The CAT room!

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 08:24 am
Hello, I'm new to A2K but I'm wandering around the boards finding lots of topics of interest.

May I introduce myself here?

I'm both a gardener and a cat lover so I think this will be a great forum. We have three Maine Coons. The largest weighs about 22 lbs and his two younger brothers - litter mates, we couldn't decided between the two so we took them both - are in the 15 - 18 lb range.

Are there any other MCs here?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:17 pm
welcome JB - any photos? I've seen Maine Coons and they look beautiful - all ours have been strays that we took in. 22lbs is rivalling Mikey!

msolga doesn't it just give a different perspective! I wouldn't care to curl up with Mikey on my chest the way Rosie lies! <gasp>

Family all on their way home now so all is quiet - Paddy sleeping like a log and Rosie dozing quietly. TV boring so I thought I'd visit a2k
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 04:53 pm
Welcome JB. I love Maine coons. I second Vivien's request for photos. My cat Mikey is a mutt--a very big mutt.

Yes, Olga, it costs a fortune to feed him. That's why I was so stunned at the Christmas present. Six weeks' worth of food. I don't think my friend realized what she was getting into.

Vivien, I'm fortunate that Mikey is not a lap cat. He occasionally rests his head on me. Heavy. Sorry. No recent photos. No digital scanner. So recent photos wouldn't be postable anyway. You'll just have to take my word for it. He's big.

I spent Christmas with a family I've known for over 30 years. Some had only recently met Mikey. He was a topic of conversation. "The biggest cat I've ever seen."
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 05:04 pm
Laughing I didn't doubt you Very Happy a good burglar deterrent? unless they had food?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 10:35 pm
Roberta wrote:
Welcome JB. I love Maine coons. I second Vivien's request for photos. My cat Mikey is a mutt--a very big mutt.

Yes, Olga, it costs a fortune to feed him. That's why I was so stunned at the Christmas present. Six weeks' worth of food. I don't think my friend realized what she was getting into.

Vivien, I'm fortunate that Mikey is not a lap cat. He occasionally rests his head on me. Heavy. Sorry. No recent photos. No digital scanner. So recent photos wouldn't be postable anyway. You'll just have to take my word for it. He's big.

I spent Christmas with a family I've known for over 30 years. Some had only recently met Mikey. He was a topic of conversation. "The biggest cat I've ever seen."

In my college days, i got to know a young lady, Mary Fuchs, who was a townie, and attending the big U. I was a guest in her home for dinner on a few occassions, and saw their cat, who weighed in at well over 20 lbs. The little kids used to coax him up into a wheelbarrow and then run him around the neighborhood. That, and draggin himself to the dog bowl from which they fed him constituted his exercise regime.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:07 am
Mikey's exercise regime emplys Roberta and teeth!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:56 am
Thanks for the welcome. DH has some pictures loaded on this system somewhere. I'll try to get them to load.

Kato (big guy) was mighty displeased when we brought the other two home. One of them, Jack, was very timid and scared. The other one, Mongo, was aggressive and perky. We kept them separated from big brother for a few days while they adjusted to our upper level. We would bring Kato in for 'visits' where he would let them and us know just what he thought of the whole thing.

About the third or fourth day Jack stood at the closed door of the bedroom hall and howled and howled. We all ran to see what was happening. I opened the door and Kato was on the other side. Jack walked to him and started giving him headbutts and rubs. Kato started licking him. They've been inseparable ever since. Mongo, on the other hand, is the odd guy out even though he's Jack's littermate. We give him lots of extra hugs.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:43 pm
My name is dlowan, and I am a BAD owner.

Poor Oscar was ill a couple of weeks back - broken squeaker, and a cough.

I was tres poor, so I gave him a bit of time to fight it himself.

He seemed to be getting better, then went down again.

I took him to vet yesterday - the vet said his tonsils were sticking out like jug handles!!! He must have been in real pain!!!!!

Waaaaaah!

Poor little fella....god, I feel bad.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:54 pm
Poor, poor Oscar! Sad
Yes, these critters can get very expensive, I know ... It's terrible when one simply doesn't have the cash. But I'm sure he'll forgive you!
How is he now, Deb?
Give him a big hug from me, OK? Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:06 pm
Welome J_B you will find A2k is a cat lover's pardise.

Don't worry Deb you had no way to know. And it makes up for all the times you take them to the vet and they charge a gazillion dollars for tests and nothing is wrong.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:16 pm
Lol - prolly not right now Msolga - the hug, I mean - I just gave him an antibiotic and some eye ointment.

