Democratic achievements in Congress

nimh

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 07:46 pm
If you want to look these things up for yourself, here's the Senate bill (thats got the extra spending pegged at $18 billion) in full:

"Senate Report 110-037 - MAKING EMERGENCY SUPPLEMENTAL APPROPRIATIONS FOR THE FISCAL YEAR ENDING SEPTEMBER 30, 2007, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES"
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/R?cp110:FLD010:@1(sr037)

As the Summary of Bill notes, the President requested a grand total of $103 billion, and the Senate is suggesting to give him $122 billion instead - $18 billion extra.

So where did the extra money go in the Senate version? It's not, or hardly, in the main part of the bill, "Title I: Global War on Terror Supplemental Appropriations". Bush asked for $100 billion, the Senate is proposing $102 billion.

No, most of it is in "Title II: Katrina Recovery, Veterans' Care and for Other Emergencies". Bush wanted $3.4 billion, Senate wants to spend $14.8 billion. Thats a lot of extra money the Dems want to spend.

So whats in this "Title II"? Is it all peanut storage funding? Well, no. For example, it's got:

• $595 million for medical facilities for the Veterans Health Administration. Why? Remember Walter Reed. The Department of Defense has assessed a total of $5 billion worth of deficiencies at existing facilities. The $595 million that the Senate has added to the budget will allow the Department to address at least the most critical needs within the system, including fire and life safety issues.
  • $454 million for medical services for the Veterans Health Administration. This includes, for example, $10 million for better outpatient services for blind veterans.
  • $30 million for research related to returning Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom veterans and deployment health.
Mind you, the House bill must include a considerably larger proportion of funds devoted to veterans still, considering the News & Observer numbers.

One big whopper, making up a sixth of the extra spending Senate is proposing at once is $3.1 billion that's needed to fully fund the round of military base closures that the Bush administration has requested.

All pork? It is the "Global War on Terror Supplemental Appropriations Act" - shouldnt properly taking care of returning soldiers be part of any war funding?

Then there's stuff like this (War on terror's local front: the battle of the budget bill):

Quote:
Senator [..] Murray's port-security measure, the Security and Accountability for Every Port Act, also would get a boost from the war spending bill. [Republican-majority] Congress approved her port bill last September but stripped out most of the funding.

So Murray added $295 million to the Iraq spending bill. It would pay for port-security grants, cargo screening overseas and more customs officers. The Port of Tacoma would get $5 million to create a test project to screen cargo moving from ship to rail.

"The safe-ports act provides a comprehensive system to protect our people and our economy from terrorists," Murray said. "The White House has not put the dollars behind port security that are needed, so I'm doing it in the Senate."

Port security and cargo screening. Which the Republicans stripped out most of the funding for last year. When you're talking "Global War on Terror", this sounds relevant to me.

Now on a different note, admittedly, there is, for example:

• $1.3 billion for repairs to flood and storm damage reduction projects in Louisiana (remember those levees that turned out to be in such bad shape when Katrina hit, that everyone was so angry about).
  • $108 million for flood and storm damage reduction measures in Mississippi
  • $6 million for the National Ocean Service's disaster response and preparedness for the Gulf of Mexico coast
Now that sounds more like pork according to the Wikipedia definition. But although these things have nothing to do with the "war on terror", they're to do with national security - and reasonably defensible as "emergency appropriations".

Now it's clear that there are plenty of ridiculous pork items also included in these bills (peanut storage, ggrr). But if someone like McGentrix wants you to believe that the Dems have just thrown $21 billion of your tax money to blatant pork-barrel spending, look at the above numbers and decide for yourself. Is upgrading veteran hospitals to at least meet fire and safety standards, pork? Is setting up much-needed extra teams and clinics for returning vets with PTSD, pork?

(And what was that old conservative trope again about Democrats not caring for the military?)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 07:49 pm
All in a bill guaranteed to be vetoed.

