FIRST A2K STRAW POLL White House 2008

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:36 am
From that same Buckley piece:

Quote:
It isn't that Tenet now doubts the lethality of the terrorists. What he disputed was an organizational connection which argued for war against Iraq as if Iraq were a vassal state of al Qaeda. A measure of George Tenet's respect for the reach and malevolence of the enemy is his statement that he is puzzled that Al Qaeda has not, since 2001, sent out "suicide bombers to cause chaos in a half dozen American shopping malls on any given day." By way of prophecy, he writes that there is one thing he feels in his gut, which is that "Al Qaeda is here and waiting."

I don't think the American public is going to accept a candidate who doesn't agree with Tenet on this.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 08:44 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm thinking some still don't differentiate between great sounding campaign rhetoric and specifics.

Rhetoric: Every child should have access to adequate health care.

Specific: If elected I will ask for and fight for legislation mandating federally funded comprehensive health care for every child who is without health care.

Rhetoric: It is wrong for the most tax relief to go to the richest Americans.

Specific: If elected I will roll back the tax cuts given to the rich by the Bush administration and in fact will increase the tax rates on all person earning X $$$ or more.

Rhetoric: We must end the war in Iraq.

Specific: If elected, I hope that the first bill passed by Congress and the first bill signed in my administration will be to defund the war and bring our troops hope.

Rhetoric: Strong families raise successful children and keep communities together. While Senator Obama does not believe that we can simply legislate healthy families, good parenting skills or economic success, he does believe we can eliminate roadblocks that parents face and provide tools to help them succeed. A husband and father of two, Senator Obama has promoted strong families in the Senate.

Specific: If elected I will do (something specific)

Safe and unprovoking, huh? Idea
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 09:49 am
Don't really know where to place this item. Perhaps here will just have to do. It does relate to the electoral turning away from what has been going on in certain quarters.

These are some bits from John Hinderaker, conservative fella and die-hard Bush supporter. He's a sometimes contributor to Kristol/Murdoch's The Weekly Standard. He has a blog called Powerline. Three years ago, Time magazine awarded Powerline the Blog of the Year award (a pretty good indicator of what Time has become). The Time description...
Quote:

He is a lawyer, out of the Harvard law school and a fellow at the Claremont Institute. He thinks the media is biased to the left. His notions on global warming, stem cell issues and Darwin are predictable. His bit in the whole Schiavo catastrophe likewise. As perhaps an example of what Time considers flight of fancy, Hinderaker got in some trouble for the following email which he wrote in response to a letter on Jeff (8" uncut) Gannon...
Quote:
You dumb sh!t, he didn't get access using a fake name, he used his real name. You lefties' concern for White House security is really touching, but you know what, you stupid a$$hole, I think the Secret Service has it covered. Go crawl back into your hole, you stupid left-wing sh!thead. And don't bother us anymore. You have to have an IQ over 50 to correspond with us. You don't qualify, you stupid sh!t.

(see here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_H._Hinderaker ).

Some other quotes re George Bush...
Quote:
A man of extraordinary vision and brilliance approaching to genius, he can't get anyone to notice. He is like a great painter or musician who is ahead of his time, and who unveils one masterpiece after another to a reception that, when not bored, is hostile.

Bush and Churchill...
Quote:
Our situation is a little different from the one Churchill faced in the 1930s. Rather than being a voice in the wilderness, our Churchill is actually President. But taking a firm stand against the great evil of our time has made President Bush as unpopular as Churchill was before Munich.

Elsewhere, he's claimed that Bush has "an amazing record of progress" in Iraq. http://www.martinirepublic.com/item/hinderakers-man-crush-on-bush-unabated/

Two days ago, he wrote this on his blog...
Quote:
The truth is that the Bush administration has been extraordinarily scandal-free. Not a single instance of corruption has been unearthed.
http://powerlineblog.com/archives/017470.php

Sheesh.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2007 09:54 am
And (honest) last post of this sort on this thread (for at least a while, but it follows from the earlier post)... from Jonathan Alter at Newsweek
Quote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18367806/site/newsweek/
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:34 am
New polls have her winning it all

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BY MICHAEL McAULIFF
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Wednesday, May 9th 2007, 4:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story
WASHINGTON - Hillary Clinton is riding a surge that has her beating all comers, Democrat or Republican, thanks to Iraq and a strong start to her presidential campaign, polls say.

