Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,004 • Replies: 161
No top replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 01:13 pm
Re: Federal ID: The "Real-ID" ?
USAFHokie80 wrote:
I read this today and was wondering what everyone else though of it

http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/news/2007/05/real_id

The Real ID act is just a way to allow the govt to control individuals and clamp down on their freedoms. ALready some states have been resisting; which is good.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:03 pm
Sounds like a useless waste of money. Would requiring a birth certificate to get a drivers license really be that big of an obstacle to criminals? My birth certificate looks like it would have been pretty easy to forge.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 08:49 pm
Revelation 13 wrote:

Then I saw another beast, coming out of the earth. He had two horns like a lamb, but he spoke like a dragon. He exercised all the authority of the first beast on his behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed. And he performed great and miraculous signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to earth in full view of men.

Because of the signs he was given power to do on behalf of the first beast, he deceived the inhabitants of the earth. He ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived. He was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that it could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.

He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.

This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:04 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Revelation 13 wrote:

Then I saw another beast, coming out of the earth. He had two horns like a lamb, but he spoke like a dragon. He exercised all the authority of the first beast on his behalf, and made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast, whose fatal wound had been healed. And he performed great and miraculous signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to earth in full view of men.

Because of the signs he was given power to do on behalf of the first beast, he deceived the inhabitants of the earth. He ordered them to set up an image in honor of the beast who was wounded by the sword and yet lived. He was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that it could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.

He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.

This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666.

This could be the ultimate Pay-per-View Event

The Mark of the Beast VS. The US Constitution.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:35 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Revelation 13 wrote:

I'm actually surprised it took this long for the universal ID as "Mark of the Beast" argument to pop up. I don't mock you, but mythology won't help us understand our social reality. At least, not until the gov't starts requiring people to have a mark or implant in order to conduct commerce, then I'm right there with you. :wink:

However, if we choose to interpret a national ID as a forerunner of the Mark, then wouldn't that make George W. Bush the Antichrist? Or perhaps Cheney?
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 09:42 pm
Mills75 wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:
Revelation 13 wrote:

I'm actually surprised it took this long for the universal ID as "Mark of the Beast" argument to pop up. I don't mock you, but mythology won't help us understand our social reality. At least, not until the gov't starts requiring people to have a mark or implant in order to conduct commerce, then I'm right there with you. :wink:

However, if we choose to interpret a national ID as a forerunner of the Mark, then wouldn't that make George W. Bush the Antichrist? Or perhaps Cheney?

the eventual plan is for them to digitize your money and implant RFID under your skin.. In this scenario, at big brother's whim your money could be turned 'off' preventing you from buying or selling
I think it makes the NWO the Anti-Christ
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 10:20 pm
We live in a society of mostly good people but in which there are enough irresponsible and dangerous people to be of concern. And nobody is able to live out their lives in their own small community any more. Every bank transaction, credit card purchase, phone call, etc. etc. etc. is out there on the internet or on the airways and in danger of intercept by people in the next state or next country or across the world. And our society is mobile to an unprecedented extent.

To me a national ID makes very good sense to a) make sure child molesters and similar ilk aren't able to slip under the radar by changing locales; b) make it more difficult for convicted drunk drivers to buy alcohol; c) better ability to identify those in the country illegally; d) better protection against I.D. theft and no doubt many other purposes I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 10:21 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
We live in a society of mostly good people but in which there are enough irresponsible and dangerous people to be of concern. And nobody is able to live out their lives in their own small community any more. Every bank transaction, credit card purchase, phone call, etc. etc. etc. is out there on the internet or on the airways and in danger of intercept by people in the next state or next country or across the world. And our society is mobile to an unprecedented extent.

To me a national ID makes very good sense to a) make sure child molesters and similar ilk aren't able to slip under the radar by changing locales; b) make it more difficult for convicted drunk drivers to buy alcohol; c) better ability to identify those in the country illegally; d) better protection against I.D. theft and no doubt many other purposes I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

For the Real ID act it has been recommended that there be checkpoints where you would have to stop to show your papers.

Vere ah ur papers?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 10:23 pm
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 10:35 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

I hope youre right.

But Im always conscious of this quote:

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 May, 2007 11:32 pm
Richard Saunders wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I hope youre right.

But Im always conscious of this quote:

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.

Ronald Reagan

Ronald Reagan was one of my favorite lifetime people and the president I respected most. But in his day you could still float checks between bank accounts and identify theft was so uncommon most people hadn't even heard of it. National data bases were not available to the common person on the street; the personal computer was in its infancy as was the worldwide web.

