No Child Left Behind is actually working

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 08:02 am
Oh, I think I understand now. Drewdad just wants the smart kids to learn while leaving the dumb kids behind.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 08:35 am
McGentrix wrote:
Oh, I think I understand now. Drewdad just wants the smart kids to learn while leaving the dumb kids behind.

Spoken like a dumb kid.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 08:49 am
Drewdad:

Quote:
Schools are definitely a social environment. Kids learn how to get along with other people.

Your right they learn to get along with other people. Do they deserve to get graded on how well they get alone with others? My child has a grade on his report card named "diversity" and it is graded like the rest of the classes. He gets a 1-4 grade on this.

Quote:
Does not indicate any value judgement being put on homosexuality.

Sure it does. If I don't think homosexuality is right then you would be forcing the schools view of homosexuality on the students. That is placing a value judgement on homosexuality. Do they mention in that homosexual men still have the highest transmission rates of AIDS in the country? I don't see this as something that would be taught seeing as how the teaching of homosexuality in school is dictated by the Gay Agenda people. They won't bring this true fact to the forfront.

Quote:
The problem is that they can't all perform at or above grade level... unless you live in Lake Wobegone where all the children are above average.

I could careless how students in Lake Wobegone are doing, I'm concerned with my children and their friends in my school district. There is no reason why a child with no learning disabilities shouldn't be reading, writting or doing math at their grade level.

Quote:
But that's what NCLB purports to do.

The small percentage of students who can't read or write at grade level should be placed accordingly. If they can't read at a 4th grade level then maybe they should repeat 4th grade so that they can get those skills that are needed for later grades. The days of just passing students on to the next grade has to stop. It doesn't do them or society any good to pass school because it makes the students feel good.

Quote:
I'll say it again: nothing wrong with teaching the basics, but allow teaching past the basics.

I have no problem teaching past the basics but it should only apply to those students who have proven that they can pass the basics. Look at highschools students. Here in CO most of the highschools that I know of including the one where my wife is the schools clinc aide have an open campus system. They chose their own classes and when they will take those classes. Its almost like college and I'm sure its used to prep them for college. If a student in these types of schools is having a hard time doing grade level work, then they shouldn't be allowed to take extra classes that are not required. This school has a CSI class that students can take. Its great that they have it but only students who can prove they can do grade level work should be allowed to take such a class. The failing students should have to take extra classes in the areas where they are weak and having a hard time.

I think this would work well and help those students that need the extra help. For those students who don't have issues with grade level work then by all means give them classes that are going to challenge them.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 09:47 am
Baldimo wrote:
It doesn't do them or society any good to pass school because it makes the students feel good.

I think "feel good" promotion has gone the way of the dodo, but keeping older kids away from the younger kids is a good idea. Move 'em to a separate environment, I say.

Doesn't sound like our basic goals differ much.

Personally, I don't see that NCLB is the way to achieve the goal. If they keep pushing standardized tests down peoples throats, then kids will learn how to pass tests, and not much else.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 11:59 am
DrewDad wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
It doesn't do them or society any good to pass school because it makes the students feel good.

I think "feel good" promotion has gone the way of the dodo, but keeping older kids away from the younger kids is a good idea. Move 'em to a separate environment, I say.

Doesn't sound like our basic goals differ much.

Personally, I don't see that NCLB is the way to achieve the goal. If they keep pushing standardized tests down peoples throats, then kids will learn how to pass tests, and not much else.

No our goal don't differ much it is just the means of getting there that we differ.

You can have a standardized test that isn't the same for everyone. Look at the ACT and SAT. They have a several different versions of the test, but it still tests basic knowledge. Why does no one complain about the ACT and SAT tests?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:01 pm
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Spoken like a dumb kid.

snaaaaaapppppppp!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:08 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Spoken like a dumb kid.

See, I ignored the stupidity of his comment because it was worth being ignored. Your addition here is nothing but fuel on a fire that was going out.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:25 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Spoken like a dumb kid.

See, I ignored the stupidity of his comment because it was worth being ignored. Your addition here is nothing but fuel on a fire that was going out.

mission accomplished. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/mission.jpg
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:39 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Spoken like a dumb kid.

mission accomplished. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/mission.jpg

Hey Bear if you want I could get you some gas? The kind that makes your car go by the way not the kind that comes from beans.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 12:42 pm
Ijust filled up this morning but thanks.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:39 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Ijust filled up this morning but thanks.

I'm in the military you know. I could maybe get you a flame thower. Just a thought let me know if your interested.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 01:45 pm
I'm already in possession of the only weapon that gets SHARPER with constant use...my tongue. Laughing
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 29 Mar, 2007 11:43 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm already in possession of the only weapon that gets SHARPER with constant use...my tongue. Laughing

Nice!
0 Replies