with or without anasthesia?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 06:17 am
well... you might feel a little prick... :wink:
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 07:47 am
One of these mornings I will have to remember to roll over, nudge squinny and ask her what she thinks about the arrangements.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 07:55 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
well... you might feel a little prick...
and so the truth was revealed...it's okay Bippy, we love ya for your charm and winning smile, there's more to life than just size

(sure hope he believes that...oh, is the microphone still on? Oh dear, I said MICRO)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 12:55 pm
aidan wrote:
In terms of the Tahitians, I would find that custom troubling and repellent. And not because it's different than what I was raised to view as appropriate or right in any way, but because I know what children are and aren't ready for- emotionally and intellectually- and I know what they are giving up when they engage in something -or more commonly are forced to engage in something- they aren't emotionally or even physically ready for.
I'm sure those eleven and twelve year old girls were not asked their permission and did not give their consent-unless of course they'd been raised to believe they were fulfilling a woman's ultimate function in life-which very well may have been the case.

I find sex between adults and children just plain wrong on so many levels- and I've seen what it does to the girls mostly (but boys as well) who have been subjected to it.

And then there's the whole privacy and choice issue-for the child. I don't think it's right to steal that prerogative from anyone.

I'm glad I was a twelve year old girl when and where I was as opposed to in Tahiti during Captain Cooke's time. Of course you may view it differently as you're a man.
Those are just my thoughts on it.
You make a slew of unsubstantiated assumptions, thusly in order to support your claims you have to show that the Tahitians were "harmed", all you have done is apply your narrow-minded sexual mores and preconceptions to another culture.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 01:16 pm
The article you posted itself says that the girl was 11 or 12. That takes it into something quite apart from just "separate sex partners" or consenting adults doing whatever they dang well please.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 02:58 pm
My point to comparing the pre-colonial Tahitian culture to our (presumably more advanced) Western culture was to demonstrate that there have been other cultures which have had differing sexual mores, not to argue the age of consent.

However, if you believe that pre-colonial Tahitian culture was more harmful "in toto" than our (presumably more advanced) Western culture then state your claims clearly and we'll see.

Keep in mind, I will assert that a number of our (presumably more advanced) Western culture's ills are in part a result of repressive sexual mores manifesting themselves in "harmful" ways.

The gauntlet is thrown, step up the sexual plate batter, the bases are loaded.......

gotta love silly mixed metaphors with some puns and innuendos thrown in for good luck!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:17 pm
The only possible mitigating factors I see are a) the observer was wrong, and the "11 or 12 year old" was actually a small adult, or b) the Tahitian girls reached puberty much earlier than is standard now. I doubt it, but it is possible.

I won't argue about whether adult men should or shouldn't have sex with 11 or 12 year old girls (or boys) now. It's wrong. Period. You can disagree, but I won't argue it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:21 pm
Are you inclined to provide unsubstantiated moral assertions in our (presumably more advanced) Western culture and in the pre-colonial Tahitian culture as well? If so why? If not why this time? Why do you make unsubstantiated moral assertions you are not willing to back up?

The unexamined life……
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:41 pm
Chumly wrote:
Quote:
You make a slew of unsubstantiated assumptions, thusly in order to support your claims you have to show that the Tahitians were "harmed", all you have done is apply your narrow-minded sexual mores and preconceptions to another culture.

I think you're the one who's making unsubstantiated assumptions. How do you know I have narrow-minded mores and preconceptions to even try to apply to another culture?

1)I don't think it's ever okay for adults to have sex with children
2) I do think people (of any age) should be able to have control of their own bodies so that they can either choose to engage or not to engage- and as long as it's consensual on both sides and between adults who are fully sentient and mentally competent enough to understand what's going on-that's where my concern stops. I don't care what they choose to engage in, as I said, I consider it none of my business.

I'm interested in what you consider to be repressive. I think it's repressive to judge other peoples' decisions. So I don't. But I think you're being repressive when you tell me that because I have certain opinions, I'm repressed-but I don't take it personally- because I know the truth is pretty much the opposite. If I were truly repressed by anything anyone thought or said, I'd let it change my behavior.
I've never really thought about sexually repressive influences in western culture because I have to say, I've never really felt sexually repressed- have you?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 08:05 pm
I'll respond soon, I've got some doors to hang downstairs!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:16 pm
Quote:

It's funny how quickly you can turn any polite conversation into an argument by calling anyone who respectfully disagrees with you narrow minded, isn't it, Chumly? Or maybe you aren't aware, since you are always that instigator.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:37 am
stuh505,
I suggest you learn about the numerous logical fallacies you have instituted and consider this an inappropriate thread to display your fallacious allegations and unawareness. I note I am far from the only poster you direct ad hominems and specious rhetoric to.
stuh505 wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
Emotions aren't instincts, but we have instincts to feel emotions under certain situations. I'm surprised that anyone would disagree with that...

