Warts - how the devil do you get rid of them?

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 09:34 am
My daughter had a couple of warts - one on her thumb and one on her foot. We used the typical over the counter stuff and nothing was working.

We brought her to the doctors a couple of months ago. The doctor gave her some sort of freezing treatment, told us to use an over the counter remedy and said if the wart doesn't go away in three weeks come back.

Well we had to go back. The doctor wasn't available and the nurse did the same thing. That night the wart in thumb developed into a huge blister the size of her thumb. Well it looks like that wart is dead - a bit extreme way to kill it.

Now a week later, there is another wart on her foot. These damn warts are driving me crazy - what the heck can I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 10,889 • Replies: 16

DrewDad

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 09:39 am
I've known several folks that had a sudden eruption of wars.

Treatments included freezing, cauterizing, and surgical removal.

Find a really good dermatologist.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 10:29 am
According to an osteopathic physician I once dealt with, you can keep treating them with castor oil (externally, of course). It irritates them and they go away - he says. He also says that otc treatments are as good as surgery.

I did have a planar wart removed surgically from my bit toe. That was the worst pain I ever felt in my life. It grew back. I treated it with an otc, Bulldog Brand, if I remember correctly, and it eventually went away. Coat it with the stuff, and poke around in the slurry with the broken end of a toothpick. It isn't quick, but it did work for me.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 10:50 am
Childhood warts are very very common but no less unsightly and bothersome for that fact

Warts are a virus, with this in mind about the only way to make them go away is to change their living conditions to something the virus doesn't like.

Try different proprietry "wart killers", use a piece of fine sand paper to file the hard Top/outer skin layer down (NOT till it bleeds) and apply the wart killer for a week. Change the brand - look at the active ingredient to make sure you are using something different. Repeat the procedure changing the active ingredient regularily but allowing it time to get to work.

Apply Milk Thistle juice ( the milky sap) several times a day.

My grand mother said morning pee. Ummmm yeah I suppose you could.

Alter your blood and body chemistry by changing your diet radically ie go vegetarian for a few months.

Eventually they go away on their own.

I remember having a wart on my knee as a 6 or seven year old child that wouldn't go away. One day I banged my knee on a door and the wart was knocked off. It had roots still attatched! and left a hole in my knee which healed over very quickly. The warts never came back after that.
I think it takes longer than most of us have patience for to kill a wart.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 10:54 am
In many cases wart removal is a matter of sincere belief--which is why so many folk remedies have excellent results.

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/47/137.cfm

One folk recipe that I've had good luck with three different warts on three different kids is:

Cut a new potato in half.

Rub each half on the wart.

Reassemble the potato and bury it. The dark of the moon is supposed to be a good time for this. I believe the Dark of the Moon this month is about 4/16. Staying up past "normal" bedtime seems to add some power to the ceremony.

When the potato rots away, the wart will have vanished.

If the potato sprouts, the wart will vanish and the child will have a piece of good luck.

Firm belief is the key here.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 10:58 am
dadpad wrote:
Childhood warts are very very common but no less unsightly and bothersome for that fact

Warts are a virus, with this in mind about the only way to make them go away is to change their living conditions to something the virus doesn't like.

Try different proprietry "wart killers", use a piece of fine sand paper to file the hard Top/outer skin layer down (NOT till it bleeds) and apply the wart killer for a week. Change the brand - look at the active ingredient to make sure you are using something different. Repeat the procedure changing the active ingredient regularily but allowing it time to get to work.

Apply Milk Thistle juice ( the milky sap) several times a day.

My grand mother said morning pee. Ummmm yeah I suppose you could.

Alter your blood and body chemistry by changing your diet radically ie go vegetarian for a few months.

Eventually they go away on their own.

I remember having a wart on my knee as a 6 or seven year old child that wouldn't go away. One day I banged my knee on a door and the wart was knocked off. It had roots still attatched! and left a hole in my knee which healed over very quickly. The warts never came back after that.
I think it takes longer than most of us have patience for to kill a wart.

I have been trying the filing thing with an emory board - the problem it is on the sole of feet and very ticklish - hard to keep an 8 yr old still enough to file.

And although changing a diet could work - try it with an 8 yr old - though keep the ideas flowing - I have changed wart medicine recently, hopefully it will help.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 12:21 pm
I always wondered if this worked. If you try it let me know how it goes.

Source: Duct Tape Therapy

Quote:
Duct tape, the all-purpose household fix-it with hundreds of uses, can also remove warts.

Researchers say over-the-hardware-counter duct tape is a more effective, less painful alternative to liquid nitrogen, which is used to freeze warts.

