Athiest one liners

real life

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 10:22 pm
akaMechsmith wrote:
All you have to do is show ONE thing that COULD not have happened except by Divine intervention and I will become a Deist. Guaranteed

Same old saw. 'Show me a miracle and then I'll believe.'

Are you asking for 'natural' proof of the 'supernatural'?

Isn't that rather like asking to 'see' an odor, or 'taste' a sound?

-------------------------------

Also, I thought Deists did not generally believe in Divine intervention (unless you are referring only to Creation). Did you mean Theist instead?
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 08:06 am
My sig-line, love it, you can count on good ole George.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 08:06 pm
Nope, I'll settle for anything that could be called evidence. Thats why I offered a few suggestions.

Before you accuse a person of a crime or a God of existence shouldn't you attempt to determine that a crime was commited or a God existed Question

I understand that most theists are accustomed to a much lower standard of proof than Atheists, so be warned that I will not accept evidence such as was used in the Inquisitions or the witch trials. Or the commencement of hostilities with Iraq for that matter Exclamation
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 03:24 pm
I have to agree with Real Life. Why on earth would I want to be an atheist and act as you do Wilso? So many atheists want tolerance for their beliefs (unbeliefs or whatever you call it) but only show intolerance for those that are believers. So you want tolerance but don't appear to want to offer tolerance?

It is NOT about proof. Never has been and never will be.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 04:14 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
I have to agree with Real Life. Why on earth would I want to be an atheist and act as you do Wilso? So many atheists want tolerance for their beliefs (unbeliefs or whatever you call it) but only show intolerance for those that are believers. So you want tolerance but don't appear to want to offer tolerance?

You don't want tolerance. You want power. That's all religion is about. Another instrument with which to control. You're all a bunch of deluded f@cking hypocrites. Screw you.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:17 pm
Wilso wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:

You don't want tolerance. You want power. That's all religion is about. Another instrument with which to control. You're all a bunch of deluded f@cking hypocrites. Screw you.

What power is it that you think we want? Control? Control of what? What religion?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:32 pm
I'm not playing this game anymore. I've had a gut full of you deluded nut cases with your pathetic superstitions.
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 05:51 pm
I think Wilso thinks as perhaps I do... the power of keeping the so called 90% enlightend one's enlightened and trying to enlighten us unenlightened one's with your codswallop.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 06:50 pm
Wilso wrote:
I'm not playing this game anymore. I've had a gut full of you deluded nut cases with your pathetic superstitions.
Snivel
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:14 am
Wilso wrote:

I would never deny that SOME want power; however, I am not one of those SOME.

Even if it ever came to the point of someone proving absolutely there is no God, I'd still believe there is because I would never want to even think of talking to people as you do. I honestly feel sorry for you. Hate is a horrible thing to harbor in one's heart.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:36 am
MA, can I still call you MA?

What is it about Wilso that distresses you?

Is it his stunning rhetoric?

His witty good nature?

Just remember: Now that Frank has retired, Wilso is the foremost intellectual among those professing atheism.

We should treat him with respect.

Good seeing you again, MA. Very Happy
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 11:08 am
If power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, then what does that say about God?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 11:09 am
In case of the Rapture-
Can I have your car?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 12:01 pm
neologist wrote:

His witty good nature?

Just remember: Now that Frank has retired, Wilso is the foremost intellectual among those professing atheism.

You apparently were never really paying attention. Frank despised atheists as much as, and probably more, than he did theists. Very poor work on your part, Neo.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:

His witty good nature?

You apparently were never really paying attention. Frank despised atheists as much as, and probably more, than he did theists. Very poor work on your part, Neo.
Drats!

I forgot.

But Frank did despise religionists. Also, to which Frank were you referring?

neo(trying to slink away)logist
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 01:24 pm
Equus wrote:
In case of the Rapture-
Can I have your car?
I'll still be driving; but do you need a ride anywhere?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 02:15 pm
Hey Neo! Sure you can still call me MA.

I'm not really distressed by Wilso. I am definitely perplexed by him though. I completely understand people not wanting religion forced upon them and I don't have a problem with that.

My problem is all the while Wilso seems to want freedom from religion he puts himself smack dab in the middle of it by posting on the S&R thread and he has, from what I have seen, absolutely no tolerance for anyone that has any religious beliefs but seems to demand tolerance from believers for things we may not agree with.

It makes me wonder if he feels that way about anyone different? I believe homosexuality is wrong in the eyes of God but would I talk to a homosexual the way that Wilso talks to unbelievers? No, I would not and I do not. If somone is handicapped, should I treat them badly? No. If someone is not as intelligent as another, should I treat them badly? No. So, what's the difference here? People shouldn't be treated with such blatant disrespect and contempt because they are different.

I personally have never been nasty to Wilso (at least as far as I know) for him to say screw you to me. If someone disagrees with something or believes something differently than another, shouldn't we still show respect and be civil at the very least? I am not asking him to respect what I believe but I do think he needs to respect my right to believe it. One can certainly have a conversation without being vulgar and disrespectful.

I feel Wilso's behavior is riddled with double standards and hypocrisy and that makes no sense to me. I don't know why anyone would want to be so hateful. I just don't get that. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:14 pm
neologist wrote:
neo(trying to slink away)logist

Yeah, no kiddin' . . . Wilso may have a more savage attitude than do others at this site who describe themselves as atheists, but i doubt if his contempt of religionists is necessarily all that unusual. He posts here in a forum on religion and spirituality, not just because that is the appropriate place for such a thread, but because we live in a society which accords to silly superstitions such a serious respect.

Note that there is no "Agnosticism and Atheism" forum. That alone tells you something about what kind of pervasive hold superstitions have on the human mind, that there is a religion forum, but not an "a-religion" forum.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 03:46 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Why on earth would I want to be an atheist and act as you do Wilso?

Do you think Wilso's behaviors reflect his atheism? I don't. I know many atheists who are kind and gentle in their interactions and many theists who are downright miserable and obnoxious in the way the interact with others. I don't see the connection you're making with this statement.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 04:04 pm
JPB wrote:
Do you think Wilso's behaviors reflect his atheism? I don't. I know many atheists who are kind and gentle in their interactions and many theists who are downright miserable and obnoxious in the way the interact with others. I don't see the connection you're making with this statement.

I believe in Wilso's case, yes, it reflects HIS atheism. I do not; however, think it reflects on all atheists. There are some very kind and nice people on this forum that are atheists or flat out don't believe in God at all and they don't treat anyone the way he treats non-believers.

My point is, if being an atheist is being like Wilso, forget it, I'll stick with God. But on the other hand, if being a Christian is like Fred Phelps, I'll still stick with God, just not the one that Fred Phelps professes.

I can't judge all atheists by the actions of one person just as all Christians cannot be judged on the actions of one (who professes to be) Christian.
0 Replies