slaves here--we're talking free blacks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 01:38 pm
That makes sense, eoe. Weird that the "t" would be added when the rest of it is about taking away letters, but could have been some sort of transciption error. "Mis'ry" makes the most sense.

Paydirt!

Quote:
mis'ry

http://www.answers.com/topic/bayou-folk-a-no-account-creole-v
0 Replies