BARBEQUE SEASON IS NIGH_needalittle help

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 02:34 pm
I ain't got a clue what you're talkin' about . . .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:26 pm
All Sidharji men carry these curved knives called Gurkas. They must draw blood if they draw the knife. I was wondering if butchering counts. Didnt mean to do a spendius on ya.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:32 pm
That would be the Sikhs to whom you refer. Although they are from the Punjab, not all Punjabis are Sikhs. They wear a ceremonial dagger known as a kirpan, which derives from a requirement laid upon them in the 17th century by a Sikh Guru that they never appear in public unless they were wearing their hair uncut, a wooden comb, an iron bracelet, special underwear (i **** you not) and a "strapped sword," the kirpan. Life being what it is, the kirpan has degenerated from a sword to a dagger, and it has become a ceremonial symbol. There was a case in Canadia a few years back in which a Sikh kid was tossed from school because he showed up wearing his kirpan, and the Canadian Supreme Court eventually decided it was OK for him to wear the kirpan to school.

Anytime you eat Indian food and it includes lamb, goat or chicken, you can bet it was prepared by either a Punjabi or a Bengali, because Hindus don't even want to see meat, much less touch it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:39 pm
By the way, i've never heard of "Sidharji"--but there are tribesmen in the Punjab near Pakistan known as Sardarji . . .

A Sardarji comes up to the Pakistan border on his bike. He's got two large bags over his shoulders.

The guard Iqbal stops him and says, 'What's in the bags?' 'Sand,' answered the Sardarji.

Iqbal says, 'We'll just see about that. Get off the bike.'

Iqbal's guard takes the bags and rips them apart, he empties them out and finds nothing in them but sand. He detains the Sardarji all night and has the sand analyzed, only to discover that there is nothing but pure sand in the bags. Iqbal releases the Sardaji, puts the sand into new bags, hefts them onto the Sardarji's shoulders, and lets him cross the border.

A week later, the same thing happens. Iqbal asks, 'What have you got?' 'Sand,' says the Sardarji.

Iqbal does his thorough examination and discovers that the bags contain nothing but sand. He gives the sand back to the Sardar, and crosses the border on his bike. This sequence of events is repeated every day for three years.

Finally, the Sardarji doesn't show up one day and the guard, Iqbal, meets him in a 'Dhaba' in Islamabad.

'Hey, Buddy,' says Iqbal, 'I know you are smuggling something. It's driving me crazy. It's all I think about...I can't sleep. Just between you and me, what are you smuggling?'

The Sardaji sips his Lassi and says, 'Bikes'
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 03:41 pm
OK, a little search and i found out that the Sikhs are also referred to as the Sardar, or Sardarji . . . now we're on the same page . . .
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 04:12 pm
Bone Dust BBQ Spice:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup chili powder
3 tbsp salt
2 tbsp each: ground coriander, garlic powder, granulated sugar, curry powder, hot mustard powder
1 tbsp each: black pepper, dried basil, dried thyme, ground cumin, cayenne

Can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

This rub is used in a recipe for "Root Beer Ribs" from a cookbook called "Sticky Fingers".

Pork baby back ribs are rubbed with this spice mix then baked in a 325F oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours on a bed of sliced onion and garlic to which has been added 6 cups of root beer (or Dr. Pepper, or apple juice if you're being healthy Laughing ) Finish up on a hot grill with a little BBQ sauce (or not -- it's good just browned up dry.)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 06:34 pm
Up until I saw your post, Tai Chi, I was going to say "Am I the only female braving this thread"... glad to see you.

I am not a fan of salt, myself. I think it's used too much and often to no good or useful purpose. But a good rub of spices and maybe an herb or two can do wonders. I'm sure he'll find lots of those on foodtv.com and other sites.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 09:13 pm
Although Ive worked with Sadarjhis, I guess I never learned to spell it correctly. (Hey thats normal for me anyway). The ghurka was the name of the knife that was a term they used . The cut down version of a scimitar like shape , but was a smaller version. .I knew about the underwear thing , it was explained to me in great detail . As well as the carefully manicured hair and beard. Many of the men wore like hair nets and had these huge elaborate moustaches. One of the guys I had on staff was an MIT trained PhD chemical engineer with special talent in nuclear liquid wste processing. He was so good that We were working for one of the National Nuke labs and he reconstructed the plants chem process just from knowing everything that was in their waste stream. We then got visited and were given very strict direction about all this from the FBI. All of our plans and reports were then given an eyes only status.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 09:17 pm
Thanks Tai and yes, Mame, I too feel that salt is an overused substance. Meat flavor need not be turned into a wedge of salt by the rub. I do add some , but Ive cut most recipes by 2/3 and it hasnt affected the taste at all.
I want the meat and the spices to come through.

