Athiest one liners

Wilso

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2007 01:01 am
No amount of belief makes something a fact.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 02:46 pm
There are no absolutes. oops

Is that a fact? No belief is not an indication of a fact neither.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 02:55 pm
Never trust a christian, they're forgiven.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 03:51 pm
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 04:12 pm
If heaven and hell disappeared on saturday the churches would be empty on Sunday.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 06:04 pm
Wilso wrote:
Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right.

If you are not told by somebody, how do you know what is doing right is?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:42 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Wilso wrote:
Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told. Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right.

If you are not told by somebody, how do you know what is doing right is?

So does he talk to you personally, or is it just the voices in your head?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 07:46 pm
In the beginning, man created God. - Jethro Tull
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 07:38 am
Many of the atheists on this board have more or less rational explanations for their disbelief.

Athiests, on the other hand, failed English.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:20 am
neologist wrote:
Many of the atheists on this board have more or less rational explanations for their disbelief.

Athiests, on the other hand, failed English.

That's a mistake I make quite often. I usually catch it before I post though.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2007 08:34 am
We alll sometimes have spelling that is uneak.
0 Replies

danny boy

Reply Sun 12 Aug, 2007 03:46 pm
Wilso wrote:
ABSTINENCE-makes the church grow fondlers.

loooooool
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 07:55 pm
"Open your mouth and shut your eyes and see what Zeus will send you." -- Aristophanes

"A belief is not true [simply] because it is useful." -- Henri Frédéric Amiel

"The gods of men are sillier than their kings and queens, and emptier and more powerless." -- Maxwell Anderson

"Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night." -- Isaac Asimov

"Books must follow sciences, and not sciences books." -- Francis Bacon

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Mikhail Bakunin

"If God really existed, it would be necessary to abolish him." -- Mikhail Bakunin

"Faith is the fatigue resulting from the attempt to preserve God’s integrity instead of one’s own." -- Matt Berry

"[N]o philosophy, no religion, has ever brought so glad a message to the world as this good news of Atheism." -- Annie Besant

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet." -- Napoleon Bonapart

"A mere society form of Atheism." -- Charles Bradlaugh (describing Huxley's "agnosticism")

"A heretic, my dear sir, is a fellow who disagrees with you regarding something neither of you knows anything about." -- William Cowper Brann

"Man arose to high moral vision two thousand years before the Hebrew nation was born." -- James Henry Breasted

"Most people's religion is what they would like to believe, not what they do believe. And very few of them stop to examine its foundations." -- Luther Burbank

"Their sighin', cantin', grace-proud faces, / Their three-mile prayers, and half-mile graces." -- Robert Burns
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:45 pm
Good stuff megaman.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2007 10:56 pm
"All men are created equal" does not derive from religion
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 01:10 am
"The trouble with born-again Christians is that they are an even bigger pain the second time around." -- Herb Caen

"If churches want to play the game of politics, let them pay admission like everyone else." -- George Carlin

"If I had my way, the world would hear a pretty stern command -- Exit Christ." -- Thomas Carlyle

"Man appoints, and God disappoints." -- Miguel de Cervantes

"When he said we were trying to make a fool of him, I could only murmur that the Creator had beat us to it." -- Ilka Chase

"God: a disease we imagine we are cured of because no one dies of it nowadays." -- Emil Cioran

"'The Holy Ghost,' Luther instructs us, 'is not a skeptic.' Not everyone can be, and that is really too bad." -- Emil Cioran

"A faith that cannot survive collision with the truth is not worth many regrets." -- Arthur C Clarke

"For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill." -- Richard Clopton

"He who begins by loving Christianity better than truth, will proceed by loving his own sect or church better than Christianity, and end in loving himself better than all." -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge

"I've steered clear of God. He was an incredible sadist." -- John Collier

"Some reputed saints that have been canonized ought to have been cannonaded." -- Charles Caleb Colton

"Men will wrangle for religion, write for it, fight for it, die for it, anything but -- live for it." -- Charles Caleb Colton

"He that dies a martyr proves that he was not a knave, but by no means that he was not a fool." -- Charles Caleb Colton

"If revealed religions have revealed anything it is that they are usually wrong." -- Francis Crick

"Some of you say religion makes people happy. So does laughing gas." -- Clarence Darrow

"Missionaries are perfect nuisances and leave every place worse than they found it." -- Charles Dickens

"If there is a supreme being, he's crazy." -- Marlene Dietrich

"The sacrifice of Diogenes to all the gods." -- Diogenes (after crushing lice between his fingers)

"It is no accident that the symbol of a bishop is a crook, and the sign of an archbishop is a double-cross." -- Gregory Dix

"I prayed for twenty years but received no answer until I prayed with my legs." -- Frederick Douglass

"A dream is a scripture, and many scriptures are nothing but dreams." -- Umberto Eco

"The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"If the gods listened to the prayers of men, all humankind would quickly perish since they constantly pray for many evils to befall one another." -- Epicurus

"Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon." -- Susan Ertz

"Many a long dispute among divines may be thus abridged: It is so; It is not so. It is so; it is not so." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." -- Benjamin Franklin

"I don't see any god up here." -- Yuri Gagarin (first person to orbit the earth)

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -- Galileo

"Many religious beliefs decline as education level rises." -- George Gallup, Jr.