I'm surprised anyone would say something so inane.

I'm not surprised you would be so inane.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93355&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 08:50 am
Chumly, what are you trying to do by showing this, embarrass me? joefromchicago acted like a baby there, very similarly to the way you're acting now, and I have no respect for it. Insults and intimidation tactics may work just fine for you when dealing with women or insecure men in your own life, but I just laugh at you. It doesn't even seem like you read or comprehend what people say to you...you're like a stupid little robot that just says "you're illogical."
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 09:15 am
aidan wrote:
In terms of the Tahitians, I would find that custom troubling and repellent. And not because it's different than what I was raised to view as appropriate or right in any way, but because I know what children are and aren't ready for- emotionally and intellectually- and I know what they are giving up when they engage in something -or more commonly are forced to engage in something- they aren't emotionally or even physically ready for.
I'm sure those eleven and twelve year old girls were not asked their permission and did not give their consent-unless of course they'd been raised to believe they were fulfilling a woman's ultimate function in life-which very well may have been the case.

I find sex between adults and children just plain wrong on so many levels- and I've seen what it does to the girls mostly (but boys as well) who have been subjected to it.

Chumly's direct response wrote:

(of course, this is Chumly's response to everything. We should have never taught the monkeys to talk before teaching them the meaning of words)

I shall restrain myself from attempting to educate you on the definitions of "slew" and "fallacy" and "logic"...but while we are on the subject of unsubstantiated assumptions, I would like to suggest a much more plausible assumption that (given your response) does have some potential substance to it:

Chumly is a child molester who seeks approval for his actions, and gets angry when anyone finds his behavior objectionable. Maybe that's the real reason your wife left you.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 05:47 pm
Chumly's a rebel. Laughing
Don't know what exactly he's rebelling against though.

We both live in Canada, Chum. Don't know where exactly you live, but I think it's safe to say that we have the freedom to do whatever we damn well please sexually so long as we aren't molesting or abusing children.

Considering that the age of consent is *cuss swear scream* pathetically low - there isn't much to argue even from a teeny-pervy-point of view.

Not accusing you of being a teeny-pervy, just saying, even if you were, you'd still be protected in this land of ours.

Far as I figure, if folks want several sex partners - go for it. Seems greedy and senseless to get married if that is what you want though, or to commit to one person - and just plain false and bs.

Those who are secure in what they are doing, generally and whether right or wrong, tend not to need to argue it or bring it out on display all the time.

BTW, I don't know about others, but it's been my experience to be having more lovin' in a committed relationship than when single. And there are reasons for it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:20 pm
Hi flushd,

My reference to the pre-colonial Tahitian culture was firstly as to the moral-value judgement placed on open relationships as per my response to aidan. Not to say that aidan herself did or did not make said judgements; that was not germane to my below response as per:
Chumly wrote:
I don't think it can be said simply if an open relationship is strengthening or harmful. There is a preconceived notion in our modern Western society that it is morally wrong, but that belief in and of itself is meaningless. There have been other cultures which have had differing sexual mores inclusive of more open sexuality. Witness the pre-colonial Tahiti:

Quote:
When, after centuries of isolation, Christian explorers finally discovered such societies, they were amazed and incredulous. For example, when Captain Cook came to Tahiti he was greatly surprised to find that the Tahitians had sexual intercourse in public and "gratified every appetite and passion before witnesses". Thus, he reported in his Account of a Voyage Around the World (1769):

"A young man, nearly six feet high, performed the rites of Venus with a little girl about 11 or 12 years of age, before several of our people and a great number of natives, without the least sense of its being indecent or improper, but, as appeared, in perfect conformity to the custom of the place. Among the spectators were several women of superior rank who . . . gave instructions to the girl how to perform her part, which, young as she was, she did not seem much to stand in need of."

In spite of his consternation, however, Captain Cook apparently kept his composure and did not try to stop the performance. After all, he was not a moral crusader, but a practical Englishman, a seasoned world traveler, and a son of the Age of Enlightenment. It was left to the Christian missionaries of a later time to become outraged and to eradicate the traditional island customs. Indeed, one can easily imagine the effect the sexual spectacle would have had on Augustine, had he been able to witness it. One can also assume that it would not have changed his opinion. Instead of admitting that he had been proven wrong by the "shameless" islanders, he would probably have condemned them all as slaves of the devil.

