The CAT room!

dlowan

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:20 pm
BOIDA!!!!!

How the hell are you?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:28 pm
What was your dinner (what would have been your dinner), Roberta?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:51 pm
I just found this picture and needed somewhere to share it:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/2_week-old_Female_Sphynx_%28Suki%29.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 01:19 am
I'm thinking of one of them for me next cat....less shedding from Sphynxes!
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 02:33 am
Our youngest cat was born in the spring of 2004. Thus, she is nearly two years old. She's strictly an indoors cat--and just went through her first heat. Well, it was the first heat that we were aware of due to her behavior. She was in heat for 9 LONG DAYS.

Information gleaned from the internet states, if she is not mated when she's in heat, she will continue to cycle into heat every 2 1/2 to 3 weeks from now on. Inasmuch as she is never exposed to a male cat and she is not in any risk of getting pregnant, I was hoping to spare her the trauma of going through surgery to be spayed. BUT--if we have to live with a horny howling cat for nine day stretches every three weeks--we might have to have her spayed for our own sanity.

Does anyone have experience living with a female cat that is NOT spayed? Since she's nearly 2 years old, could she have been in heat before and we might not have noticed? Could this heat cycle just have been a particularly bad one?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 05:28 am
can't help Debra

Boida no wonder Mikey is such a size Twisted Evil what dinner did he enjoy?

I have muesli for breakfast and Rosie loves to have the last bit of milk and whatever bits are left - strange animal. I have to fight her off some days to be allowed to finish MY share in peace Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:36 am
Indi-That pic is disgusting, looks like an alien cat.
Deb-Id suggest the spay route, youre cat will live longer and you wont have those sounds like your torturing the poor thing coming freom the basement when company comes over.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:37 am
hey rabbit, ya still got yer underwear on yer head, are you just going for a valentines look?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:42 am
WHAT steenking underwear?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 02:13 pm
Debra, when I got my first cat that was my own (my family had tons of cats when I was growing up, but they were all fixed because they went outdoors sometimes) I thought I'd do the same thing. She is entirely indoors, but the first heat was pure insanity and I changed my mind immediately. It is supposed to be healthier anyway.

As far as I know (and I did some reading on it), the heats will never get less annoying. It is odd that she was two years old, but I'd still suspect that for some reason she was just delayed in going into heat before. I don't think there is any way she had a heat that you didn't notice; they ALWAYS go nuts. My dad's cat went into heat a few times before he got her fixed, and each time was awful.

Also, cats can go into heat at any time, so if a male cat is in the neighborhood (even if she's inside) she can go into heat right then. You can end up with a yowling, writhing little weirdo at the drop of a hat, even if she's not due to be in heat for another few weeks. Eek!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:21 pm
Hiya Debele, I'm slightly better than eh. How be you?

Debra, Spaying is definitely the route to take. Spaying will eliminate the horrible heat symptoms. A friend had an unaltered female. I made a point of not stopping by when the cat was in heat.

What dinner was purloined? I had splurged on a veal cutlet. I breaded and sauted it. Prepared some baby potatoes and salad. I got to eat some of the cutlet. I was left with the salad and potato. Glad that Mikey is carniverous rather than omniverous, or I woulda ended up with nuttin.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:30 pm
I had my other two girls spayed soon after I got them. They're now 10 and 11 years old. They are both rolly-polly things with bellies that flop. LOL On the other hand, my youngest girl is so sleek and pretty. Getting her spayed is going to ruin her figure! LOL

I know it is probably best to have her spayed and I'll call the vet and make an appointment.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:52 pm
Now, now....not all little girl kitties get fat. My little Rosie was spayed when she was 6 weeks old. She is now 6 years old and a trim 8.1 lbs. No belly on her!

(Buster, however....well, that is another matter. He is a pig.)
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:42 pm
farmerman wrote:
Indi-That pic is disgusting, looks like an alien cat.

An alien cat that could lay eggs in your stomach and eat you alive. But she's still cute.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:58 pm
Miranda is Vogue slim.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:14 am
I've had altered cats with varied girths. Patty, petite. Miranda, medium. Mikey, gigantic (though not so much fat as just plain big).

I saw a tv show the other night in which tigers were featured. The narrator was pointing out the muscles under the fur. Visible even with the heavy coat. Mikey has muscles like that--and a bit of a flabby belly. Hey, nobody's poifect.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:24 am
Individual wrote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/2_week-old_Female_Sphynx_%28Suki%29.jpg

Quote:
All your base are ours!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:28 am
Aw, I like that hairless cat!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:55 am
A friend of mine has an unspayed female cat and three others. It is terrible for all of them when Schira is in heat. I don't even call her during that time... She's had her for about three years now and believe me, this is not getting better. She had planned on breading with her - Schira is a Kanaani - but changed her mind. Now she says she does not have the money to have her fixed. I hope she will have it soon.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:03 am
That must be a really expensive procedure, over there. I didn't believe it possible to occupy the same house with an unneutered cat, when they were in heat. Tom cats, like mine, are always in heat, of course.
0 Replies