The Kobe Debacle

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:30 pm
Snood, I'm just saying I'm pissed at him. He's not MY idol, I'm saying Jordan is HIS idol. (I'm pissed at Jordan, too.)

I just re-read and saw that the way I phrased it was confusing -- I meant that Clinton may have thought "Hey, my idol [Kennedy] did it, and everyone still lionizes him, so..." and that Kobe may have thought something similar.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:33 pm
I'm saying "pissed for what?" I'm only disappointed in anything in life proportional to my expectations. why should Kobe Bryant be worthy of anyone's disappointment?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:35 pm
I'd be pissed at you, I'd be pissed at anyone I know or know of. I think it's a dumb thing to do. It's not, like, taking up a big chunk of my psyche.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:35 pm
Maybe it's just a chick thing, snood.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:38 pm
Well, I can relate, Soz. I still root for the guy to get the girl in dramas, and for estranged couples to get together and live happily ever after.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:38 pm
I've known lots of guys who get pissed about that, too. As much as anything else that's stupid and classless. I know a guy who wouldn't speak to a bandmate for several months because that bandmate had an affair while his wife was pregnant.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:39 pm
Yep, I root for 'em too.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:43 pm
Are you as pissed at the girl, who still might be a scheming groupie, for all we know?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:44 pm
If she was single, no. If she was cheating on a spouse too, yeah.

Seems more disrespectful to say that men are somehow constitutionally unable to resist than to blame the guy.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:45 pm
Just trying to stay objective, in the absence of verifiable fact.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:47 pm
I'm equally pissed at anyone who cheats on their spouse or significant other, regardless of gender. Note, "cheats" -- if its consensual, open relationship, that kind of thing, whatever.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:49 pm
Most guys I know see it as panties flying around his head 24-7, which is true, so it's not about his infidelity at all. That comes with the territory. But when it comes down to it, that IS a very big part of the immediate pissedness. If he wasn't in the habit of cheating on his wife then this incident would never have happened. Now, if it turns out that he really did force himself on this woman, which I, for one, highly doubt, than that's a whole different ballgame. It's no longer about infidelity. Then it's about him being violent and a menace.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:50 pm
Waitaminute - if she is lying (a real possibility-not about the sex, but about the nature of the encounter), you're okay with that?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:52 pm
Yeah snood, there is always the possibility that this chick saw him coming and decided, that night, to go for the gold but Kobe SHOULD'VE KNOWN BETTER!!! How many guys have to go throught this kind of **** before they wise up?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:56 pm
Okay, let's be real, then - how many frikkin guys have to withstand beautiful, young, willing women throwing themselves at him all the time? How honest are we being with ourselves if we are saying that in today's world, we would bet money that ANY guy would be able to withstand that indefinitely - no matter HOW supposedly "savvy" the guy is supposed to be?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 10:02 pm
I dunno. My husband would say that it's disrespectful of men to assume that they can't resist when they want to.

I guess it's possible that when he got engaged to his wife he said, "Look, groupies come with the territory, so I just can't make any promises to fidelity. That OK with you?" If she said "yes", I have no gripe.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 10:05 pm
All due respect, Soz, but you're trying to attribute "Waltons" morals to a "90210" reality, IMO. And don't get me wrong, I wish everyone was as trusting and loyal as you and your husband.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 10:10 pm
I'm just saying what would and wouldn't piss me off, personally. People piss me off all the time, and that's their right. Failing to resist groupies because, c'mon, who can resist? is not a valid excuse in my book. No biggie.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 10:18 pm
Gee, I feel like I'm butting in on you two. Y'all have a real conversation going here.
What I hate most of all is the media frenzy. He may be a brute, she may be a skank, but the media will take sides and somebody's gonna get burned at the stake, with or without concrete evidence.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 10:20 pm
I agree, eoe.

You started this branch of the conversation, actually.
0 Replies