At any rate, we know only too well what would happen to the Tahitian performers if they appeared in the United States today. Any man who performed in a "live sex show" with an eleven-year-old girl would be sent to prison as a statutory rapist. Even worse, as a "child molester" or "pedophile", he could be declared a "sexual psychopath". This means that, before, after, or instead of serving his prison term, he could be committed to a mental hospital for forced psychiatric treatment. If he should ever be released, he would be required to register with the police for the rest of his life. The girl, on the other hand, would be regarded as a juvenile delinquent and could be sent to "reform school". Finally, the entire audience might be arrested for having witnessed, and thereby encouraged, an act of public "lewdness and obscenity".

As this example illustrates, the moral values of modern America differ profoundly from those of pre-colonial Tahiti. There, people were applauded as valuable members of the community, who are here considered criminal or insane. What Americans now abhor as the moral "corruption of minors", the Tahitians encouraged as practical sex education. What appears sinful to us, often had a religious purpose for them. As a matter of fact, they supported a special order of celebrants (the Arioi society) who were trained to give public sexual performances. In short, the Tahitians subscribed to a sexual philosophy that is nearly the opposite of our own.
http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/ATLAS_EN/html/sex_and_society.html

As to my second reference to the pre-colonial Tahitian culture, that was to sozobe as per her views on the age of consent and was not again germane as to my moral-sexual-value-system not that it matters one iota as to my comparative-moral-sexual argument as per:
Chumly wrote:
My point to comparing the pre-colonial Tahitian culture to our (presumably more advanced) Western culture was to demonstrate that there have been other cultures which have had differing sexual mores, not to argue the age of consent.

However, if you believe that pre-colonial Tahitian culture was more harmful "in toto" than our (presumably more advanced) Western culture then state your claims clearly and we'll see.

Keep in mind, I will assert that a number of our (presumably more advanced) Western culture's ills are in part a result of repressive sexual mores manifesting themselves in "harmful" ways.

The gauntlet is thrown, step up the sexual plate batter, the bases are loaded.......

gotta love silly mixed metaphors with some puns and innuendoes thrown in for good luck!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 10:35 pm
I don't know WHAT your problem is, but I have little tolerance for your idiocy, and ZERO tolerance for you after the way you spoke to Aidan.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 12:13 am
Quote:

I guess my take on it is it may have been more harmful "in toto" to the young girls who were taken by force and put on display. But again, it's all so individual-I don't think any of us can say.
My only point is that that particular scenario almost certainly provided more pleasure for the male than the female.
But I'm in no way generalizing that observation to any other scenario-past, present or future.

I just figured Chumly was stating what he honestly believed-even if it's presumptious for him to believe anything about me-because he doesn't know me- and he was wrong (at least in calling me narrow-minded)- that's okay-I appreciate honesty. And if he wants to go around whistling in the dark- let him- no skin off my nose.
What's up with you guys though?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 01:47 am
Hi-yah aiden,

You assert that the sexual customs of the pre-colonial Tahitians are "troubling and repellent". That is a clear and overt moral judgment. By default it's narrow minded.

You assert that the customs of the pre-colonial Tahitians are "troubling and repellent" and yet in no way support the obvious consideration that our Western culture is not "in toto" any better. That's the pot calling the kettle black, and as such is narrow minded.

You assert that the pre-colonial Tahitian young girls were "taken by force and put on display". In that you place your value judgments on pre-colonial Tahitian culture. By default it's narrow minded.

I would be most interested in your reliable sources for this claim that pre-colonial Tahitian young girls were "taken by force and put on display".

You assert that you know what "children are and aren't ready for emotionally and intellectually" without being able to support this presumed knowledge as it relates to the pre-colonial Tahitians. Your claim of this presumed knowledge is nothing more than your moral judgment as it relates to pre-colonial Tahitian culture, that is narrow minded.

You assert "that particular scenario almost certainly provided more pleasure for the male than the female". You make the value judgment that unless pleasure is equal as it relates to the pre-colonial Tahitian culture it is wrong. That is narrow minded.

You assert "that particular scenario almost certainly provided more pleasure for the male than the female" without being able to support this knowledge as it relates to the pre-colonial Tahitians. Your claim of knowledge is nothing more than your moral judgment as it relates to pre-colonial Tahitian culture, that is narrow minded.

Applicable definitions of narrow minded in this context:
Lacking tolerance, breadth of view, or sympathy

Aiden, you are bound by your (presumably more advanced) Western culture moral idealizations; a presumed advancement I question as you may know.

Even after he had been convicted, Socrates did not abandon his pursuit of the truth in all matters. He refused to accept exile from Athens or a commitment to silence as his penalty, he maintained that public discussion of the great issues are a necessary part of any valuable human life.

Socrates said "the unexamined life is not worth living".
0 Replies