I do like a Garam masala, and although it has some cumin, the cumin is subdued by the cinnamon and corainder and cardamom.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 08:27 am
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup sea salt finally ground
1/4 cup sugar (ground raw sugar)
2 tblspn mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup ground cumin
2 tblspn ground black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 tblspoon hot ceyene powder
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 03:10 pm
Thats a lotta salt reverend.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 25 Apr, 2007 05:27 pm
My Favourite Chicken Wings:

Marinate wings in: 2 tsp paprika, 2 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp onion salt, 1 tsp garlic salt, and 1/2 tsp each s & p

Sauce: 1 T. vinegar, 4 T. butter, and 10 T. hot sauce.

These are deep fried, but can be baked or barbecued, too, I would imagine.

Here's a Pretty Good Steak Marinade:

Mix: 2 Tbsp each of: soya sauce, balsamic vinegar, Lee & Perrins, Olive Oil, plus 2 tsp Dijon, 2 cloves of garlic and pepper.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 07:18 am
farmerman wrote:
Thats a lotta salt reverend.

Its just the right amount of salt Wink

trust me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2007 10:40 am
Reverend--That was always the problem with many of the rubs, they are mostly salt and the meat flavor suffers. You a barbequer ? I spendmost of my summer barbequing and grilling. And when Im not doin it, we are always driving around looking for some good barbeque.

In Maine, they dont kno **** about barbeque but they make a "beanhole" baked bean dish that involves building a huge fire in a pit, then , when the coals are glowing , place a huge iron pot of beans , molasses, ketchup, other stuff, (onions, garlic) and then buryin the whole thing (lid on the pot) for about 8 hours. Its a weekend party thing but goes with lobsters and cole slaw.

The rule is, I can eat lobster maybe one day a week (its very rich), but I could live on good barbeque.

Oh yeh, welcome to A2K
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 12:14 am
I don't remember where this one came from. I found it somewhere when we first started smoking a few years ago. Very little salt.

Pork Rub

8 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
4 tbsp dried thyme
4 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp grond coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp kosher salt
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 12:19 am
This one comes from "The Smoke Ring".

Jim Goode's BBQ Beef Rub. Works for pork, as well.

2 1/2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tbsp paprika
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp basil
1 tsp ground bay leaves
3/4 tsp coriander
3/4 tsp ground savory
3/4 tsp dried thyme
3/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
3/4 tsp white pepper
1/8 tsp ground cumin
Salt to taste
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 04:25 am
thanks mckenzie. Those look like they might have possibilities . I can build from them.

IMAGINE, Im taking barbeque advice from a CANAJUN.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 09:16 am
farmerman wrote:
Reverend--That was always the problem with many of the rubs, they are mostly salt and the meat flavor suffers. You a barbequer ? I spendmost of my summer barbequing and grilling. And when Im not doin it, we are always driving around looking for some good barbeque.

Sure do. My current "pit" at home is an XL Big Green egg Use Wicked good lump charcoal and make all my rubs and sauces and collect my own hickory and applewood chunks for smoking.

I also have a homemade pig cooker that can hold up to 100lb hog.....

So I do a little Q now and then you can say. Laughing

You are absolutly right about the rubs. Commercial rubs have much to much salt in it. The above rub has about 1/2 the salt of your comercial rubs and when used correctly really brings out the flavor of the meat and facilitates an excellent "bark" on the meat.

Quote:

In Maine, they dont kno **** about barbeque but they make a "beanhole" baked bean dish that involves building a huge fire in a pit, then , when the coals are glowing , place a huge iron pot of beans , molasses, ketchup, other stuff, (onions, garlic) and then buryin the whole thing (lid on the pot) for about 8 hours. Its a weekend party thing but goes with lobsters and cole slaw.

The rule is, I can eat lobster maybe one day a week (its very rich), but I could live on good barbeque.

That does sound good. Two years ago we buried a pig Hawaiian style.... The wife bought me the egg as a deal not to dig big pits in the yard again....

Quote:

Oh yeh, welcome to A2K

thanks!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 12:29 pm
Reverend, I took your recipe down in size and it seemed ok.(I usually only do a pork butt or shoulder as the largets cut) or maybe 2 large slabs of ribs , beef is usually a brisket. I dont do a whole hog. My neighbor raises hogs and has a few that are really friendly. I dont think I could eat one of them. Ive eaten a whole hog barbeque and everybody acts like cannibals. Its disgraceful good.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 02:46 pm
To me the very best meat is pork and pulled pork is next to Devilish-Godliness. BUT I have given up all barbecuing and grilling. What I like the best is the most dangerous part, the black char on meat. It's been about 10 years now since I gave up the habit. I would, violate my health and moral rules to indulge in tugged-upon swine with Farmerman and adultrous sex with ____________.
0 Replies