The CAT room!

Roberta

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:14 pm
Misti, You might as well move the knick knacks. You're fighting a losing battle. At least that was my experience with Miranda the DESTRUCTOR.

URS, Mikey doesn't move things when he sits. I think they move things (and destroy them) only when they want to.

After I had removed all breakables from Miranda's reach, she want after a pewter pitcher I bought when I was in Norway. I thought I was putting it out of her reach, but she always managed to get to it and knock it over. This went on for days--until she finally put a dent in it. Then she never bothered with it again. She moved on to see what else she could destroy.

When I refer to her as the DESTRUCTOR, I'm not exaggerating. She destroyed a sofa, a swivel rocker, a stereo, all breakables, and part of my wardrobe. Mikey mostly focuses his destructive tendencies on me. But he has ripped up my grandmother's white silk wing chair. C'est la vie avec les chats.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:50 pm
A Louis update.

I purchased flights for my family to join me in Michigan. Louis will be tagging along. Unfortunately, on the second and third leg of the trip, he will be relegated to below decks. Apparently Midwest Air doesn't allow pets in the passenger cabin.

Poor Louis.

While I feel bad, the fact that we rescued him from a life under the house of the most disgusting neighbor you'd ever not want to know, gives me some comfort. I'm sure Louis will be just fine, and very glad to see his family when he emerges from the belly of the airborn beast.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 12:58 am
At least he's part of the party, cjhsa! Now he knows he really belongs! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:34 am
GrrrrrRrrrrrrRrrrrr . . .

yapyapyapyapyap . . .

pantpantpant . . . scritchscratchscritch . . .

okseeyahbye
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 11:22 am
Frontline needed urgently for Set!

aaah that's lovely, taking Louis. Expect him to be very disorientated and worried - cats are very territorial. At least he'll have the familythere though.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:37 pm
Say a prayer for Louis and that he doesn't catch pneumonia and kick the bucket. We'll do what we can to keep him warm. I never would have purchased those tickets if I knew the airline didn't allow pets in the passenger cabin.

I bet they serve peanuts though.

Wink

I am not a big cat fancier and have only known two cats in my life that I gave a crap about. One belonged to a neighbor and though it was usually sweet, it would do the "roll over rub my tummy" thing that I only fell for once. Ouch. Louis is pretty cool, doglike in many ways (he comes when you call him, at least 50% of the time). My kids adore him, so he's not getting left behind. I just hope he makes it. Eeek.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 09:51 pm
Sucks to find out he has to be in "steerage" after you've already purchased the tickets! But I think they've had to crack down on making sure pets that go in the baggage compartment must be treated safely, because of a lot of problems with it in the past. You're right to think about the cold, though, give him a good blankie!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:14 am
I sure hope they give him an injection to put him to sleep before takeoff! It would be cruel if they didn't.

Meantime, he will be a very happy kitty to get out on landing and finding his family again.

Best of luck!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:19 am
Rae had her 40th Birthday party tonight, (actually her birthday is the 22nd). There were 4 screaming kids there, and a little schnauzer who just wanted attention, which I gave him. I knew Lacey was in the bath, so eventually I went in there and she remembered me, she let me stroke her and rub her belly and she licked my hand. I brought her out to the porch to say Hi to everyone, but unfortunately the kids screaming got her upset and I had to bring her back to her digs. Poor Lacey!

Lacey is a beautiful little kitty, tuxedo, and very gentlle and kind. I just love her!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 06:48 am
poor Lacey - Happy Birthday Rae.

How is Paddy with the Christmas tree?

I may put ours up later today or if not then maybe tomorrow so we'll see how well behaved (or not) ours are this year. Unbreakable stuff on the lowest branches is the rule in this house though!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 07:23 pm
Yes, poor little Lacey. Sad A dog, children AND Paddy! Too much! Shocked

Happy 40th, Rae! Very Happy
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 03:10 am
Nisse would probably be hiding for a week! Although he is getting better if there are only up to two people visiting. He comes down and looks at them and he has some special friends now.

