Is Your Place of Work Closed For Easter? Good Friday?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:59 am
Today and Easter Monday are public holidays here (as in most European countries).

Besides that, Easter is in the middle of the annual ... Easter holidays (between two and three weeks).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:09 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
At my job, they remain open as per normal, but we each take turns having a day off. I am the only one off today.

I once worked in a place that did the same thing. The Christians would take Good Friday off, and the Jews would stay home on Yom Kippur. Worked very well.

I like doing it this way.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 06:50 am
jespah wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa.

An explanation/observation.

Anyone who wants Passover off is an idiot. I say this as a person who observes Passover. It is 8 days long and the celebrations are at night, and generally only for the first two nights, which are already done. Pack a freakin' matzoh-based lunch like the rest of us and get over it.

However, an Easter Egg hunt is definitely a celebration of a religious holiday. That holiday being, of course, Easter. Not Spring. Not the Equinox. Easter. The holiday that centers around Christ's death and resurrection. For those of us who do not believe in Christ (not just Jews, but also Hindus, Buddhists, etc.), this is not our holiday and an Easter Egg hunt, while charming, is not our celebration. BTW, I don't expect you to hold a seder for my benefit and I certainly don't expect to hold a seder and tell you that you should participate because it's festive or whatnot, or instead of your Easter celebrations. Come over for a meal if you wish, and you might have fun, but make no mistake, it's not to celebrate the Equinox and it's not a consolation prize for not celebrating Easter. It's to celebrate Jews escaping from Egyptian slavery.

Now, BTW, I'm in a funky situation. The company where I am contracted to has the day off. Why? It's not for religious reasons. It's because the financial markets are closed (should the financial markets be closed? Probably not, but go after the NY Stock Exchange if that bugs you). However, the company where I actually work, the one that signs my paychecks, does not have the day off. Therefore, I'm going to my company's home office location and I'll be attending a class today, instead of going to the financial services company. I was offered the option of working at home, but I don't have a multi-gig Oracle database running out of my spare room so, no go. Hence it's an education day for me.

I definitely sympathize. These days can be crazy-making. Some want the day off, some don't, some want other days off, etc. Do you celebrate or not? Do you decorate or not? If you do nothing, the work place is just a sterile and sour place to work. If you do something, is it enough? Is anyone offended? Does it look like you're endorsing one group over another? Does the majority rule? Do you try to include those who are left out, or just give them the day off? Is that okay, since a day off is a valuable perk?

I have my own ideas of how to handle it but the upshot, of course, is that I don't know the people you work with so I can't say. Someone, inevitably, is going to be offended or disappointed. I guess the trick is to try to minimize the disappointment levels in whatever way seems best to you and your company.

An Easter Bunny is a Pagan Spring ritual incorporated into Easter to pacify Pagans, just like the chistmas tree and is a symbol of what has become a secular holiday, again, just like Christmas. Did squinney mention that the people wanting the Easter Egg because (theri words) they are "christians" are going to do it during church service hours? Freaking idiots.

well let them lay plastic eggs down in dog piss stained grass on the green
and I'm sure Jesus will absolutely bask in their humble worship.
Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:01 am
Easter eggs in church services are know since the Middle Ages and around 1550 they were "consecrated" in churches.

The funny thing is that historically (and traditionally) God Friday is the more sacred festive day (liturically) for the Evangelicals/Protestants, while Easter it is for Catholics/Orthodoxs/Anglicans.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 07:43 am
As jespah said the New York Stock Exchange is closed today (Good Friday) and since I work in the mutual fund industry we follow the NYSE schedule so I am off.

I love having Good Friday off since most people and businesses are open. I had the kids dentist appointment this morning, went to the P.O and thought I was going to the bank, but some one mentioned banks may be closed. Great day for stuff like that.

As my daughter goes to a Christian school, there is no question that they get Good Friday off. I attended public school and remember always having Good Friday off.