Four surveys in the past few days find the New York senator with double-digit national leads over fellow Democrats Barack Obama, John Edwards and noncandidate Al Gore.

The latest, a Marist College survey, has her with double the support of Obama or Edwards and with 5-point leads on Sen. John McCain or ex-Mayor Rudy Giuliani in a general election matchup.

"She hasn't made a lot of mistakes in the campaign," said Marist's Lee Miringoff, who thought Clinton's uptick comes in part from her showing in the Democratic presidential debate two weeks ago and in part from a strong overall start.

Her edge over Giuliani and McCain likely stems from the public's unhappiness with the Iraq war. "The Republicans are all tied to Iraq," Miringoff said.

Iraq has not hurt Clinton, even though she voted to let President Bush go to war. "With Iraq, she's made a successful effort to minimize fallout among Democrats," Miringoff said.

Clinton strategist Mark Penn said the debate helped. "People reframed the race, that it was about being ready to be President," he said.

Another factor is some bloom coming off Obama's rose after all the attention he got for being new and equaling Clinton's fund-raising efforts. "We've gone through a phase where people talked about buzz," Penn said. "I think now we're in a phase were people talk about experience."

Miringoff said Obama hasn't yet taken his campaign to the next level. "He had a wonderful start to the campaign," Miringoff said. "Now he needs more."

[email protected]
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 09:43 am
au1929 wrote:
New polls have her winning it all

BY MICHAEL McAULIFF
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Wednesday, May 9th 2007, 4:00 AM

Print Email Suggest a Story
WASHINGTON - Hillary Clinton is riding a surge that has her beating all comers, Democrat or Republican, thanks to Iraq and a strong start to her presidential campaign, polls say.

Four surveys in the past few days find the New York senator with double-digit national leads over fellow Democrats Barack Obama, John Edwards and noncandidate Al Gore.

The latest, a Marist College survey, has her with double the support of Obama or Edwards and with 5-point leads on Sen. John McCain or ex-Mayor Rudy Giuliani in a general election matchup.

"She hasn't made a lot of mistakes in the campaign," said Marist's Lee Miringoff, who thought Clinton's uptick comes in part from her showing in the Democratic presidential debate two weeks ago and in part from a strong overall start.

Her edge over Giuliani and McCain likely stems from the public's unhappiness with the Iraq war. "The Republicans are all tied to Iraq," Miringoff said.

Iraq has not hurt Clinton, even though she voted to let President Bush go to war. "With Iraq, she's made a successful effort to minimize fallout among Democrats," Miringoff said.

Clinton strategist Mark Penn said the debate helped. "People reframed the race, that it was about being ready to be President," he said.

Another factor is some bloom coming off Obama's rose after all the attention he got for being new and equaling Clinton's fund-raising efforts. "We've gone through a phase where people talked about buzz," Penn said. "I think now we're in a phase were people talk about experience."

Miringoff said Obama hasn't yet taken his campaign to the next level. "He had a wonderful start to the campaign," Miringoff said. "Now he needs more."

[email protected]

Anything can change! It's too early to predict that she and only she, will lead. I'm betting that another candidate will emerge!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:33 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm thinking some still don't differentiate between great sounding campaign rhetoric and specifics.

Rhetoric: Every child should have access to adequate health care.

Specific: If elected I will ask for and fight for legislation mandating federally funded comprehensive health care for every child who is without health care.

Rhetoric: It is wrong for the most tax relief to go to the richest Americans.

Specific: If elected I will roll back the tax cuts given to the rich by the Bush administration and in fact will increase the tax rates on all person earning X $$$ or more.

Rhetoric: We must end the war in Iraq.

Specific: If elected, I hope that the first bill passed by Congress and the first bill signed in my administration will be to defund the war and bring our troops hope.

Rhetoric: Strong families raise successful children and keep communities together. While Senator Obama does not believe that we can simply legislate healthy families, good parenting skills or economic success, he does believe we can eliminate roadblocks that parents face and provide tools to help them succeed. A husband and father of two, Senator Obama has promoted strong families in the Senate.

Specific: If elected I will do (something specific) to strengthen American families.

Hopefully in time we will get down to this kind of specifics in order to help determine who will be the most dangerous person to elect to office and which one will frustrate us the least.

That actually made sense.

The specifics certainly constitute a program I'd back. Well, I'm torn about Iraq.

Two nit picks:

1) I dont think any mainstream Democrat wants to "increase the tax rates on all person earning X $$$ or more", beyond "rolling back those tax cuts given to the rich by the Bush administration".