The study was reported in the October issue of the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine.

In the study, patients wore duct tape over their warts for six days. Then they removed the tape, soaked the area in water and used an emery board or pumice stone to scrape the spot. The tape was reapplied the next morning. The treatment continued for a maximum of two months or until the wart went away.

The duct tape irritated the warts, and that apparently caused an immune system reaction that attacked the growths, said researcher Dr. Dean "Rick" Focht III of Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center.

He said researchers did not test other kinds of tape, and so they cannot say whether there is anything special about the gray, heavy-duty, fabric-backed tape.

Pediatric dermatologist Dr. Anthony J. Mancini of Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago said he uses duct-tape therapy for warts in his practice.

"The whole point of this is a non-painful approach," said Mancini, who was not involved in the study.

The study was conducted at the Madigan Army Medical Center near Tacoma, Wash. It began with 61 patients between the ages of 3 and 22, but only 51 patients completed the study.

Of the 26 patients treated with duct tape, 85 percent got rid of their warts compared with 60 percent of the 25 patients who received the freezing treatment.

Researchers did not test the duct tape on older adults and also did not study whether warts recurred.

The apparent curative powers of duct tape are no surprise to Tim Nyberg, one-half of the Duct Tape Guys, who write books and perform comedy about the adhesive's allure. Nyberg said he and his duct tape partner, Jim Berg, do a shtick that includes duct tape wart removal.

"It's the universal panacea," Nyberg said.

By Deanna Bellandi
© MMII The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Apr, 2007 02:46 pm
I had this suggested also by another parent - the duct tape stuff - I will have to try it.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:04 pm
Go to a dr and have it frozen off. It takes about 10 min to treat and it falls off in a few days.

You need to remember that it is a virus. It cannot be cured. It may very well come back no matter what you do. Sometimes, they go away on their own too.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 05:17 pm
linkat :
have alook at this linked article for some background information .

...WARTS...

when i was 10 to 12 years old , i had a lot of warts .
they were coated with candle wax every day - NOT hot , to cover them . they would usually disappear within a couple of weeks , and after a while did not re-occur - but i don't know why .
hbg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 09:14 am
USAFHokie80 wrote:
Go to a dr and have it frozen off. It takes about 10 min to treat and it falls off in a few days.

You need to remember that it is a virus. It cannot be cured. It may very well come back no matter what you do. Sometimes, they go away on their own too.

If you read above - I've been to the doctor's twice already with two different freezing treatments and one is still there! The last freezing treatment caused her to get a huge blister as big as her thumb until it popped - not it is this horrible swore on her thumb.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:32 pm
Well that is really the only thing you can do... All these other crazy things... aren't going to work. It is a virus and you can't cure it with a potato. And like I said, since it is a virus, there is nothing you can do to "cure" it. They may come back. As far as the blister... every medical treatment can have side effects. That's the risk you take.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 03:57 pm
They come from inside and you can't get rid of them. You can treat them but they will almost always come back, either in the same place or another.

I had one under my toenail (yes, UNDER it) and it finally went away on it's own. I was NOT going to have it burned, frozen or otherwise boiled off by some doctor. My feet are very sensitive. So I waited it out. And it went away.

The blister you described is common with that treatment. It "kills" the wart but not the virus. If you aren't ok with that, don't let them do it again. They are painful and really not worth it if the wart is small and not bothersome.

If your daughter is ok with them, I'd say let them be. Unless they are really bad or in a really bad place (ie, being rubbed by clothing or on her face). They'll go away eventually.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:08 pm
She had the one on her thumb over a year! The reason I went to the doctor's office is she developed another one on the bottom of her foot and sometimes it would hurt.

I am overdue for the 3 weeks and may have to bring her back for another treatment (on her foot).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 02:32 pm
The foot one is probably a plantars wart, which can be painful. That one you might have to have treated.

The one I had was for a year or so...and then one day it was just gone. Weird.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2014 03:41 pm
Can't spell warts without "war". These bumps are your body's war-mounds between good bacteria fighting the good fight and bad bacteria attempting to over-throne your body.

The reason why everything consists of a war is because on a subatomic level everything needs to be conflicted so it can expand from its original point in power, as to become stronger and more versatile, much like every generic video game experience.

Sometimes you must ask yourself why do they appear in the first place, instead of how to get rid of them. Sometimes the solution is in the former; other times the latter.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2014 07:41 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Linkat asked the question seven years ago. Your answer, by the way, is nonsense. Warts are caused by viruses.
0 Replies