As Easter is on Sunday, my office is closed any way.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 08:56 am
I don't easter eggs hunts are a religious activity at all! Easter is religious, yes. But easter egg hunts? No.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:01 am
Not religious but historically part of the (religious) ceremonies at Easter.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:45 am
Well the bank in my area was open - just did my banking. And the library too was open stopped there.

Now my kids are fighting and screaming - I'm having a good day!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 09:50 am
Our office closed this afternoon at 1 PM. And we have Monday off.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:06 am
I have never in my life had the Friday or Monday around Easter off -- from school or work. Mo has school today and Monday. Mr. B is working today and Monday. Frankly, I'm a little stunned to hear all this.

I really need to get out more.

I know this doesn't help with your problem at all, squinney, but wow. Weird.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 10:39 am
in ontario most places of business - and certainly government offices Laughing - are closed .
ii see that the new york stock exchange is closed but the chicago mercantile is going full blast ! (somebody has to keep the wheels of commerce going :wink: ) .
hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:07 am
Squinney--

Get the approval of the Powers that Be and tell each and every one of these helpful people who want to do holiday planning that an advisory committee is being formed and their opinions will be particularly valuable for organizing future holidays.

Get the committee to elect its own officers--including someone who will give you reports and updates in writing. After all, this is an advisory committee and you can't be expected to sit on a committee to advise yourself.

I bet the structure fizzles by next Easter--if it ever gets off the ground.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:21 am
Oh, boy! When I need an organizational genius, I'm calling Noddy.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:40 am
Noddy! Laughing

Perfect. Just as my social committee has fizzled, and just as many wanted the egg hunt but didn't want to actually "Do" it, I'm sure you are right. The main complainants regarding being closed for the weekend 1) are all Jewish, 2) don't have anything they want to do in the facilities this weekend so I'm not sure why it matters and 3) wait until after the fact to complain nothing was done for Passover, Yom Kippur, Chanukah, etc. rather than organizing / doing something for it or even asking to use the clubhouse for it.

For the Jewish participants here, I'm not even sure what that segment of the community in which I work wants. One resident suggested I should celebrate every religious holiday. One sent the following e-mail along with the schedule of federal holidays:

Quote:
I would expect then that if this is the calendar the community follows ...either a closing or celebration for all of the above. I may be mistaken, but I do not remember this being the case.

Additionally, If the States and Congress may designate holidays for their employees, then this community could if it wished to do so could certainly choose to be more inclusive and representative of its entire population.

What does that mean? To me, inclusive means doing general events, like Spring Celebrations, rather than an Easter Egg Hunt. Isn't that inclusive? But, they seem to be saying that I should do events for easter AND passover AND Break the Fast for Yom Kippur, AND Kwanza, Hindu, Buddhist etc. events.

What am I missing here? Inclusive to me means NOT doing religious celebrations. They seem to think it means doing something for everyone, and not doing so is exclusive.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 11:44 am
squinney wrote:
Quote:
then this community could if it wished to do so could certainly choose to be more inclusive and representative of its entire population.

perhaps that member of the community could put together a formal proposal of what the community could consider including - and then you can give members of the community the opportunity to organize events which represent their population

<buncha doorknobs>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:20 pm
Roger--

Thanks.

Squinney--

That's a person you want on your committee--possibly as chair. S/he could certainly be the person to whom you refer disgruntled residents.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:40 pm
solved all those problems of what days to designate as "official" holiday some twenty years ago .
i declared every day of the year to be an "official" holiday !
oh yes , i should mention , i decided to retire first Very Happy
hbg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 04:06 pm
squinney wrote:
....What am I missing here? Inclusive to me means NOT doing religious celebrations. They seem to think it means doing something for everyone, and not doing so is exclusive.

You need to hire some people who practice Santeria. Or Rasta. Then you'll see how inclusive it all gets. :wink:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 07:54 am
At this point I'm thinking I might become a Rasta myself. Very Happy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2007 08:06 am
No. I'm not working, but that's just the co-incidence of my roster. It's got nothing to do with easter.
0 Replies