But I wish they would.

2) Though the families paragraph you quote is indeed gloriously (ie: exasperatingly) vague - just your run-of-the-mill politicians' BS - Obama has proposed far more specific things elsewhere.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:46 pm
Quote:

1) I dont think any mainstream Democrat wants to "increase the tax rates on all person earning X $$$ or more", beyond "rolling back those tax cuts given to the rich by the Bush administration".

But I wish they would.

<raises>

I do

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:52 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

But I wish they would.

<raises>

I do

Cycloptichorn

So do I. And I am far from a mainstream Democrat
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:52 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

But I wish they would.

<raises>

I do

Cycloptichorn

Ha!

But I meant mainstream Democratic politicians... am I wrong? (Edwards perhaps, he wondered hopefully?)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:53 pm
sozobe wrote:
Advocate, is that supposed to make the point that Obama doesn't give specifics?

It's a website. That's what the candidates do, with the exception of Kucinich (even Mike Gravel keeps things general). They want the surfer to get a general idea of what the person stands for and not get overwhelmed.

True, but dont you wish by God that they wouldnt?

I mean, if they think surfers will be "overwhelmed" by anything more specific than that, they must have a very low impression of American voters indeed.

Plus, it is not actually even about a low threshold thing. Look at that families paragraph, for example. I'm sure its no more vague and bla-bla than the equivalent paragraphs on other candidates' websites. But it is no easier to read or lower-threshold than the same number of sentences would have been if it had included some specific signature proposal or other (say - and I'm making this proposal up myself - "Senator Obama proposes a federal Future Opportunity Fund that would enable outstanding students from impoverished rural backgrounds to access quality higher education").

In fact, the description as it stands is so boring and meaningless a collection of platitudes that "the surfer's" eyes glaze over halfway through. So its not about not "overwhelming" people, because this bla-bla that politicians pour out over voters must overwhelm most of them to tears too. For any other business, any junior communication staff knows that to catch people's attention, include a bulletpointed concrete example for each point you make. Only in politics will they not burn their hands on that.

And thats because what its about is not low thresholdism, but simply cowardice. Avoiding any kind of detail that might turn any kind of voter off. Obama is certainly no worse on this than any of the others. You'd just hope that he, or anyone, would be better.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 02:56 pm
The platforms need to be structured online in the same way as, say, a Dell computer model.

The first thing you see, that anyone sees, is a general overview. Want specifics? Click through for more. Want technical specs? Click through there for more.

The audiences for the different levels of your arguments will be self-selective. Hell, write a white paper on each topic and post the summaries on the front page, with the details available in a .pdf...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 03:08 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The first thing you see, that anyone sees, is a general overview. Want specifics? Click through for more. Want technical specs? Click through there for more.

Agreed, but if the general overview is as bla-bla-ish as that family paragraph that was quoted here was, they've lost me already even before I get to the "click here for more information" link. If I read three sentences like that, I'm off elsewhere. It should be easy to find specifics (talking about low thresholds!)

I remember - I dont know about pres candidates right now, havent given it a try for a while - but trying to convince some newbie radical conservative here that, you know, his local Democratic candidates did not propose eating babies and selling the US to the Arabs, I checked out the sites for the Dem Senate and House candidates for his state. Looking for some program page, however cursory - some kind of bullet points list with things they proposed doing when elected or something.

Nothing doing. In the end I found one candidate who had a very generally formulated platform page with six or seven points or something. The others all only had stuff like this families-para, which I skip as soon as I see it - nothing I could bring here to say, look this is simply what he proposes. Was a deflating experience..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 03:12 pm
Yeah, I know.

I suppose the idea is that people like you will find the information no matter what, and they have to try to reach the people whose attention spans are significantly shorter.

But for sure, I wish websites were way way way more substantial than they are.

I've found that looking in the "speeches" and "press releases" sections (most candidates' websites have them) yield more info than the "issues" sections. (Which is dumb, of course, but FYI.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 03:26 pm
sozobe wrote:
I suppose the idea is that people like you will find the information no matter what, and they have to try to reach the people whose attention spans are significantly shorter.

Well but thats what I mean - how's a paragraph full of meaningless platitudes gonna keep anyone with a short attention span either? That rationale just doesnt hold up. Putting up, instead of two paragraphs of policy specifics, two paragraphs filled with bla-bla platitudes is not going to keep people with short attention spans focused any better.

