The Kobe Debacle

Sofia

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:00 pm
snood--anybody interested--

I haven't been able to find the evidence that convicted him, but I did find that two other women have accused him of rape since then, and he wasn't arrested or anything.

Still looking.

dys--
I think if you can find witnesses that put them together, the woman has bruises or evidence of assault--and she goes to the police or a hospital right afterwards-- this is a more impressive case of sexual assault. Is it foolproof? Nah. Some people like it rough. I wouldn't want to be on a jury for one of these cases.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:02 pm
Likewise, to whoever's interested - there's a Primetime Live story about the Kobe thing on ABC right now.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:04 pm
actually sofia i am skeptical on both sides of this but us cowboys aren't very bright Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:06 pm
I'm doubtful all around, also. I gotta admit to piqued interest in this because I've never liked Kobe.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:18 pm
I'm very fond of cowboys.
Especially if they're wearing boots.
But, you knew that. Cool

This whole thing is starting to bother me. I hate to think how hard it would be to prove I was raped. I guess it does come down to one person's word against another's. Sexual assault without rape would be even harder to prove.

Confused
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:22 pm
I've never been that fond of Kobe either - arrogant and snobbish; a Laker to boot. But, he is good. I'm waiting for the evidence. I'm pretty sure there is a buyout going on right now - pay up, shut up and go on about business!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 06:40 am
D.A. to announce if charges to be filled at 3 p.m. MDT today
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 08:18 am
BillW wrote:
I've never been that fond of Kobe either - arrogant and snobbish; a Laker to boot. But, he is good. I'm waiting for the evidence. I'm pretty sure there is a buyout going on right now - pay up, shut up and go on about business!

True! Big bucks wins. Until the next time! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:15 am
One thing is for sure, Kobe's image will never be the same. There will always be this little tag added to his name whenever he is mentioned, from now on!

If not actually there, then mentally edited.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:11 pm
Well, the announcement was just made - Class 3 sexual assault (felony). The first thing that crossed my mind was that if there was penetration and the woman says it was involuntary, how could someone prove consent?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:23 pm
Y'know what? I think the woman came to his room and engaged in some mutually consenting lust, and then got her feelings hurt when Kobe finished, and then decided he was really finished with her all together. Just a gut feeling; I have no logical basis.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:28 pm
Just reported KNBC - Los Angeles:

Kobe's wife just released a statement saying to the effect that "my husband is guilty of adultry, but he is not a criminal. This is something we will deal with in our marraige."
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:31 pm
snood wrote:
Well, the announcement was just made - Class 3 sexual assault (felony). The first thing that crossed my mind was that if there was penetration and the woman says it was involuntary, how could someone prove consent?

It's tough to prove consent under those sort of circumstances. It becomes he said, she said, but the court might allow evidence of (assuming this is the case) a lack of physical harm. That doesn't necessarily mean there was consent, but it does bolster a claim of it.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:31 pm
A "Class 3 Felony" has a penalty of 4 years to life.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:33 pm
OR 20 years to life probation.....
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:39 pm
I would think they went ahead and charged him because of other strong physical evidence of force/restraint like bruises, etc. Weren't therereports of yelling or screaming coming from the room? Perhaps there was evidence of a struggle in the room.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:43 pm
Koby was charged with felony sexual assault. As jespah said, it's going to be very difficult to claim consent in this case.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:55 pm
It seems it would equally difficult to prove consent, ot the lack of consent.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 03:59 pm
It's gonna be a tough one for the jury.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 04:04 pm
I bet all this makes bush and crew delirious with joy.
0 Replies