The CAT room!

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:35 am
Oh yes, it actually happened margo.

(Poor, poor Flats & poor me. <sigh>)

But, I'm feeling a fraction more reconciled to what happened.

And, you know, I've been thinking ...

I've hardly ever lived in a home without cats, or a dog, since I was a very small child.

A house without at least one critter is not really a home.

My home feels quite strange, critter-less.

My term holidays come up in 3 weeks & I can be home quite a bit then.

There are always lots of beautiful abandoned & lost critters at Lort Smith or the Cat Protection Society. They need a home. Or else ...

Maybe, this holiday .....?

We'll see.

(Thanks, Vivien, for reinforcing these inclinations of mine in your emails. Very Happy )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:45 am
urs53 wrote:
Ah, all these beautiful cats! Last week, my friend came to visit - she is a cat lover, too, and used to have five cats. Unfortunately, two very old ones had to be put to sleep recently. But she knows they had a good life, were loved and gave love. She was sitting in my kitchen, looking at Mysan walking around, jumping up on furniture and said dreamily: Cats are the most beautiful beings...

Yes, Nisse and Mysan are our babies, too. Since BigDice works in the evenings, I would be alone at home most of the time. But I don't mind that at all with two cats to keep me company. They are indoor cats, too. We live in the middle of town and it would be much too dangerous for them to go outside.

Right now Nisse is sitting on a chair next to me, trying hard not to fall asleep :-)

Lovely, urs!

I feel exactly the same. I love the experience of being on my own (though not all the time, of course!) A cat companion - or in your case two cat companions - can make that experience so much nicer! Very Happy

I don't know that I could manage five cats, like your friend did, though!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:48 am
J_B wrote:
And this is Jack and Kato asleep upside down as farmerman was describing.
http://static.flickr.com/19/101410175_8b2c632131_m.jpg

Now, isn't that interesting? What makes Coon cats sleep in this interesting (& delightful) way? Any theories, J_B, or farmer?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:53 am
Nisse likes to sleep like this, too. But mostly when he is lying next to BigDice. In his case, I guess it is because he imitates BigDice. Nisse does not know there is a difference between humans and cats...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:59 am
This is Poly. He is the Himalayan that just came into the shelter a couple of days ago. As you can see, he is having a very difficult time settling in and making himself at home. Rolling Eyes Laughing He is like one big teddy bear. Talk about a diva! What's a male diva called? Laughing

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8946/dcp00203yp.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
A man.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 02:08 pm
Eva wrote:
A man.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I was going to be a clever clogs and say 'divo' - but your answer is soooo much better Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 04:41 pm
Eva,

Yeah. Have to agree with you and Vivien. That's a pretty good answer! Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 04:47 pm
Yeah, well...have you ever known a real man who wasn't? (God love 'em.)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 04:59 pm
Honestly? No! You are so right on it isn't funny! This cat is such a hoot Eva. He prances around the house. He sneaks up on the other cats and just stands there and then lets out this howl! Then when the other cat takes off running, he chases them around the house. I thought at first it was just something he did as a qurk but no! He keeps doing it. Shocked

He and Oliver (my neutered Siamese - posted a picture of him way earlier in this thread I think) have been checking each other out. They stand there with their heads turned away from each other and the hair on their backs up (they both look like they have mohawks when they do this!) and just start with a low growl and it keeps raising in pitch.http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Jobs_and_People/Musicians_and_Singers/Cats_sing.gif I'm a bit leery of trying to separate them once they start this because yesterday I tried with another cat and he did the buzzsaw thing to my head. So, there is a bit of Shelter Soap Drama going on here right now. Well, it may be dramatic to them but I am cracking up! And, I think we all know what cats think about humans laughing at them! Shocked
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:59 pm
Mine just give me their famous "I-meant-to-do-that" look.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:45 am
Just fixing the thread.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:19 pm
Cat, owner reunited 6 months after hurricane

ATLANTA - When Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans, Tristan Carter thought she had lost everything - her home, a grandfather, two dogs, a cat and a rabbit.

But Cupcake the cat was alive and well after six months of living as a stray in her hurricane-ravaged neighborhood. On Wednesday, animal rescue volunteers reunited the lithe, 7-pound black cat with Carter, who now lives in Atlanta.

"I lost a grandfather in the hurricane. To find a little kitty survived six months, that's great," said Carter, holding Cupcake close and thanking the rescuers who found her.

Animal rescue groups have rescued more than 1,200 former pets living as strays in New Orleans and have been working to reunite them with their owners, according to Best Friends Animal Society, the group that arranged the reunion.

Cupcake wore a collar with rabies tags and rescuers hoped to quickly link her with her owner. But volunteer Shelley Thayer could not find a person who matched the tag's name and address. A phone number on the tag was disconnected.

But after using professional Internet-based searching services, Thayer matched Carter with the tag's address. The people-finding service provided Thayer with Carter's phone number.

Carter says her family had given up any hope of finding their pets. In November, they returned to their former home and searched without success.

"God works in mysterious ways. She is a gift, she is here to let us know there is hope," Carter said. "She's our good luck charm."
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:47 pm
What an awesome story! I have one cat here from Katrina. They had one of the National Animal Rescue shelters here in Louisiana and they worked so hard finding owners or new homes. Quite a few dogs that at one time had been neglected are now at a rehabilitation shelter in Utah I think. It might be Idaho. They do marvelous work.

I have one cat here from Katrina. I don't have much hope of ever finding her owners. She had no collar, nothing. Just a female black cat. She lives on my refrigerator.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 05:50 am
(Hi, Reyn!)

Hats off to those animal rescue workers who are still at it, after all this time. Now that's commitment!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 11:40 am
now that is a lovely happy-ending-feelgood story - just what I needed on a 'down' day Very Happy

not keen on that new portrait of you Reyn Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 01:55 pm
Vivien wrote:
not keen on that new portrait of you Reyn Twisted Evil

It portrays a certain attitude with things around here. :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 06:10 pm
This poor cat! 62 hours stranded on a powerline!

Click on Cat-astrophe averted in Las Vegas!

http://www.cnn.com
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 03:02 pm
Our baby had her spay surgery yesterday morning. I brought her home late yesterday afternoon and placed her in a huge kennel with a litter box and quilt to lounge and sleep on. She still seemed pretty groggy and they gave her a shot of pain medicine that's supposed to last three days.

She's desperately UNHAPPY being caged. She cries constantly and rattles the cage door and scratches furiously at the sides of the kennel. I tried to give her a bowl of water--a heavy bowl nestled into the front corner of the kennel--but she managed to dump that bowl and make a mess. Every time I open the kennel door to offer her water, she ignores the water and tries to escape. I'm afraid she's going to get dehydrated.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 03:07 pm
Debra,

Let her out! Sweetie, she can get stressed to the point of endangering her health. Just make her a nice comfortable place somewhere or let her pick a place and she will be fine.

Some cats just can't handle being caged. I've seen them hurt themselves because of it. She will be fine. She won't hurt herself (her stitches or anything). She will drink water, eat, and calm down once she is out of the kennel.

I know you felt it was the right thing for her and for some cats it would be, but I don't think it's a good thing in this case. Please keep us updated how she is doing?
0 Replies