If they really cared, they would put all that in a seperate spending bill and vote on it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:02 pm
If Bush really cared he would have proposed the money for Iraq in the regular budget instead of relying on a supplemental. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 08:56 pm
parados wrote:
If Bush really cared he would have proposed the money for Iraq in the regular budget instead of relying on a supplemental. Rolling Eyes

again.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 09:30 pm
Thanks for sharing, Nimh. (BM)
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:42 pm
I did read somewhere that the bill was well-larded for two reasons. First, the Dems feel it is time to blow the whistle on our presence in the middle of a civil war. Second, this is Pelosi's first major piece of legislation as Speaker, and the Dems wanted to ensure passage.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:43 pm
Yes, Pelosi had to bribe many members to actually vote for it.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 02:45 pm
Right, whatever it takes. The lives of our troops are precious to the Dems, if not to the Reps and Bush.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 30 Mar, 2007 04:34 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Nimh. (BM)

No problem, Bill. It was educational for me. Probably is for anyone, who hasnt already in advance made his mind up about what to think.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 08:34 am
As shown in a recent cartoon, Pelosi has produced pork for peace.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 31 Mar, 2007 03:26 pm
Advocate wrote:
Right, whatever it takes. The lives of our troops are precious to the Dems, if not to the Reps and Bush.

Thats why they proposed the "slow bleed" plan,designed to force the military out of Iraq by slowly denying them material and equipment?
Thats why they add all that pork,totally unrelated to defense,to a bill.
Thats why they pass a bill they KNOW the President will veto,because they "care" about the troops.

Thats why they pass legislation with a "timeline" for us to "redeploy".
BTW,another way to say redeploy is RUN AWAY.
The dems have said that we cant win in Iraq,that shows that they have no faith in or belief in our military.
They think our armed forces arent able to do the job.
The dems are wrong.

They want the US to run away by a certain date.
That gives the enemy the ability to claim victory,it allows them free reign to attack and kill or wound more troops,because they know we arent going to hit them back like we can,because the dems wont let us.

By announcing that there is a definite pullout date,it tells the enemy that if they want to lay low,then they can do whatever they want after we leave.

The dems sure do care about the troops,and their actions "prove it".
They care so much,that they have just made sure that there will be no money for them.

If they care,why are they waiting till AFTER the military needs the money to send the bill to committee to reach a compromise between the house and senate versions?
Why are they taking their spring break,instead of working on the bill?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 09:53 am
Our troops would not be hurt under the bills passed by the House and Senate because they would be withdrawn as the money dries up.

Sometimes it is good to run away. Would you prefer that we stay in the middle of a civil war, at a place where the vast majority of people want us dead? What is there to win? Say we help set up a relatively stable government at fantastic cost to us. We leave and then, in all likelihood, the government falls. Would, then, our sacrifice be worth it?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2007 10:29 am
mysteryman wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Thats why they proposed the "slow bleed" plan,designed to force the military out of Iraq by slowly denying them material and equipment?
So, does that mean that when the troops went in without that material and equipment because they didn't have it it was a "slow bleed" plan?
Quote:
Thats why they add all that pork,totally unrelated to defense,to a bill.
Did you say the same thing when the GOP passed the Iraq supplemental bill in 2005 that included funds for the Tsunami? Did you say the same thing when they passed the 2006 supplemental with funds for Katrina, agriculture, etc? (The senate version in 2006 had $39 billion not related to military spending.) Did Bush threaten to veto those bills because of the pork? No. Yet suddenly, non military spending is nothing but pork. How stupid do you think we are MM?
Quote:

Thats why they pass a bill they KNOW the President will veto,because they "care" about the troops.
As opposed to the people that care so much they sent them in without equipment in the first place.
Quote:

Thats why they pass legislation with a "timeline" for us to "redeploy".
BTW,another way to say redeploy is RUN AWAY.
How many times did you RUN AWAY when you were in the military MM? I'll bet you did it at least 4 times if not more.

