msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:38 am
Photograph, Vivien?

I'll bet he looks quite fetching!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:58 am
Dear Cat people,

Due to the continual difficulty of getting into this thread (probably because it is so long), it seemed a good idea to start a new (continuing from here) one.

Here it is:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70907&highlight=

See you there! Very Happy
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:14 am
I think I mentioned before that I "inherited" my daughter's cats when she moved in with her fellow that hates felines. Well, they are 14 years old and I just put one to sleep because she was so debilitated from an auto-immune disorder called Pemphigus. Horrible, really, her skin literally fell of her body in crusts, to say nothing about what it did to her insides. The Merck Veterinary Manual and my Vet say that diet is frequently the cause. Well, she was on Science Diet K/D along with her brother who had only first stage disease. There was so little protein in the food that I think she developed Pemphigus. I tried to save her for about 4 months....but when everything we did failed and she couldn't eat, I did what I could for her and gave her the peace she so needed.

I took the diet and threw it out and am presently feeding a dry food diet called EVO and Fancy Feast , both high in protein. The vet told me that even though the kidney is failing slightly, that cats NEED protein! I am through with Science Diets for all my animals, including my dogs.

Tequila, the brother, who was the cat with early stage kidney failure, was just diagnosed to have pneumonia with a lobe of his lung collapsed! The only way we found that out was when the vet attempted to do a dental cleaning and he could not be sedated because of his breathing! I had no idea he had pneumonia or a collapsed lobe because he had no outward signs. He is on antibiotics and the pneumonia has cleared up, but the lobe remains collapsed. We now have him on long term antibiotics to try to reinflate it. His appetite is excellent and his activity level is par for a 14 yr old cat.

The Siamese cat, Suchot, has a mast cell tumor on his eyelid! He just had most of it removed and will probably do very well for some time. The prognosis usually isn't good if it is a metastasis from say, a liver primary tumor. His appears to be just on the eyelid as he is very sleek and happy for a 12 yr old cat.

I just feel I am running a HOSPICE FOR CATS!!! Egads! They are indoor cats so they haven't been exposed to environmental toxins. It is so difficult to see them decline...they are such wonderful and loving pets.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:18 am
VN

Any chance of copying your post & sending it to #2 of this thread? (see post just above yours)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:44 am
A continuation of this thread, #2:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70907&highlight=
0 Replies