Is Your Place of Work Closed For Easter? Good Friday?

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:22 pm
Reposted from another thread so I can get some feedback.

I can't win. Really.

So, now I have planned a Spring Celebration.

Yes, a Spring Celebration instead of an Easter Celebration. No Easter Egg Hunt but the Bunny will be here for photo ops and to pass out candy. A band will play, and there'll be several games and rides.

I'm getting it from both sides re: Why isn't there an Easter Egg Hunt... And, Sure, you close for Easter but what about Passover? No mention of that.

OMG! It's a national holiday. We close for national holidays and I have no control over it being called Easter. Nothing more is meant by it.

And the no egg hunt is because it's pure chaos, there's no place to hide the eggs but to lay them on the grass where dogs poop and pee, and I really don't have time to stuff 800+ eggs with the more inclusive activities that are already planned having to also be supervised that morning.

I actually had one person suggest I include a note of "Happy Whatever" for all religious holidays so everyone feels included. I said I figured that'd be a lot to keep up with on my part consider everything else I do, not to mention what I would hear the first time I gave a shout out to the Wiccans for "Happy Vernal Equinox!"

Another person sent me a listing of the national holidays, which did not include Easter. So, I e-mailed her back again and asked if there was something she wanted to do in the facilities this weekend. No? Then what's the problem with me being closed? Are Banks and the Post Office open tomorrow? Monday?

Is it any wonder there's no peace in the world?

Is Your Place of Work Closed For Easter? Good Friday?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,900 • Replies: 63
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:23 pm
Sozlet's school is closed...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:25 pm
Schools are closed here. Mr B (who has a 'regular' job) has to go to work. I'm taking the day off to play.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:32 pm
Scrambling to remember.

When I worked as a teen as a catholic hospital, there might have been some stuff shut down, but all of us worked, in minifilm and admissions and cashier's.. so, I dunno - but I do have memories of slower. I presume they still birthed babes and various other matters. It was just that gramps with the hernia didn't line up for surgery just then.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:41 pm
I should add a detail as to why our schools are closed. They weren't always. For many years we were closed for the Jewish holidays because the number of absent students would skew the attendance stats (which affects state funding to the schools). At some point a number of somebodies complained about the schools being closed for the Jewish high holy days and not closing for Good Friday or Easter Monday.

The powers that be looked at the annual calendar and decided that the schools are typically closed for one of the Jewish high holy days and deemed Good Friday (vs Easter Monday) as a school holiday. I don't know of any workplaces in the area that close for Good Friday or Easter Monday.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:42 pm
Well, yeah, hospitals and certain other businesses don't close down. But I remember things closing for Good Friday when I was growing up and when I was working as a paralegal 16 years ago we closed for Good Friday.

Really, I guess I'm just frustrated that such a big deal is being made over it. I tried to be PC, made it a Spring Celebration, then... Bam!

One side wants the place open since we didn't close for passover.

One group wants an Easter Egg Hunt.

Is it really that big a deal? Would you be upset if your neighborhood didn't do an Easter Egg Hunt when there's other cool stuff happening? Would you be upset if the Clubhouse was closed when you don't plan on doing anything there anyway?

Am I missing something here?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:49 pm
Yes.

People love to complain.

Full stop.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:49 pm
I fear we live on different planets. My last easter egg hunt was in something like 1948.

Although, a neato family I'm still friends with did do an easter egg tree... and that would have been in '54....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:50 pm
wellll.... the school's closed, but my sister and her hubby work. So, while I would normally be at the school from 8:30-2:45 and with the kids from 2:45-6:30 (or so), I dunno what I'm doing tomorrow. What usually happens when the kids are off is that I work with them all day. The problem with that is that I do it for no pay. The school doesn't pay me for the time I'm not there and my sister doesn't pay me for the extra time I work for her.

Talk about no-win (at least for me).
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:52 pm
No Easter Egg Hunt? Places not closed for Good Friday?

Confused
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:53 pm
My business will be open all of next weekend! To heck with Easter.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 07:54 pm
Ive closed my business Fri AND Monday. (Gonna do some trout fishin). Ive gotta do a class seminar next week on Thurs and Fri, but otherwise Im makin believe Im retired a couple days.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:00 pm
littlek wrote:
The school doesn't pay me for the time I'm not there and my sister doesn't pay me for the extra time I work for her.

Talk about no-win (at least for me).

methinks you should have a chat with sis, l'k.

Squinney, holding a celebration in the middle of a religious holiday season is going to result in complaints from numerous quarters. Let 'em complain. You're aren't trying to do religion, you're trying to celebrate spring and it happens to fall in the midst of the holidays. I've run into the same thing with trying to coordinate a 'winter celebration' in the midst of Christmas and Chanukah. It's a no win scenario unless you nix the bunny and any semblance of traditional holiday celebrations.

I sympathize... you're trying to do something nice and those that want to find fault will do so. Let it roll off.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:00 pm
I think (but could be corrected) that most places in Canada are closed on Good Friday, as a statutory holiday, but open on Easter Monday. Except government offices, which get both days. Banks will be closed tomorrow, but I'm sure about Monday, because they can only be closed for 2 days in a row. Public schools get both days off, but secondary and post-secondary schools only get Friday off. I think.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:03 pm
No, I work in an assisted-living care home. It never '"closes".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:04 pm
Re littleK and sister, I desist from opininonting. You are free to fantasize my opinion.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:04 pm
Yep, what JPB said. As soon as I started working in positions that held any kind of authority I learned (the hard way) that you can't please all of the people all of the time. So if you really think you're doing the right thing, just nod and smile and go ahead and do what you think is right. I mean, listen for valid criticisms, and if there are any, take them into account. But anyone in a position of authority gets a whole lot of criticism, valid or no. And you gotta learn to let the invalid ones roll off your back... or go batshit.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:05 pm
JPB - most people think I should have a chat with her.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:06 pm
(Yes we do.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Apr, 2007 08:09 pm
And I screwed up the word 'opinionating'.. alas.

Still, stand up for ourself or selves...
0 Replies