"There exists no politician in India daring enough to attempt to explain to the masses that cows can be eaten." -- Indira Gandhi

"Do you think I am superstitious? I am a super-atheist." -- Mohandas K Gandhi

"... a local, indigenous, American bizarre-ity." -- Stephen Jay Gould (describing Christian creationism)

"I would like to call your attention to ... an evil that, if allowed to continue, will probably lead to great trouble.... It is the accumulation of vast amounts of untaxed church property." -- Ulysses S Grant
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:34 pm
"Anyone who can worship a trinity and insist that his religion is a monotheism can believe anything ... just give him time to rationalize it." -- Robert A Heinlein

"Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power." -- Eric Hoffer

"If the ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, the knowledge of nature is calculated to destroy them." -- Baron d'Holbach

"Can theology give to the mind the ineffable boon of conceiving that which no man is in a capacity to comprehend? Can it procure to its agents the marvellous faculty of having precise ideas of a god composed of so many contradictory qualities?" -- Baron d'Holbach

"The man who is always worrying about whether or not his soul would be damned generally has a soul that isn't worth a damn." -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

"Alas for the rarity / Of Christian charity / Under the sun!" -- Thomas Hood

"Martyrs and persecutors are the same type of man. As to which is the persecutor and which the martyr, this is only a question of transient power." -- Elbert Hubbard

"The slayers of the heretics are the worst heretics of all." -- Balthasar Huebmaier

"We can be the optimist who brightly says, "This is the best of all possible worlds," or the pessimist who gloomily nods his head and says, 'How true.'" -- Nicolas Humphrey

"Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful." -- Aldous Huxley

(These one-liners come together quite nicely.) "The man who does not do his own thinking is a slave, and is a traitor to himself and to his fellow-men." "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge." "As long as every question is answered by the word "God," scientific inquiry is simply impossible." "Every pulpit is a pillory, in which stands a hired culprit, defending the justice of his own imprisonment." "I would not for my life destroy one star of human hope, but I want it so that when a poor woman rocks the cradle and sings a lullaby to the dimpled darling, she will not be compelled to believe that ninety-nine chances in a hundred she is raising kindling wood for hell." "Nothing could add to the horror of hell, except the presence of its creator, God." "In the presence of death I affirm and reaffirm the truth of all that I have said against the superstitions of the world. I would say that much on the subject with my last breath." -- Robert Ingersoll

"Don't use that foreign word ideals. We have that excellent native word lies." -- Henrik Ibsen

"It was then that I began to look into the seams of your doctrine. I wanted only to pick at a single knot; but when I had got that undone, the whole thing raveled out. And then I understood that it was all machine-sewn." -- Henrik Ibsen

"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others." -- Jesus, Matthew 6:5

"I believe in the American tradition of separation of church and state which is expressed in the First Amendment to the Constitution." -- Lyndon B. Johnson

"Truth, Sir, is a cow which will yield such people no more milk, and so they are gone to milk the bull." -- Samuel Johnson

"Secularists are often wrongly accused of trying to purge religious ideals from public discourse. We simply want to deny them public sponsorship." -- Wendy Kaminer

"He who has made great moral progress ceases to pray." -- Immanuel Kant

"Whatever one's religion in his private life may be, for the officeholder, nothing takes precedence over his oath to uphold the Constitution and all its parts -- including the First Amendment and the strict separation of church and state." -- John F. Kennedy

"Fools, your reward is neither here nor there." -- Omar Khayyam (scoffing at those who seek heaven)

"When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." -- Sinclair Lewis

"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them" -- Abraham Lincoln, three years before being assassinated. "In religion, Mr. Lincoln was about of the same opinion as... [Robert] Ingersoll, and there is no account of his ever having changed" -- Judge James M. Nelson.

"Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods." -- Lucretius

"The nature of the universe has by no means been made through divine power, seeing how great are the faults that mar it." -- Lucretius

"Globed from the atoms falling slow or swift / I see the suns, I see the systems lift / Their forms; and even the systems and the suns / Shall go back slowly to the eternal drift." -- Lucretius
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 07:08 pm
People with Gods kill people.
People without Gods kill people.
The true God wants people who don't kill people. (Isaiah 2:4)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 12:54 am
Why should I practice what you preach?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 12:55 am
I think, therefore I don't believe in ghosts.
0 Replies