No Child Left Behind is actually working

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:38 am
littlek wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
So, you are suggesting a curriculum based on sex, video games and food?

What?

ebrown_p suggests allowing students to learn what they are interested in. Allowing them to explore and be creative, you know, like in the real world.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:40 am
He's not saying they should have a free-for-all. It IS school after all. Teachers orchestrate the exploration. They pick up on student interest and have the students explore subjects that intrigue them with guidance from the teacher. Or, at least they should in an ideal world.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:50 am
If I am not mistaken, and it has been sometime since I taught, but the state has a curriculum that covers what needs to be taught at each grade level, yes? The teacher has some latitude about how that curriculum is taught, but in general, it acts as a guideline.

One of my favorite topics was the cell. One of the projects I had students do was to diagram a cell. I left it up to them how they wanted to do it. Many simply drew pictures, but the creative ones were wonderful. Some baked cakes and used candies to demonstrate the various organelles. Once, a girl made a sweat shirt with all the organelles on it. Made a nice 3d image.

Creativity and critical thinking skills applied, while meeting the mandated state curriculum. They also learned the various functions and names of cell organelles through homework, quizzes and lecture. Very few were interested in the cell though.

the point here is that the state defines the curriculum. Students are expected to meet minimum requirements (exams) to demonstrate knowledge of the subject area.

No Child Left Behind enables the federal government to examine how students are learning and to pinpoint trouble spots.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 09:55 am
McGentrix wrote:
If I am not mistaken, and it has been sometime since I taught, but the state has a curriculum that covers what needs to be taught at each grade level, yes? The teacher has some latitude about how that curriculum is taught, but in general, it acts as a guideline.

One of my favorite topics was the cell. One of the projects I had students do was to diagram a cell. I left it up to them how they wanted to do it. Many simply drew pictures, but the creative ones were wonderful. Some baked cakes and used candies to demonstrate the various organelles. Once, a girl made a sweat shirt with all the organelles on it. Made a nice 3d image.

Creativity and critical thinking skills applied, while meeting the mandated state curriculum. They also learned the various functions and names of cell organelles through homework, quizzes and lecture. Very few were interested in the cell though.

the point here is that the state defines the curriculum. Students are expected to meet minimum requirements (exams) to demonstrate knowledge of the subject area.

No Child Left Behind enables the federal government to examine how students are learning and to pinpoint trouble spots.

That's true, but there's a flipside as well; poor performance in one part of the school can wreck it for the whole thing. You could be teaching happily along with your science class, and everything is going great, but the English as Second Language students aren't doing well, and after a few years of it you lose your charter and most of you lose your jobs.

So, the pressure gets ramped up, across the board, to make damn sure that each and every aspect of the schooling pertains to things that help pass the test. When the test becomes the only way the school is measured, it becomes the primary focus for the school.

It's an unintended consequence from something designed to be good...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:01 am
Yes, there are standards, state-defined. They cover content and also indicate how a student should be thinking to some degree (you'll have to pardon me, I have an ear infection and am not as coherent as I want to be). You can look into the standards on state doe websites. There is also a national standard which many state standards have taken as their own.

Many of us here don't think the standards are ALL BAD. I think that something had to be done to equalize the education in various school districts and that this was a fair way to do it. But, I also think it has gone too far and is weighted too heavily. I think we should have taken steps towards an end goal instead of jumping with both feet into the deep end.

Now, more to your point: the standardized testing is one of the reasons why we aren't able to cover the standardized test content. As ebrown noted, teachers spend hours out of the classroom in meetings preping for the tests. Students spend hours taking the tests. All this time is spent NOT LEARNING THE CURRICULUM.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:07 am
Quote:

It is interesting that the traditionally conservative McGentrix is arguing that having the federal government poking its nose into education provided by states, local school districts and even classrooms is both appropriate and helpful.

Meanwhile, the usually left-leaning Ebrown, LittleK etc. are arguing that Federal Government intervention is just hurting something better done locally.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:08 am
ebrown_p wrote:
Quote:

It is interesting that the traditionally conservative McGentrix is arguing that having the federal government poking its nose into education provided by states, local school districts and even classrooms is both appropriate and helpful.

Meanwhile, the usually left-leaning Ebrown, LittleK etc. are arguing that Federal Government intervention is just hurting something better done locally.