So no, I dont think they are just charitatively trying to cater for the short attention spans. If they'd wanted to do that, they'd put up a five-point bullet list on the front page saying: "These will be my five first decisions when I am in office". That would work splendidly for the short attention spans.

But nobody dares to do that, because who knows whether this or that one of the five might not chase away that key 1% switch voters? So instead, they all put up mindnumbingly boring platitudes that are not going to interest the short attention spans any more than anything issue-related would do, but at least wont land them in any kind of trouble.

Its not about catering for the quickly distracted - its simply cowardice. This stuff is not meant to inform, period, neither those with short nor long attention spand - its just meant to create a fuzzy feeling.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 03:31 pm
I didn't say "inform," I said "reach." That's not incompatible with what you're saying. Create a fuzzy feeling, yeah. Make it more likely that this short-attention-span person will say "Gee, I like this guy," yeah. Stupid, yeah. (You did catch that I don't like it either...?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 03:40 pm
OK so on re-reading, "find the information no matter what," followed by "reach" could mean "get them the information..." That's not what I meant.

I mean, the people who are really looking for information and really WANT the information can probably find it. (Buy the book for example, if we're talking about Obama. Lots of ways to get the info on the web.) People who know only the vaguest thing about him and plonk his name into Google and end up at his website are subject to whatever the PR people think will get them most enthusiastic about Obama fastest. It's more about advertising than information.

Which I think it's incredibly stupid and, yes, I wish Obama would break the mold there and have a website that provides real information without platitudes. Maybe that will come further into his campaign. Would be nice.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 03:43 pm
nimh wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Agreed, but if the general overview is as bla-bla-ish as that family paragraph that was quoted here was, they've lost me already even before I get to the "click here for more information" link. If I read three sentences like that, I'm off elsewhere. It should be easy to find specifics (talking about low thresholds!)

I remember - I dont know about pres candidates right now, havent given it a try for a while - but trying to convince some newbie radical conservative here that, you know, his local Democratic candidates did not propose eating babies and selling the US to the Arabs, I checked out the sites for the Dem Senate and House candidates for his state. Looking for some program page, however cursory - some kind of bullet points list with things they proposed doing when elected or something.

Nothing doing. In the end I found one candidate who had a very generally formulated platform page with six or seven points or something. The others all only had stuff like this families-para, which I skip as soon as I see it - nothing I could bring here to say, look this is simply what he proposes. Was a deflating experience..

Ever use one of those sites that says 'flash version/non flash version?' or 'frames/no frames?'

We need politics sites that have a front-end loader which says 'wonk/non-wonk....'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 03:45 pm
Heh! Totally...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 04:05 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
We need politics sites that have a front-end loader which says 'wonk/non-wonk....'

Cycloptichorn

Yeah but -- OK, I must not be expressing myself clearly.

There's the wonk / non-wonk division, sure. There's the polit-geeks like us who are interested in white papers about individual issues, and the majority who isnt.

But I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about why candidate sites dont offer bite-sized, two-minute read presentations of actual, concrete issues for the non-wonks.

Non-wonks just want a bullet point list they can browse in five minutes in need be, sure. But I'm also sure that they would love a simple, bite-sized bullet point list that actually said something.

Seriously - if every pres candidate was to be made to post a "Five first decisions I'll make when elected" bullet point list on their site's front page, the short-attention span regular folk would love it. I'm sure of that.

They dont want to read through the interviews & speeches section - hell, even I dont - but that doesnt mean they're not interested in anything concrete, period - they just want it served clearly and briefly.

The thing is - this may be a real and legit want on the part of regular, I-got-ten-minutes voters - but thats not one that campaigns actually even want to fulfill.

Because if they'd really put up, for example, that five-things-I'll-immediately-do-in-office list, wow, well, theres all kinds of political risks involved in that.

So instead, they feed you platitudes - that neither us wonks nor non-wonks are interested in.

(I mean sure, emotive ads work, but, for example, this: "While Senator Obama does not believe that we can simply legislate healthy families, good parenting skills or economic success, he does believe we can eliminate roadblocks that parents face and provide tools to help them succeed." -- wonk or non-wonk, all of us are bored to tears before we reach the end of that!)

This wonk / non-wonk division, as a way to phrase this problem, is a distraction, IMO. Real wonks can always find the information, yeah. But what about regular folk who want it served bite-sized, but who do want it to actually say something?
0 Replies