We now live in a world in which the bad guys are more mobile than ever before in history and in which virtually unlimited information moves at the speed of light. Such a world simply requires different ways of doing business.

I am a fan of the Cato Institute that presents a more libertarian point of view about things and, the last time I looked, they were still opposed to a national ID card. But how long will we remain free in a nation that cannot protect its citizens and/or that does not or cannot enforce its laws? No victim of identify theft can say s/he is free.

It just seems to me that a national ID card would not take away any freedoms and could provide better security for us all. But I could be missing some very real problems with it too. So I'll be watching comments from those more learned than myself on this one.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 05:10 am
Quote:

But how long will we remain free in a nation that cannot protect its citizens and/or that does not or cannot enforce its laws?

This history of the US disproves this argument.

We have been free for 230 years. There have ALWAYS been laws that we haven't enforced or couldn't enforce. We have still remained a free country.

Do you know what happened to prohibition?
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:27 am
What is your Social Security number if not a national I.D. number. You say that no one but you know it. Well I received a call from a credit card co. wanting me to take their card and they were able to give me my number in a roundabout fashion. I don't see anything wrong with a national I.D.card when the government already has all the information most people think is secret.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:38 am
There is a basic contradiction in your argument rabel. If the National ID card doesn't make a difference, then why should we go through the trouble and expense to make one?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:46 am
Richard Saunders wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

For the Real ID act it has been recommended that there be checkpoints where you would have to stop to show your papers.

Vere ah ur papers?

"Recommended" by whom? I have yet to see anyone "recommend" checkpoints (other than the existing security checkpoints at airports and such...). The uber-paranoid have suggested that they could be a possibility but no one in any position of authority or with half a brain has suggested it as any sort of reality.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:47 am
Firstly, the "mark of the beast" argument.... bullshit. There's really nothing more to say about that one. Except, maybe, that I find it irritating that one cannot talk about any-thing-at-all without some righteous person throwing religion all in it.

People keep saying that having a national ID is going to make them slaves or let the govt control them and whatnot... But no one has ever said HOW. We do not live in olden Germany. I think most any rational person realizes that something like that could not occur in America today. And if it does, that's why we have all those gun-nuts. :-)

Whoever said that DMVs are currently linked... is plain wrong. Some states do share information with the neighboring ones, but it is extraordinarily rare. In either case, Va does not know about my tickets in Mo.

Foxy has some good points. I think limiting the amount of alcohol a repeating DUI-er can buy is a great idea. Requiring the ID for all sales of firearms, to make sure the buyer isn't a felon or crazy like Cho. (I graduated from Va Tech just a few years ago, btw).

As someone already said, the information is out there. It is already available. The whole idea is to make it more contiguous and standardized.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 07:49 am
ebrown_p wrote:
There is a basic contradiction in your argument rabel. If the National ID card doesn't make a difference, then why should we go through the trouble and expense to make one?

That has to be one of the worst arguments I've ever read. "It might not work, so let's not even try." If we followed your reasoning, we'd all still be living in caves.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:01 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
Firstly, the "mark of the beast" argument.... bullshit. There's really nothing more to say about that one. Except, maybe, that I find it irritating that one cannot talk about any-thing-at-all without some righteous person throwing religion all in it.

People keep saying that having a national ID is going to make them slaves or let the govt control them and whatnot... But no one has ever said HOW. We do not live in olden Germany. I think most any rational person realizes that something like that could not occur in America today. And if it does, that's why we have all those gun-nuts. :-)

Whoever said that DMVs are currently linked... is plain wrong. Some states do share information with the neighboring ones, but it is extraordinarily rare. In either case, Va does not know about my tickets in Mo.

Foxy has some good points. I think limiting the amount of alcohol a repeating DUI-er can buy is a great idea. Requiring the ID for all sales of firearms, to make sure the buyer isn't a felon or crazy like Cho. (I graduated from Va Tech just a few years ago, btw).

As someone already said, the information is out there. It is already available. The whole idea is to make it more contiguous and standardized.

You should watch the movie 'America: From Freedom to Fascism'

They explain it pretty well.
0 Replies

Richard Saunders

Reply Thu 3 May, 2007 08:03 am
fishin wrote:
Richard Saunders wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Vere ah ur papers?

"Recommended" by whom? I have yet to see anyone "recommend" checkpoints (other than the existing security checkpoints at airports and such...). The uber-paranoid have suggested that they could be a possibility but no one in any position of authority or with half a brain has suggested it as any sort of reality.

It's evidently either in the legislation, or being discussed as follow up legislation. Congressman Ron Paul talked about it.
0 Replies