Quote:

The dems have said that we cant win in Iraq,that shows that they have no faith in or belief in our military.
Only a fool thinks you can win the peace with the military.
Quote:

They think our armed forces arent able to do the job.
The dems are wrong.
The military did the job. The F*** politicians screwed it up.
Quote:

They want the US to run away by a certain date.
That gives the enemy the ability to claim victory,it allows them free reign to attack and kill or wound more troops,because they know we arent going to hit them back like we can,because the dems wont let us.

By announcing that there is a definite pullout date,it tells the enemy that if they want to lay low,then they can do whatever they want after we leave.
So your solution is we never leave? How do you suggest we leave if we never set a date for those soldiers to leave? I don't know of any military operation that doesn't plan to happen on specific timelines. The invasion was planned with one. How do you propose we move troops out if we never plan to do so?
Quote:

The dems sure do care about the troops,and their actions "prove it".
They care so much,that they have just made sure that there will be no money for them.
Really? When did the dems cut all funding for the military? The last time I checked the largest item in our budget was still the military.
Quote:

If they care,why are they waiting till AFTER the military needs the money to send the bill to committee to reach a compromise between the house and senate versions?
Gee if Bush cared why didn't he include the request in the budget that was passed in Oct of last year? The war hardly snuck up on us between Oct and March.
Quote:

Why are they taking their spring break,instead of working on the bill?
Why did Bush take a vacation last August instead of changing his budget request then?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 08:36 pm
All good points Parados....especially the mentions of the previous Iraqi supplemental bills and the extra items that were added to those pieces of legislation.

And it seems the MM has missed the part of the 'pork' that includes all the miliatary and security spending. I'm not sure how those things are 'buying votes', they seem to be needed improvements that the Republican congress failed to act upon while they were adding a 320 million dollar bridge to nowhere up in Alaska to their supplemental bills.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 2 Apr, 2007 09:22 pm
Bolth the House and Senate bills contain funds for needed Katrina projects. If that is pork, I am all for it.

Pelosi traveling to Syria is an excellent idea, inasmuch Bush, despite recommendations in the Baker-Hamilton Repot, won't negotiate. Similarly, Richardson's trip to N. Korea is similarly a fine accomplishment.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 07:47 am
Democrats' Cause Is Tempered by Political Realities

Quote:
During the 12 years that Republicans ran the House, their leaders didn't pay much attention to affordable-housing activists. Despite soaring rents and complaints of a deepening affordability crisis, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) told his conference that he didn't want to see housing bills on the floor. He thought housing programs were unreformed welfare -- and they competed for the same pot of money in an annual funding bill as his beloved NASA.

But now that Democrats took over the House in November, their leaders are affordable-housing activists. Liberals Barney Frank (Mass.) and Maxine Waters (Calif.) run the two panels overseeing housing policy after agitating for years, without success, for increased government rent assistance. They came to office promising to pass the first major housing legislation since the early 1990s.

Last month, the House passed their bill, a measure to address the housing shortages that have festered on the Gulf Coast since Hurricane Katrina hit in August 2005. After the storm wiped out 82,000 rental units in New Orleans, DeLay blocked a housing bill from Richard H. Baker (R-La.) because, sources said, the majority leader did not consider Baker a "team player." But Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), now speaker of the House, campaigned on Katrina inaction -- a prime example, she told audiences last fall, of the "do-nothing Congress" -- and vowed a fast reversal. The resulting Democratic bill includes several bold precedents, including a "right to return" for all displaced hurricane victims and "one-for-one replacement" for all demolished public housing units.

Democratic leaders say the Katrina bill -- which has yet to come up for a vote in the Senate -- is just a beginning. They hope to create a huge affordable-housing trust fund, restrict predatory lending, expand rent subsidies and tax credits for low-income housing, and push the federal government back into apartment construction.

"It's night and day," said Michael Kane, an affordable-housing advocate in Boston. "The atmosphere has totally changed."

But with housing -- as with higher-profile issues such as global warming and Iraq -- the new congressional leaders are trying to balance their ideas of what is desirable with their assessments of what is fiscally and politically possible during the Bush administration. So they are pushing low-cost measures that many Republicans can support, while promising their liberal base they will do more later.