He is quite chirpy - he got some cortisone - and the vert said he would feel better than he really is for a couple of days.

Thing is - I am kicking myself.

I have been VERY unhappy with every vet I have tried, since my old vet retired.

Either they give no evidence of giving a flying ferk about the animals - or they try to patronize me - or both.

So - there is s "holistic" vet up the road - apparently very good with the animals - fabulous paw side manner - and does traditional vettery plus alternative stuff.

So - I checked up - $95 for a 50 minute consultation with "new clients".

Hmmm - I decide I cannot afford. Go to best of vets I am unhappy with.

Get patronised, cat is treated likea robot, charged $103 - mind you, that included medication - so possible new vet might have been anothe r$50 on top.

Feeling at that price, I ought to have checked out new fella, anyway.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 03:16 am
Deb querida, Sorry that little Oscar is under the weather. I'm sympathetic to the problem of money for vets. If you're gonna spend it, you should at least be satisfied with what you're getting. Right now, the important thing is that Oscar is receiving the treatment he needs. Try out the new guy when you can afford it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 04:06 am
Wise words from Roberta!
Now stop that kicking, Deb! You'll wear your bunny foot out & damage your ears!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 06:11 am
yay! I am managing to get the eye ointment in with no trouble! (he had a sore eye, as well...)

Wise words indeed from Boida!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:46 am
Poor Oscar.

Might it be worth checking out if the new vet has any sort of scheme where you pay a monthly insurance? Our vet has 2 types - the normal insurance type where you end up paying anyway unless they go down with something terrible and need expensive treatment and their own, which is a good deal - it covers immunisations, flea treatment and check up for I think £10 a month (the injections etc come to nearly that anyway) and if they have an accident treatment is covered but if they are ill you pay but can pay in installments (which could really help).

The first vet I tried was like yours - kept calling Timmy (my then cat) 'she' - huh! and wanted to brush teeth and do all sorts that added up to a fortune.

Current vet is ok and does work for the RSPCA so I feel that's a kind of seal of approval!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 12:25 pm
I have no experience with holistic vets but I tried a holistic md recently for the first time and was very impressed. I'd consider a holistic vet if I needed a new one.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 04:41 pm
Vivien wrote:
Poor Oscar.

Might it be worth checking out if the new vet has any sort of scheme where you pay a monthly insurance? Our vet has 2 types - the normal insurance type where you end up paying anyway unless they go down with something terrible and need expensive treatment and their own, which is a good deal - it covers immunisations, flea treatment and check up for I think £10 a month (the injections etc come to nearly that anyway) and if they have an accident treatment is covered but if they are ill you pay but can pay in installments (which could really help).

The first vet I tried was like yours - kept calling Timmy (my then cat) 'she' - huh! and wanted to brush teeth and do all sorts that added up to a fortune.

Current vet is ok and does work for the RSPCA so I feel that's a kind of seal of approval!

Some DO have insurance schemes.

I haven't found a vet I wish to pay on a regular basis.

Also - if I look at what has been spent on the cats, any insurance scheme would have taken a humungous amount of money compared with what I have spent on them over the 11 and 12 years I have had them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 04:49 pm
J_B wrote:
I have no experience with holistic vets but I tried a holistic md recently for the first time and was very impressed. I'd consider a holistic vet if I needed a new one.

Interesting, JD - thank you.
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:35 pm
Sorry to hear about Oscar & the vet experiences. Good vibes to you both! :X)
The vet issue is a tough one. I've experienced the poor paw-side manner & patronizing approach too. At least through experience I also have become much more assertive in what I will or will not accept. I regret to this day that I did not have the "cajones" to insist on being there when my first 2 cats were euthanized. Recently, I had my 22 year-old euthanized in my arms by a caring vet who came to my home. This was after I changed vets 5 years prior because of their domineering approach to how I "should" care for her. I say go with your "gut" instinct whenever possible. Surfing the web & getting opinions from fellow cat lovers is also very helpful & empowering before dealing with the "professionals".
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:39 am
Sometimes I wonder about Flatty. Lately he's taken to doing things like happily going outside through his cat door, only to sit at a closed window, minutes later, yowling loudly & mournfully to be let in. Confused When I go out to check on the noise he happily trots back back inside inside after me - through his door...... Only to repeat the whole process something like half an hour later! Oh god, he's doing it now! Evil or Very Mad
He's also taken to knocking his head with great enthusiasm against his (heavy ceramic) water bowl as I prepare his food. If he gets any more enthusiastic I'm worried he's going to concuss himself. Confused
0 Replies