Darn, I guess we just don't fit into the cookie cutter mold, do we?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:16 am
littlek wrote:
Yes, there are standards, state-defined. They cover content and also indicate how a student should be thinking to some degree (you'll have to pardon me, I have an ear infection and am not as coherent as I want to be). You can look into the standards on state doe websites. There is also a national standard which many state standards have taken as their own.

Many of us here don't think the standards are ALL BAD. I think that something had to be done to equalize the education in various school districts and that this was a fair way to do it. But, I also think it has gone too far and is weighted too heavily. I think we should have taken steps towards an end goal instead of jumping with both feet into the deep end.

Now, more to your point: the standardized testing is one of the reasons why we aren't able to cover the standardized test content. As ebrown noted, teachers spend hours out of the classroom in meetings preping for the tests. Students spend hours taking the tests. All this time is spent NOT LEARNING THE CURRICULUM.

What is on the standardized tests that is different then what is in the curriculum? The ability to read and do math?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:19 am
McGentrix wrote:
littlek wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

What?

ebrown_p suggests allowing students to learn what they are interested in. Allowing them to explore and be creative, you know, like in the real world.

you can be creative and explore in the real world... unless of course you're some quasi militaristic anal retentive who can't function without strict regimen
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:24 am
McGentrix wrote:
littlek wrote:

What is on the standardized tests that is different then what is in the curriculum? The ability to read and do math?

The test and the curriculum are developed together. So, they pretty much coincide. Why?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:27 am
littlek wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
littlek wrote:

The test and the curriculum are developed together. So, they pretty much coincide. Why?

Then where does the disconnect come from in what is covered in a standardized test and what should be taught in school?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:27 am
littlek wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
littlek wrote:

Then why the statement " All this time is spent NOT LEARNING THE CURRICULUM."?

If you are teaching the curriculum, then you are teaching the NCLB standardized test. If the children are learning the curriculum, then they should have no problems on the test.

If they aren't learning the curriculum, I want to know about it and I want to know what's being done to rectify it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 10:31 am
McG, did you read my post? I'm too addled with bacteria and medications to continue this. I'll be back.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 11:42 am
McGentrix wrote:

Again... the school is not responsible for teaching your kid values.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 12:01 pm
The problem is that the people who write the tests then determine what is taught.

And everybody, even the kids who already do well on the test, and can read and write, is still taught to the test.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 12:32 pm
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

If the schools are not responsible for teaching our kids values then how come you agree with them talking with and discussing homosexuality with students? Isn't that teaching values which you just expressed the schools are not responsible for teaching?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 01:48 pm
Baldimo wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

If the schools are not responsible for teaching our kids values then how come you agree with them talking with and discussing homosexuality with students? Isn't that teaching values which you just expressed the schools are not responsible for teaching?

I am sure he just meant conservative values.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:04 pm
If you don't like what your school is teaching, take it up with them.

Oh, wait, I guess ya'll ought to take it up with the President... since you want him to decide what gets taught.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 06:22 am
DrewDad wrote:
If you don't like what your school is teaching, take it up with them.

Oh, wait, I guess ya'll ought to take it up with the President... since you want him to decide what gets taught.

You avoided the values issue like an illegal avoids the border patrol.

Bush doesn't tell us what should be taught, they are laying down standards at which our children should have not much of a hard time reaching. What is wrong with children reading or writing at or above their grade level? Do you also have an issue with them doing math at their grade level? That is all this is about. The govt is trying to create a standared for our children and those that don't agree are in reality saying they don't care about the future of our children. I know most of you don't like the fact that money for the school is tied to performance, but it seems the only thing people in the US understand is money. Tie performance to money and scores increase not because they are cheating but because admins and teachers have started teaching what really matters and that is the basics.

When you go to college after highschool and can't do basic math then something is wrong with the system.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 28 Mar, 2007 07:52 am
Schools are definitely a social environment. Kids learn how to get along with other people.

This:
Baldimo wrote:

Does not indicate any value judgement being put on homosexuality.

Baldimo wrote:
What is wrong with children reading or writing at or above their grade level?

The problem is that they can't all perform at or above grade level... unless you live in Lake Wobegone where all the children are above average.

But that's what NCLB purports to do.

I'll say it again: nothing wrong with teaching the basics, but allow teaching past the basics.
0 Replies