Is Your Place of Work Closed For Easter? Good Friday?

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:14 pm
osso, I long ago gave up highlighting my grammatical/spelling screw ups. I've decided to let the tone speak for itself and the tone of your post speaks clearly.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:14 pm
I'm off! Yeah!

ah, aren't the banks and post offices closed for Good Friday?
hmm, I can never keep that all straight.
Well, I know the stores are open and I have errands to run.

Three day weekend for me!

And, yes, you can't please everyone at the same time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:18 pm
Tico wrote:
I think (but could be corrected) that most places in Canada are closed on Good Friday, as a statutory holiday, but open on Easter Monday. Except government offices, which get both days. Banks will be closed tomorrow, but I'm sure about Monday, because they can only be closed for 2 days in a row. Public schools get both days off, but secondary and post-secondary schools only get Friday off. I think.

Most banks will be closed on Monday - they're open Saturday, so it's closed Friday, open Saturday, closed Sunday, closed Monday - or so I was told earlier today.

Nothin's open tomorrow except for a couple of emergency pharmacies and gas stations.

No mail from today's deliveries until Tuesday.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:23 pm
Had it been a handful, it would have rolled. I've probably dealt with a hundred phone calls, e-mails and stop bys in 4 days.

If they stated their opinion and went on, I could let it roll off. But, most went on and on, called back, e-mailed their neighbors, etc.

My boss ended up involved. Gave me praises for how I was handling it and for responses I was giving. Still, didn't want to have to go that way.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:28 pm
I hear you, squinney. It must feel like too much aggravation for the effort and reward, but you know you're trying to do something positive -- and you are.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:42 pm
We get the Friday and the Monday as holidays here.

Heck, the spring celebration/rites were colonized by the christians...people have celebrated rebirth at this time (in the northern hemisphere) since the dawn of human history.

Enjoy.

Of course, here, we are celebrating the coming of autumn!

But I love Autumn, and public holidays...so I ain't complaining.

If anyone wants to give me Passover and any other damn thing as a holiday, I'll be happy for that, too!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:51 pm
Ha! Exactly what I thought, Deb. But I couldn't think of a nice way to say "Ya want Passover as a holiday? Start writing to the government and get it done. I'll take that day, too."

Course all this comes on the heels of the big to-do over Christmas decor, and the infamouse "What? You're closing for Martin Luther Kings Birthday? That aint a holiday and we wanna play bridge!"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:22 pm
Maybe an afternoon off, or at least leave a little. Kind of depends on the whim of you-know-who. Also depends on the companies we work with. If they're shut down, that motivates us to head on out, too.

Hey, you-know-who doesn't want a grinch like reputation, you know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:24 pm
It may not be a holiday (Martin Luther King day) but the banks close.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:47 pm
Oh, it's a holiday.

One of the complainers sent the list of holidays to me and next to Martin Luther Kings Birthday it says "(observed)"
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 09:54 pm
My child's school is closed tomorrow, but I am working - so it's "bring your daughter to school day".

Squinney, while they complain to you, hand them a pamphlet with the officially declared holidays and tell them that you'll observe them, just as the post office does. If they want an Easter egghunt, let them do it in their own
backyard.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:01 pm
I work for a big evil corporation. We're off tomorrow, and working Monday - though a lot of folks will be taking Monday as a vacation day.

I know kids are out of school tomorrow, but I'm not sure about Monday.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:11 pm
The schools here in Virginia declared the entire week Spring Break...from Monday (Passover) through Friday (Good Friday). Of course, conveniently, it does correspond with great Spring weather here in the mid-Atlantic.. So everybody seems happy. Things resume on the Monday after, though.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:13 pm
One resident sent me a list of Federal Holidays.

Easter is not on it. When did that happen?

She included something about the federal government not declaring holidays and leaving it to the states.

This Website Link indicates that NC is one of only 12 states / territories that recognizes Good Friday.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 10:46 pm
So, send her the link and tell her she was right, it is the states that
decide and NC had declared Good Friday as holiday. Smile
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 12:19 am
I'm not only squinney's husband I'm a resident of this community as well therefore I have an equal say in what I think of policy and what I say is these whining azzholes... Jews and Gentiles alike, can go f**k themselves.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 01:03 am
So how are public holidays (for workers) decided in the US?

It looks (to an outsider) that some are solely up to the employer.

Do those of you who have no choice but to work on Good Friday (or Easter Monday) receive any compensatory (extra) payment for doing so?

I ask because this is the way things are headed (if not already there, in some cases! Sad ) in my own country.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:41 am
Whoa whoa whoa.

An explanation/observation.

Anyone who wants Passover off is an idiot. I say this as a person who observes Passover. It is 8 days long and the celebrations are at night, and generally only for the first two nights, which are already done. Pack a freakin' matzoh-based lunch like the rest of us and get over it.

However, an Easter Egg hunt is definitely a celebration of a religious holiday. That holiday being, of course, Easter. Not Spring. Not the Equinox. Easter. The holiday that centers around Christ's death and resurrection. For those of us who do not believe in Christ (not just Jews, but also Hindus, Buddhists, etc.), this is not our holiday and an Easter Egg hunt, while charming, is not our celebration. BTW, I don't expect you to hold a seder for my benefit and I certainly don't expect to hold a seder and tell you that you should participate because it's festive or whatnot, or instead of your Easter celebrations. Come over for a meal if you wish, and you might have fun, but make no mistake, it's not to celebrate the Equinox and it's not a consolation prize for not celebrating Easter. It's to celebrate Jews escaping from Egyptian slavery.

Now, BTW, I'm in a funky situation. The company where I am contracted to has the day off. Why? It's not for religious reasons. It's because the financial markets are closed (should the financial markets be closed? Probably not, but go after the NY Stock Exchange if that bugs you). However, the company where I actually work, the one that signs my paychecks, does not have the day off. Therefore, I'm going to my company's home office location and I'll be attending a class today, instead of going to the financial services company. I was offered the option of working at home, but I don't have a multi-gig Oracle database running out of my spare room so, no go. Hence it's an education day for me.

I definitely sympathize. These days can be crazy-making. Some want the day off, some don't, some want other days off, etc. Do you celebrate or not? Do you decorate or not? If you do nothing, the work place is just a sterile and sour place to work. If you do something, is it enough? Is anyone offended? Does it look like you're endorsing one group over another? Does the majority rule? Do you try to include those who are left out, or just give them the day off? Is that okay, since a day off is a valuable perk?

I have my own ideas of how to handle it but the upshot, of course, is that I don't know the people you work with so I can't say. Someone, inevitably, is going to be offended or disappointed. I guess the trick is to try to minimize the disappointment levels in whatever way seems best to you and your company.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:53 am
At my job, they remain open as per normal, but we each take turns having a day off. I am the only one off today.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2007 05:56 am
edgarblythe wrote:
At my job, they remain open as per normal, but we each take turns having a day off. I am the only one off today.

I once worked in a place that did the same thing. The Christians would take Good Friday off, and the Jews would stay home on Yom Kippur. Worked very well.
0 Replies