When my parents came to visit for half an hour a couple of weeks ago, he did not show up at all. Clever little guy! Of course, BigDice set a good example - staying in bed while they were here... ;-)

Both Nisse and Mysan had a good time while we were in Florida in October/November. Our neighbour came over every day and read all our cookbooks while the cats were snuggling up to her. She enjoyed it, too. Not her dog, though... She's a bit jealous. But we brought a gift from Florida for her so she's ok, I guess...
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 05:58 am
it's nice that they have company and don't fret urs. Ours like some visitors and not others. Rosie is a real scaredy cat outside and wouldn't let anyone near her but in the house she's quite brave and curious about them - they are expected to entertain her and play.

I took some photos this morning of them playing - a box from a trimmer I'd bought was fascinating Rosie (she has an absolute fetish about bags and boxes) - it's only shallow but at one point she managed to get inside it! Paddy then had to join in and I did a sort of Boomerang composite of the pics. I missed the one of squashed Rosie with only tail sticking out of the box Sad as I couldn't get the camera in time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/vivien/paddyandrosieplayingwiththetrimmerb.jpg

If anyone remembers how Rosie felt about him at this time last year you'd never believe she was the same cat! She's genuinely fond of him now and is happy to see him when he comes in from his travels, usually wanting to play when he's ready to eat and sleep Rolling Eyes They thunder up and down stairs like a herd of wildebeest and there's only an occasional wail of protest from one or the other 'cos the game got a bit rough - they back off immediately though and there doesn't seem to be any bullying on either side, which is lovely.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 06:33 am
Vivien wrote:
If anyone remembers how Rosie felt about him at this time last year you'd never believe she was the same cat! She's genuinely fond of him now and is happy to see him when he comes in from his travels, usually wanting to play when he's ready to eat and sleep Rolling Eyes They thunder up and down stairs like a herd of wildebeest and there's only an occasional wail of protest from one or the other 'cos the game got a bit rough - they back off immediately though and there doesn't seem to be any bullying on either side, which is lovely.

Aw, cats in bliss!
And I do remember, Vivien! This is a truly remarkable transformation! Surprised Ah, it does my heart good seeing them so happy! Very Happy

Hello there , urs! Lovely to see you again. Hey, any photographs?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 08:03 am
With all of our furniture moved out of the house, Louis has taken to sleeping in his cat carrier. So, hopefully it won't be too difficult to get him on the plane. Sleep little Louis...sleep

http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SQAAAHgXyYJ1ZsUSQgmJuPGkX!5VYpmP!VOD5V0A7wlxGHU4DhPHOJ5rw4JmZhakE!Mxwjx0Tuuozepm2UxLEBw9*7IzYJ2HvUcWSY8VjiPrDG!0GiSmDw/sleepycat.jpg
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 06:13 pm
Aww, he's a debonair fellow, isn't he? Very handsome. When does the move happen, cj?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:22 pm
All the wonderful photos are making me smile.

I was in the hospital for a week earlier this year. A friend came to feed Mikey. She never saw him. She knew he was here. His food was eaten. His litter box was used. But no cat in sight. He emerged from seclusion when I returned home. He's too big to be so shy. I think he was sulking.

Good luck with the move, cjhsa. Louis is a cutie.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 05:36 am
Louis is going to be OK, cjhsa & very happy he wasn't left behind once you're all settled again. And he's going to be BIG, judging by the size of his feet! Very Happy
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 07:58 am
That was taken about four months ago. He's a big CAT now. I am worried about the move though. They leave tonight. It's pretty cold in the midwest right now. I know they do provide some heat in the cargo holds or people's personal items would freeze and explode, so I'm thinking Louis is going to be cold, but not frozen.

Moving my family across the country and killing the cat at the same time would not be a good thing, my fault or not.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2005 10:20 am
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/HandsupKitty.jpg
0 Replies