The CAT room!

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:07 am
Re vets: I didn't find much to be happy about with vets until I found a vet that specializes in cats. No dogs, ferrets, boids, etc. Just cats. It was only then that I felt that my cats were getting exactly what they needed. Great care and understanding, not only of their physical needs, but of their "catness." When my Miranda died, I was there with her. I was not billed for the final visit for a long time. I called and asked about it. The assistant told me that they didn't like to ask for money while a person was still grieving. A few days later I received a note from Cornell Veterinary College. A donation had been made in Miranda's name--from the vet. Good people.

Olga, Flatty sounds nuts. Maybe bored? Lonesome? Just being a cat? Quien sabe?
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:03 am
Re: Flatty

I agree, maybe just being a cat, those wonderful mysterious felines...but, I wonder if his ears are bothering him? The air/wind outside...the banging...does he also shake his head alot? Just a thought...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:40 am
Anybody ever shoot cats with a paintball gun? Great way to train them to stay out of your yard. Plus, they jump like 10' in the air. Freakin' hilarious.
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 11:59 am
CUE: trite "catapult" schtick. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:57 am
Roberta wrote:
...Olga, Flatty sounds nuts. Maybe bored? Lonesome? Just being a cat? Quien sabe?

Bored, Roberta? Lonesome? I'm here, aren't I? I play & talk with him. I scratch is tummy/he scratches my hand! Evil or Very Mad We work in the garden together. He sleeps on my favourite plants & flattens them! Evil or Very Mad He attempts to sleep on my head. He disturbs my sleep.
Despite everything, I'm nice to him. I share my roast chicken with him! He gets the best bits!
OK, nuts, maybe ... him, not me of course! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:05 am
sophie99 wrote:
Re: Flatty

I agree, maybe just being a cat, those wonderful mysterious felines...but, I wonder if his ears are bothering him? The air/wind outside...the banging...does he also shake his head alot? Just a thought...

Actually, Sophie, he does shake his head a bit, but my vet has checked them & says they're fine. The only time he does his head banging thing is when I'm getting his food ready. It seems to be some sort of anticipatory behavior. hmmmmmmmmm Confused
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 03:06 am
cjhsa wrote:
Anybody ever shoot cats with a paintball gun? Great way to train them to stay out of your yard. Plus, they jump like 10' in the air. Freakin' hilarious.

Nah. Rolling Eyes What's a paintball gun?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 10:40 am
something we should all shoot at cjhsa's
0 Replies

sophie99

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 11:36 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

An appropriate definition.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:04 pm
They use compressed air to shoot a paint filled exploding pellet a few hundred feet per second. Paintball wargames are fairly popular, you try to capture the opponents flag or flags, and if you get marked, you're dead.

http://smedia.vermotion.com/media/8860/prodimages/XP1504C-E_sm.jpg

As I said, they are also highly effective for "training" cats and keeping the neighbors animals from crapping in your yard.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 12:06 pm
Why did the cat cross the road?

Because cats are stupid. You can't teach them not to.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:54 pm
cats are far too intelligent to be 'trained' Laughing
0 Replies

Magus

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 02:57 pm
Intelligence being a relative thing, cats (as a rule) are brighter than many other species... and often display more percipience than some chatroom posters... :wink:
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:29 pm
Right on, Magus. And thanks for "percipience." I love learning new words.

Olga, Prefood nutsiness is de rigueur for our feline friends. Mikey gets so worked up at the thought that I might be heading into the kitchen to feed him that he crosses back and forth in front of me 20 or 30 times. The longest distance between two points is Mikey on his way to the kitchen. What a nut.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 06:38 pm
He REALLY loves his food, Roberta! Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 02:30 am
What else has he got, Olga? He doesn't go outside. Sometimes he goes out in the hall, but he's never been outside, except in a carrier. He doesn't have another cat. He's got his food, me, and many, many, many toys. He's got his nap spots, his litter, and many toys. But for all his toys, he's far more interested in food. He reminds me of Snoopy at SUPPERTIME! Very Happy

Of course Flattie goes outside and then wants to come in. Dese cats is nuts. Rolling Eyes

BTW, I used to let Mikey wander around in the hall in the middle of the night while I was working. Not once but twice, he brought a mouse back in with him!!! Shocked Big mistake. My original purpose in getting a cat was to avoid having mice in my apartment. Oy.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 11:07 am
Mikey needs a book - with illustrations - I'd buy it!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 05:16 pm
hmmmm .... thinking, thinking, thinking of a perfect new & diversionary hobby for Mr Mikey of NYC! Very Happy
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 10:54 am
What's wrong with sleeping, Olga? That works very well as a hobby for Nisse and Mysan... Expect at night, of course ;-)

I went to bed around 2 am last night. That's exactly when Nisse started to play with his favorite little fur mouse - right in front of the bedroom. At 5 am they both decided it was time for me to get. I did - but only to send them downstairs. And - I know this is hard to believe - they go downstairs and were nice and quiet. Ah, the little cat angels! :-)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:27 pm
urs, Angels! Are you sure they're bona fide cats?

Mikey and I are both nocturnal. No problem with sleeping, until I tried to switch my sleeping time around so that I'd be up for at least part of the day. Someone (I'm not mentioning any names) was not happy about the new hours--and let me know it.

BTW, I'm currently giving Mikey the cold shoulder. I'm pissed. He's not quite contrite enough. Soon.
0 Replies