The CAT room!

Misti26 II

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:07 pm
Momma Angel, Paddy is more striped, and yes, he IS A BIG CAT!

msolga, Paddy's sniffles are all gone now, I only heard him sneeze once today, so I am really relieved about it. I hated to see the poor little (BIG) fella suffer, they're so helpless.

He was soooooooo funny a little while ago ... I wished I had my camera handy, and I knew if I got up to get it he would change his position. He was laying on his back, rear paws facing the ceiling, front paws out facing another direction, in other words half of his body was on it's side, the other half he was on his back.

I guess you had to be there!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:25 am
So glad to hear that Paddy's feeling better, Misti. Take it from me - the snuffles are the absolute pits!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:58 am
would you describe Paddy as a tabby in the US Misti? (someone described him that way on previous page) - there are lots of language differences - is this another? We'd call him ginger. Rosie is tabby. I like the term tuxedo cat you use for black and white cats, never used here - well we don't say tuxedo for evening wear either!

Are there any Oz specific terms msolga and margo?
0 Replies

Misti26 II

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:56 pm
Hi Vivien:

Paddy is known as an "Orange Tabby", and since there are all sorts of different colored tabbies, the term orange tabby describes him best.

Yes Vivien, the colo(u)r orange is known as "ginger" where I grew up too:)

What do you call a "tuxedo"?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:55 am
tuxedo - unfortunately just a black-and-white cat - not very picturesque, I like the descriptive term tuxedo for them

we'd never describe a ginger cat as a tabby and see ginger cats as something else entirely, so I was really surprised to see that to describe him - two nations divided by a common language and all that!

I love descriptive phrases

- and Paddy is GINGER!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 04:36 am
Vivien wrote:
tuxedo - unfortunately just a black-and-white cat - not very picturesque ...

NOT VERY PICTURESQUE?!

JUST a black & white cat?

Hang on, Vivien, I'll pass that opinion onto my tuxedo cat! He happens to think he's exquisite! Utterly so! :wink:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:29 am
no that wasn't put very clearly!

I meant our description 'black and white cat' isn't picturesque whereas tuxedo is!

too many late nights and fried brain cells Very Happy

and Flatty is of course EXTREMELY picturesque, beautiful and utterly gorgeous!!!!! (as was my Timmy) Laughing
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 03:23 pm
The German name for a tuxedo cat is 'cow cat'. I absolutely prefer tuxedo cat!

Nisse is helping me type this and he doesn't care - tuxedo, cow, whatever... He is a grey tiger!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 03:26 pm
Tabby is a specific pattern of markings, regardless of color. The stripes take a butterfly wing pattern. Anything with stripes is usually called a tabby, but is better called a brindle.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 03:30 pm
Can I still call Nisse a cat, Roger?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:17 pm
Speaking of picturesque Flatty - MsOlga, where are the pictures you promised us?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:54 pm
urs53 wrote:

Razz

Possum doesn't know he's a cat - or doesn't fully comprehend - or doesn't want to.

He's part dog, part cat, part human, and a fair amount of devil!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 07:56 pm
urs53 wrote:

Why not. I can't think of anything more dignified.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:12 am
cow cat? oh I don't like that! yes tuxedo is much better

Roger, tabby here is about stripes but ginger definitely isn't included - tabbies can be the traditional mix of browns, bits of ginger and black and white - or grey tabbies, where the word grey is included in the description. Rosie is a Tortoiseshell tabby because she has whorls and spots as well as stripes. The breakdown is quite specific.

Any other colourful descriptions from around the world? Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:38 pm
littlek wrote:
Speaking of picturesque Flatty - MsOlga, where are the pictures you promised us?

Promised, k? I promised?
I said I'd learn how to do it. :wink:

Right now, sadly, my brain is utterly cluttered with return to work concerns. Oh joy!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:40 pm
Vivien wrote:
... and Flatty is of course EXTREMELY picturesque, beautiful and utterly gorgeous!!!!! (as was my Timmy) Laughing

Laughing

Of course!
Absolutely!
You speak the truth, Vivien!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:31 pm
Ok, I stretched the truth a bit....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:41 pm
littlek wrote:
Ok, I stretched the truth a bit....

Yes, you did! Laughing
Seriously, I hate manuals! And "how to do it" directions online. Gotta get over this ... I know, I know!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:55 pm
Just turn on the camera and hit the big button that makes it go click. Then, plug it in and wait for your computer to tell you what to do next. Maybe...?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:11 pm
Hi gang, Did just a bit of catching up. Mikey is a tabby and white guy. When I first got him, I said that it looked as if someone has cut up patches of tabby and threw them in the air. Where they landed is where Mikey is tabby.

The monster cat stole my dinner two nights ago. Hey, can't a girl go to the bathroom without hiring armed guards? C'est la vie.

(Good to see you all.)
0 Replies