"Everything we do is a political calculation; we're constantly thinking about what can become law," said Frank, the acerbic new chairman of the House Financial Services Committee. "We're interested in getting practical results."

On the Katrina bill, that meant making deals beyond the Democrats' liberal constituencies -- and the sponsors' own inclinations. Republicans were allowed to offer amendments, and one barring felons from public housing passed over the opposition of Democratic leaders. Similarly, in an effort to ensure bipartisan support and a presidential signature, Frank quietly killed three Democratic amendments that would have subsidized tens of thousands of families who lost homes in Katrina, although he relented on one of them. And he berated one activist who urged him to do more.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:14 am
I hope you will excuse me for posting something that proves that some good things come out of Washington.

THESE ARE ENTRIES TO A WASHINGTONPOST COMPETITION ASKING FOR A RHYME WITH THE MOST ROMANTIC FIRST LINE BUT THE LEAST ROMANTIC SECOND LINE:

(1) Love may be beautiful, love may be bunk,
But I only slept with you, because I was drunk.
(2) I thought that I could love no other
that is until I met your brother.
(3) Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you.
But the roses are wilting, the violets are dead,
the sugar bowl's empty and so is your head.

(4) Of loving beauty you float with grace
If only you could hide your face.

(5) Kind, intelligent, loving and hot;
This describes everything you are not.
(6) I want to feel your sweet embrace
But don't take that paper bag off of your face.
(7) I love your smile, your face, and your eyes -
Damn, I'm good at telling lies!
(8) My darling, my lover, my beautiful wife:
Marrying you screwed up my life.
(9) I see your face when I am dreaming.
That's why I always wake up screaming.
(10) My love, you take my breath away.
What have you stepped in to smell this way?
(11) My feelings for you no words can tell,
Except for maybe "go to hell".

(12) What inspired this amorous rhyme?
Two parts vodka, one part lime.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 08:38 am
That will lighten up a thread, Advocate.

Thanks for the chuckles this morning.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:23 pm
I totally forgot about this thread! Shame on me.

But here's one for it:

"WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED almost a decade ago finally happened Thursday. Congress approved a minimum wage raise for the lowest-paid workers. They won a $2.10 raise, and President Bush is expected to sign the bill quickly."

That's from this story:

Quote:
Minimum wage hike long overdue

The Hattiesburg American

[..] Workers who now make $5.15 an hour will get a raise of 70 cents per hour before the end of the summer. Another 70 cents will be added next year, and by summer 2009, all minimum-wage jobs will pay no less than $7.25 an hour.

It's been a tug of war between Democrats and Republicans as to whether a minimum wage hike would pass. With Republicans in control of Congress since the early 1990s, and Republicans seeing the minimum wage as harmful to business, the likelihood of a raise was slim to none.

With gasoline prices well over $3 a gallon, and food costs as high as they are, minimum-wage workers will still see nearly half of their new hourly wages go toward the very basic of necessities.

How Congress ignored that for so long may go down as one of the great mysteries of government for ages.

Here's more detail on it - even in Oklahoma business groups as well as worker advocates are applauding the move.

Quote:
Advocates applaud minimum wage hike

NewsOK.com
Sat May 26, 2007

Business groups and advocates for low-wage workers in Oklahoma said Friday raising the federal minimum wage for the first time in more than a decade was appropriate and long overdue.

The minimum wage will rise incrementally to $7.25 over the next two years from its current level of $5.15. The accord was part of a $120 billion U.S. Senate bill passed late Thursday funding the war in Iraq.

President Bush is expected to sign the bill.

"This is long overdue," said state Rep. Richard Morrissette, D-Oklahoma City, who has tried unsuccessfully for the past few years to increase the state's minimum wage. "If you don't pay people decent wages, you create problems down the line."

Incremental raise
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 26 May, 2007 05:53 pm
Just watch!! Bush will take credit for the minimum wage hike.

The Dems just commenced hearings on the maltreatment, or nontreatment, of soldiers and vets suffering from mental illness. The revelations are pretty chilling.
0 Replies